VeggieBoards banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm leaving to go on a river cruise to the Czech Republic, Germany, and France (to celebrate my parents' 30th wedding anniversary) in a matter of weeks and I was thinking it might be seriously difficult to be strictly vegan there, especially with the potential language barrier, so maybe I should just be vegetarian instead while I'm there? But my body has not had dairy or eggs in 14 months, so I don't know if I should start trying to reintroduce those foods gradually back into my diet now or what? I could go back to being vegan afterwards. The trip is 12 days. Thoughts?

I'm mainly worried about how to reintroduce dairy/eggs into my diet safetly, assuming that that is probably my best option right now? Traditional German and Czech cuisine, from what I understand, has virtually nothing vegan.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
There shouldn't be much of an issue of reintroducing these foods into your diet, people often go years with not consuming a particular food.

I wouldn't worry about being vegan while traveling, you're likely to spend too much time figuring out what to eat rather than enjoying yourself. Just do the best you can, be practical and enjoy your trip.

If you're worried about your bodies reaction just try a bit of dairy/egg before you go on your trip.

·
Registered
785 Posts
you should not have any problem finding vegan food in either country. on a percentage level germany has far more veg*ns than the usa, canada, the uk, or oz.

i agree with logic that on vacation i would not be overly concerned about purity. for example, i sometimes eat food that contains animal fat when i travel in the rural 3rd world.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Perhaps you could contact the cruise company telling them that you're vegan and asking their advice?

Just because it turns out that you may not have food suitable for vegans available all the time during the trip doesn't mean that you can't take any reasonable steps before and during the trip to get what you want.

Of course if you need to eat vegetarian stuff (or pehaps, for all I know, even omni stuff) sometimes, then that is what you have to do.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble with dairy or eggs but you can try a little before you leave just to make sure. Have fun and try not to stress too much about food while you're there.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Mod post: I've moved this thread to the Vegan Support Forum because this is a vegan asking for advice and support.

Leedsveg

·
Registered
50 Posts
You should be able to do pretty well in Germany vegan wise, (especially if you are in Berlin), I don't know how easy it will be in France & the Czech Republic though. I had some dairy last winter and it did cause me to get bloated and about 20 minutes after consuming it I was in the bathroom for a considerable amount of time. :p But I was fine after that. If your body tends to be sensitive like mine it might be a good idea to have a tiny bit of dairy a couple of days before your trip, but if not then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you have sensitivities to dairy or eggs before? I did and my body has a strong reaction to dairy but that's not to say you will. Reactions to dairy can range from nausea & stomach aches to mucus build up in ears throat & nose you could get bag under your eyes. I would think the dairy is far less processed than in the states and would be more harsh on your tummy especially since your body isn't used to it. Be careful maybe try to order things you think are vegan instead of things you know are vegetarian. I'm sure there will be plenty of fresh produce and I'm sure you could find beans to cook to.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
So I'm leaving to go on a river cruise to the Czech Republic, Germany, and France (to celebrate my parents' 30th wedding anniversary) in a matter of weeks and I was thinking it might be seriously difficult to be strictly vegan there, especially with the potential language barrier, so maybe I should just be vegetarian instead while I'm there? But my body has not had dairy or eggs in 14 months, so I don't know if I should start trying to reintroduce those foods gradually back into my diet now or what? I could go back to being vegan afterwards. The trip is 12 days. Thoughts?

I'm mainly worried about how to reintroduce dairy/eggs into my diet safetly, assuming that that is probably my best option right now? Traditional German and Czech cuisine, from what I understand, has virtually nothing vegan.
Today I returned from a 12 day Asia trip. I did not compromise my vegan beliefs at all. Twice I was told "just pick the meat off". No deal....I ordered something else, or only ate the rice.

Europe might be different than Asia, but there are vegans in Europe. Review why you are vegan & forget the surroundings. Animal suffering is the same Worldwide. I would eat tree bark on my trip before eating meat. In fact, I had lunch with a lady who did not know I was vegan. After explaining my position, she took all the meat off her food & put it into a napkin. The "tea" she got.....that was made of beef broth.....remained untouched.....even though she had to pay for it. It was a good moment.

Life is not a dress rehearsal.....live it like you want.

Reactions: River

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Today I returned from a 12 day Asia trip. I did not compromise my vegan beliefs at all. Twice I was told "just pick the meat off". No deal....I ordered something else, or only ate the rice.

Europe might be different than Asia, but there are vegans in Europe. Review why you are vegan & forget the surroundings. Animal suffering is the same Worldwide. I would eat tree bark on my trip before eating meat. In fact, I had lunch with a lady who did not know I was vegan. After explaining my position, she took all the meat off her food & put it into a napkin. The "tea" she got.....that was made of beef broth.....remained untouched.....even though she had to pay for it. It was a good moment.

Life is not a dress rehearsal.....live it like you want.

Yes yes yes 1000x yes.
This.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would also not change

for the sake of a trip. I really believe if you contact the group ahead of time they can accomodate you. I think of the times I travel and the extra work I have to do to eat only vegan food. It is a pita, but it is always worth it.

Please think through a plan that can allow you to stay true to your principles. In the end, though, it is up to you.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
for the sake of a trip. I really believe if you contact the group ahead of time they can accomodate you. I think of the times I travel and the extra work I have to do to eat only vegan food. It is a pita, but it is always worth it.

Please think through a plan that can allow you to stay true to your principles. In the end, though, it is up to you.
The airline I flew was Delta & they were great. I ordered veggie meals both ways and got most of what I bargained for. From US to Asia...2 meals...one veggie (very good pasta without cheese), & one "just pick the meat off". Needless to say, after landing & going through customs I found some FOOD.

Asia to the US was OK. Both meals were veggie. The first had something & veggie sushi....and the second one was roasted eggplant, rice & a salad (in Economy class).

I was actually impressed. On the way over, the guy next to me act like 5 or 6 candy bars and some M & Ms cuz he didn't like the food. Eeeeeeeeww.

I was VERY HAPPY to get something I could eat that didn't have critter parts in it.

Life is about the small moments.......

·
Registered
849 Posts
I wouldn't want you to starve, but it might be easier than you think to stay vegan with a bit of forward planning. Do some research now, writing down some useful sentences in each language explaining what you can't eat. Ask for simple meals of grains, vegetables, fruits, beans and nuts. Maybe pack a few high protein bars in your luggage - I find places will happily make me pasta or rice with veggies, but they often lack protein.

Enjoy the trip!

Reactions: Jennifer C

·
Registered
139 Posts
I so know your dilemma! I don't travel often but when I have in the years, that has always been one of the biggest questions I've had to ask myself. I'll admit that most times, I caved in and went vegetarian rather than vegan because it was easier to deal with. I also usually travel with my family and they are very overbearing when it comes to food issues and not very sympathetic to my veganism.

However, I recently had a week long trip with my parents and brother. I've been 100% vegan since January and I really feel awesome with it. So I made it clear to them that I was not going to cave in this time and that I was only going to eat vegan. I did not expect them to be very accommodating about it (especially because my brother is food obsessed - seriously, like in a negative psychological way - and a big meat eater, so he controlled most of the food choices) but I managed to find vegan stuff without much of a problem. I will admit that I was in a vegan-friendly city (San Francisco), but I think that many parts of the world now are more aware of people who don't eat meat. I actually work with students living in other countries as an EFL teacher and one of the activities that I do with them is an article that talks about the "veggie boom" in Europe. So I get a lot of discussion from them about how vegetarian-friendly their country is. Ironically, I have students from all the countries you've mentioned and they tell me that vegetarian options in restaurants and supermarkets are on the rise.

Djuna

1 - 14 of 14 Posts