VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small concrete patio and it doesn't really do much. I wanted to bring some life in with a potted plant of some sort. So I was thinking a lemon tree. I know little about gardening so any advice will help!
I live in Texas and here it's mostly hot, humid, and lately it rains maybe 2x a week.
Will a lemon tree be okay here? Does anyone have one? Do I plant a seed or do I buy a little tree? I have no clue.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
There are dwarf varieties of lemon, as well as other fruits. I think many of them will grow in Texas, and a local cooperative extension would be able to give you advice about what varieties would do well in containers in your area. Just keep in mind that you'll have to be more careful about watering a plant in a big pot, as opposed to one living in the ground- it's easier to overwater or underwater a potted plant.

You might want to start with a plant which would normally be grown outdoors on a patio in your area which is one of the easier, hardier plants. I think citrus trees are supposed to be a bit harder to grow than some other cultivated plants. I don't know if you like zucchini squash or okra, but they're two of the more decorative edible plants: bush zucchini has large, attractive leaves and big yellow flowers, while okra grows tall and looks a bit like a hollyhock. Or you could grow some pole beans and train them into a sort of arbor. None of these live nearly as long as a lemon tree, even with good care- that's just the way they are- but you'd be getting some gardening practice with plants which can be pretty hard to kill.

Edited to add: I think lemon trees are supposed to be quite ornamental, so if you're mostly looking for something that would be beautiful to look at, as opposed to something that produces food, you'd have other options there also. I did try to grow a lemon or orange tree from a seed, long ago- they sprouted, but didn't get very big, and then died.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@TOM Thanks for the reply! I went to the garden center yesterday and oddly all the citrus tress were prohibited for sale. They had tags that said they weren't allowed to be sold and I didn't even get to ask an employee why because they were short staffed and busy! =/
I remember my grandmother having a tangerine tree in a pot and it did pretty well! I just had my heart set on a lemon tree because I wanted a tree but then I figured why not have a tree that can grow something I always use!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A lemon tree would do fine as long as you kept it watered, but not drowned. Honestly though, they take a really long time to produce from seed or even small seedlings. Lemon basil will give you a lemony flavor with the benefit of leafy greens. It's super easy to grow, will fill a pot quite nicely, and the flowers smell like fruit loops!!! Your climate would also be great for a mango tree!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts