VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know my hearing isn't really as good as a lot of other people's. I feel old before my time when I tell people to "stop muttering and speak up", in those primary and secondary school lessons where they are demonstrating frequencies I was always the last to be able to hear the sound (even after the teachers. Even after the elderly teachers. Heck, sometimes I didn't hear it at all before the teacher stopped the experiment). People have the tv turned down seemingly ridiculously low and expect me to be able to hear it, and my dad can hear the radio from the other room and is astounded I can't.

He suggested a hearing test. He said it would explain a lot about why I don't know what's going on 98% of the time (that's hyperbole - I get by in day-to-day life pretty easily, but it's a recurring joke that a LOT of the time I am confused). He even said he is sometimes to harsh about me being a teenager who doesn't listen and thinks that maybe I only hear a quarter of what he gives me credit for and that's why I appear to not listen.

A few years ago in early high school I got very upset at the fact my friends were constantly annoyed at me for "not listening", wouldn't repeat things I didn't hear, and thought I was making fun of them when I said what I thought they said in a questioning voice. I got left out of a lot more conversations. I made friends with louder people.

But is it really worth a hearing test? I don't think it's severe enough to get a hearing aid or anything, and can they do anything to help short of that? I deal fine in lessons and in most conversations, and I live my life alright. So what would be the point?

Sorry this post was so long.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your probably right. It's not getting a hearing adi I'm scared of, it's being told there's nothing wrong with me and I should stop whining, as will probably be the case

1 - 4 of 4 Posts