VeggieBoards banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very love/hate relationship with showering.<br><br><br><br>
I love to shower. It feels good, I get clean, I feel refreshed, and in the winter nothing feels better than a steaming hot shower.<br><br><br><br>
I hate getting out because hot water dries out my skin! My legs burn and get all itchy and my hands dry up and crack [the skin splits].<br><br><br><br>
The only lotion I have ever used that has done anything is lotion with Oatmeal. I have a big bottle of it that I use after every shower but it does nothing for the burning/itching sensation on my legs.<br><br><br><br>
Any thoughts on how to alleviate the pain of cleanliness?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Shower scrubs with oil in them (H2O Plus has sea salt scrubs, and there are also sugar scrubs - either is made with sugar/salt for exfoliating, oil for a moisturizer, and a scent). A local shop I've found recently that makes sugar scrubs can be found at <a href="http://www.loova.com" target="_blank">http://www.loova.com</a>. The Sea Salt scrub I mentioned can be found at <a href="http://www.h2oplus.com" target="_blank">http://www.h2oplus.com</a>. You might also try baby oil after your shower and see if that helps.<br><br><br><br>
You might also want to put humidifiers around your house (the cheap way is a pan of water on the radiator). Drink your water and eat your fruits and veggies to hydrate from the inside.<br><br><br><br>
And, sometimes, a lukewarm shower (as opposed to a steaming hot shower) is better for your skin, too. I understand, though, how that could be your last choice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ugh, i have this problem too. i have this lotion that i got as a sample when i ordered my divacup. its called pure & basic. <a href="http://www.lifesvigor.com/9295.html" target="_blank">http://www.lifesvigor.com/9295.html</a><br><br>
its works pretty well. also, as cftwo suggested you could try babyoil. vitamin E oil or avocado oil may work as well. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
DON'T use baby oil. The molecules are too big to penetrate your skin and just sit on the outside. It can affect respiration of your skin. Use a rich oil like almond.<br><br><br><br>
Yes...I love hot showers as well. Too hot to be good for me. We have solved this by moving into a flat with no shower and I am discovering that a bath has been kinder to by skin (I am not peeling and cracking in February) and I'm actually enjoying the sensation of pouring water from a jug on me to rinse.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I take super hot showers in the winter too and my skin gets dry. I don't normally have dry skin either! So out come my lotions!<br><br><br><br>
Here is a trick I remember from a long time ago - since I never really had dry skin so I didn't do this very often, my friends with dry skin did it all the time and said it works:<br><br><br><br>
When you get out of the shower put on your lotion when your skin is still damp. This is supposed to help seal in more moisture.<br><br><br><br>
I recommend anything with coconut oil in it (coconut oil straight works great of course but it is quite slippery to have on all day - you have to just apply a little and wait for it to 'sink' in) Also shea butter works great for dry skin!

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, eat fruits/veggies.<br><br><br><br>
the humidifier is a good idea. i don't have one so i leave out bowls of water around the house. (which can be tricky, with cats)<br><br><br><br>
i also don't use any chemical lotions. shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil are my main ones that i use. and you don't need much at all, either.<br><br><br><br>
another thing i've found that works for me - my bathroom is in my bedroom, so whenever i shower, i plug up the tub so the steam helps put moisture in the air and also having the tub full of hot/warm water puts moisture into the air, too. it also helps it to not be so cold when i get out.

·
Banned
559 Posts
agreed!<br><br><br><br>
i take burning hot baths and showers. i hate showering though, because i dread getting out. i just stand there stunned for about 10 minutes cause i'm too cold to move.<br><br><br><br>
and shaving ..dont even get me started on that.<br><br><br><br>
coconut is my favorite. or vitamin e oil.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! My skin is normally dry so when I get out of the shower, it is so horrendous and it feels awful. Even after the lotion I am still itching and scatching at it, which obviously only makes it worse. Yesterday I felt it on my back, too.<br><br><br><br>
I also hate shaving. It <i>always</i> looks like I tried to shave with a shard of glass. I always bruise and get razorburn, especially at my ankles.<br><br><br><br>
I do take baths sometimes, but not all of the time. I really enjoy showering with my S.O. and not just for sexual reasons. I am anemic and so I collapse a lot in the shower so it makes for a good excuse to save some water and just shower with my beau.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My beau keeps trying to get me to stop shaving [as funny as I think that is] because my legs look worse when I shave [burned and bloody].<br><br><br><br>
My 'pits never have problems. They always do well after a shave even without lotion and such, but shaving my legs always presents some intense problems.

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah, i have sasquatch legs! i dont ware skirts cuz it would look funny(a nice skirt with harry legs?) but ill ware shorts. i do shave my pits though with no problems.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a short skirt I will wear in the summertime, and long floor skirts I wear more often [they're nice for interviews and dressing up to go out ... which I never do ... haha!].

·
Registered
70 Posts
My legs used to get super dry, but now I use in shower body lotion. It's made by Oil of Olay. It's kinda of expensive (like $5 per bottle). But, it lasts a long time and I think its well worth it. It makes your skin really soft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts