VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some might know if they saw me on the Intro section, I've gone vegan for a week now. I went straight from meat to veganism. Now, what I eat really isn't that much different from before. I've always liked and ate Indian & Chinese food, lots of spicy things and curry and all. But since I've been cooking, everything I make makes me terribly sick. I'll be in pain for several hours. So I'll only eat one cooked meal then just something light later at night, like fresh fruit. Now I can eat the boil-in-bag thing of chickpea curry but those are $2.99 each so it's cheaper to make curry myself, but I'm still eating curried chickpeas and that makes me sick and causes pain. The pre-made stuff doesn't bother me. I made a stir fry of just carrots, green onions, and mushrooms with soy sauce and that made me sick and caused pain. I've eaten spaghetti with pre-made peanut sauce a million times before I went vegan and never had a problem with it. I make my own peanut sauce and feel sick now. I don't want to go back to eating meat. I've never liked much meat and I don't want to support the butchery that has to take place to give me a cut of meat every day. Plus I wanted to get healthy before it's too late. I'm not eating hardly anything now because I feel sick most of the day. I don't know what to do. I hate feeling sick and especially being in pain. The ONLY thing that is different now from my meat-eating days is that I'm cooking for myself vs. pre-made stuff or eating out. Is it possible that my cooking is THAT bad that it will always make me terribly sick? How come I can't cook right like everyone else? I'm not the type that can eat salad every day for every meal (I've tried regular weight loss diets before). So what am I supposed to do?

·
Registered
0 Posts
uhhh.... doctor?<br><br><br><br>
I doubt highly meat has anything to do with it, though the increase in fiber will move things along quicker.<br><br><br><br>
and you don't need to eat salad every day to lose weight. a vegan diet will not automatically help you lose weight, you know.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that you might be getting more fiber than you're used to and it's upsetting your stomach.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... You could be right about the fiber. I didn't eat much bread at all, and certainly not wheat before. And the brown rice is a new thing for me to be eating. I haven't had any rice or bread today though.<br><br><br><br>
And as for seeing a doctor. I can't. That has never and will never be a part of my life. It's not possible without money or insurance. Medicaid is only for kids if you have them, which I don't. There's nothing here for poor people to see a doctor. You either have money and pay for it or you just don't ever see a doctor.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You say you only get sick when you cook-- not when you eat ready-made food right? You did not describe the sickness very well. How long does the sickness last? Do you have diahreaha? Nausia? What sort of pain?<br><br><br><br>
If the pain and sickness have to do with the body trying to expell what you ate (like diahreah a few hours or sooner after eating) with the contractions of cramping usually that go along with food posioning, then you might consider salmonella as a source.<br><br><br><br>
If so, I would think you might be using a chopping block or something that has some low grade salmonella on it. I think you should go over your kitchen and totally clean all of your counters and utensils with bleach. Never use a wood chopping block with an unknown history, and get some of those food grade cutting pads for cutting (cheap-- dollar store). Also clean out your refrigerator. Another possibility is your refrigerator is not cold enough--<br><br><br><br>
If you have sponges and wash your dishes with them, that might be another source-- a sponge is a germ incubator-- toss all sponges-- use those plastic mesh scrubbies.<br><br><br><br>
After the major clean up, make the food again and eat it. If it causes the sickness again, you might want to go to the doctor. As a post above said, there are sliding scale clinics. To save time, get the paperwork you need now--<br><br><br><br>
Many things might be wrong. Appendix, gall bladder, ulcer, hernia. A burst appendix can kill you. If they need to find the source, they will need to do tests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts