VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ij.org/media/private_property/ohio/

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=6002

there is an issue in the Cleveland area big in local news, but it is also of national importance and has been on national news.

Lakewood is a nice, old suburb of Cleveland on the lake. It has many old, big, and beautiful colonial homes and many trees. It is a pleasant city, with quirky shops, restaurants, and music. And it is cheap! Unfortunately, that means they have less of a property tax base. A big time developer made a deal with the city of Lakewood to try to save their woes- Clear out this small residential area by the lake, and we will build a nice shopping center and more expensive (more taxes) condos.

Well Lakewood offered to buy the homes off of many of these residents, but some of them want to hear nothing of it. They are protesting, and have filed a lawsuit in order to keep their homes from being bulldozed. The most ridiculous thing about all of this, is that the city claims these houses are "blighted" but their criteria for blighted includes the majority of the city, including the street the mayor lives on! For example, under their definition, if your home has fewer than 2.5 baths and less than a 2 car attached garage, your home is blighted, and subject to be torn down by the city.

Has eminent domain gone too far?

I think so, and I wrote a letter to the mayor stating that I am buying a home in a few years, and I am not interested in buying one in a city that will tear it down if their aren't enought Starbucks!

If you live in the area, you can write something similar:

[email protected]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep. The world needs more Old Navies. No! better yet, let's buldoze your home, and the old navies and build a new Wal-Mart! NO!! Let's buldoze Walmart and build a Super Wal Mart! No, no, no! Let's get rid of shopping forever and eat geneticallt engineered microwavable protein shakes through straws!

Ah, Utopia.

-------Trav--------

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used to cater, while in Arizona, and I went to this great house once, that was restored from the early '50's. It had a slot in the wall where the milkman could put the milk, and a door you could open from the inside to get the milk. And it had real chimes for a doorbell in an inset in the wall, it was great! Brick fence, origional doors. Most of the houses in the neighborhood were similar.

And just a couple blocks west, was strings of grey houses that looked exactly alike. Friggin' development. Let's stop breeding, who's with me?

-------Trav------

·
Registered
904 Posts
Older neighbourhoods are often the backbone of a town or city. It's so narrow-minded to replace homes with some store.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Trav..its called a milk shute. My old house in Milwaukee has one. Good grief! I remember when the milkman used to come to the house
It's official...I'm old.

And I hate to see all the new developement too. Especially when older abandoned buildings could be utilized instead.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Maybe someone could elaborate on this term blighted. What I have read makes it sound like the city is using the fact that these houses have fewer than 2.5 bathrooms, and fewer than 2 car garages as an excuse to tear the houses down. Have I missed something here? How do those things justify tearing a house down?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I hate this kind of thing. There are so many abandoned buildings that could be turned into something beautiful. Why tear down homes, pour more cement and use more resources? Yuck.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Because it's not profitable. There's no corporate profit in consumers holding on to something forever.

In the eye of capitalism, the world is a resource to be exhausted and turned to waste.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
My house has 2 1/4 baths and a two-car, unattached garage. If I lived in Lakewood, I'd be scared. I doubt my township is going to do any such thing, and I'm glad.

People are so stupid sometimes! I am glad, though, that the people of Lakewood aren't going to give up without a fight.

·
Registered
263 Posts
All the smaller houses with only 2 bathrooms should build a three-walled room on the side of their house, out of cardboard or plywood.

It'll be just big enough to fit a VW Bug, and if they put a toilet in the corner, it'll be like an outhouse! Suddenly they have a garage and another bathroom! You don't even need plumbing, just dig a hole under the toilets, and maybe a tunnel leading straight to the Old Navy parking lot. I'm a genious!

-------Trav------

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shamus

Maybe someone could elaborate on this term blighted. What I have read makes it sound like the city is using the fact that these houses have fewer than 2.5 bathrooms, and fewer than 2 car garages as an excuse to tear the houses down. Have I missed something here? How do those things justify tearing a house down?
Yep, that's exactly what they are doing.

Now, Lakewood does have a legitimate concern- their tax base is eroding, and that will lead to poorer schools and even lower property values. So they do have a crisis they need to solve. But in the letter I wrote them, I asked, is there really no alternative? Is it really worth sullying the reputation of your city as one tyrannical to residents?

ETA here's a link to the story on NBC News

http://www.msnbc.com/news/914260.asp

·
Registered
435 Posts
In my mind it would be wise for the city not to pursue this idea of theirs any further. If it becomes well known that the governing officials of this city have no qualms about forcing people out of their homes, I doubt people are going to want to move there. I know I would stay away from a town with a history like that. I must admit this is just about the most ludicrous excuse for tearing down houses that I have every heard.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MyOwnPath

Let's stop breeding, who's with me?

-------Trav------
I'm with you!! I'm with you!! Down with breeding!! Or am I just projecting my utter lack of desire to have children?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
This is disgusting. Who wants to shop at an Old Navy/Walmart/Target/X-grocery store when they can enjoy a beautiful neighborhood with lots of awesome shops, restaurants, parks, and music instead? Certainly not me.

It's good to hear that the people of Lakewood are fighting this.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

My house has 2 1/4 baths ...
Pardon my ignorance, but what constitutes a 1/4 bath room? Isn't a half-bath a bathroom with just a toilet and a sink? So a 1/4 bath would be ... what?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Unfortunately, from what I know of eminent domain laws, the residents may not have much to fight with. Most of these laws give government the power to take your property for any public purpose--which I believe includes redevelopment--and the only thing you get to fight over is the amount of compensation offered.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe

Unfortunately, from what I know of eminent domain laws, the residents may not have much to fight with. Most of these laws give government the power to take your property for any public purpose--which I believe includes redevelopment--and the only thing you get to fight over is the amount of compensation offered.
Thre was something on our local NPR this morning that said that yes, courts have been getting pretty lenient with allowing eminent domain, even for private developers, but these rulings have been abused to the degree that court decisions have started to go back in the opposite direction. Furthermore, I think Lakewoods lawsuit focuses more on their definition of "blighted" and less on the importance of what the city wants to develop.

But you are generally right, there is a good chance they will fail in their lawsuit.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I'm against it.

But you know "it's legal, and good for economy...blah...blah "

(why do people need more than one bathroom ? )

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thi sort of thing really bothers me. I live in an area where there were once beautiful farms and woods, now they've been plowed over for these horrible developement homes. All of the Victorian homes are being knocked down for these sterile looking "custom" homes. It's disgusting, and what bothers me most about your town's situation is this; If your house has more then 2 1/2 baths and a two car garage, chances are you are probably pretty well off. Is this to say that only the poor and middle class are subject to their houses being mowed down?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts