VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Link didnt work for me but I would suggest allowing animals in if they are behaving themselves and not disrupting other diners. Same rule would apply for children!

Frame.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by frame69 View Post

Link didnt work for me but I would suggest allowing animals in if they are behaving themselves and not disrupting other diners. Same rule would apply for children!

Frame.
There you go Frame :

I reside in the San Francisco Bay Area and love living in a very dog-friendly town, Half Moon Bay. My dogs are a huge part of my daily life, go almost everywhere with me, are very well socialized, and I continually provide them with many training opportunities in public places. I'm not sure I could ever live in a town that wasn't dog-friendly.

Recently, Los Angeles County passed a law that allows dogs to dine on the outdoor deck or patio, provided they enter the patio from an outdoor gate and don't sit on a chair or table. Exercising Fido before he needs to sit calmly by your side is also a good idea.

Lazy Dog Cafe founder, Chris Simms, was elated over the passing of the new law. His Orange County restaurants had been dog friendly since they opened, and he's been eager for dogs to legally be allowed in all nine Lazy Dog Cafes in Southern California. A huge dog lover himself, he knows the uncomfortable feeling of leaving a dog at home on a weekend day, after you've left him all week to go to work. He wanted to create an atmosphere that welcomed dogs, while still focusing on the quality of food and the overall experience for humans.

Dog Enjoying Lazy Dog Cafe

Since the laws have taken effect, there's been an outpouring of positive response and a lot of happy dining dogs. But, what about people who'd prefer to dine only with their own species or are allergic to dogs? Chris says, "We don't want to alienate the people who prefer to dine without dogs. So we provide a non-dog section and a dog section." Sounds a little like the days when there were smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants.

Because I live in a world which embraces all things canine, I was a little surprised when I read some of the comments from this Los Angeles Times article. Many readers thought it weird, inappropriate and obsessive. What do Care2 readers think? Do you take your dog to restaurants? Do you enjoying dining in the company of dogs? Would you be more or less likely to frequent a restaurant that is dog-friendly? Thanks for sharing your comments below and voting in our poll.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/sho...#ixzz1pMjI41FF
I totally agree re children in restaurants. They are far more noisier and less well behaved than most animals that go to restaurants.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I like it. I think it's a great idea that there is a dog and a no dog section out on the patio. As long as the dogs are not inside the restaurant or anywhere near the kitchen I don't see a problem with it.

I had to drive out of town yesterday to take a poodle to a vet . I was hours away from home and it was around lunch time when we left the doctor's office. We (I was with someone else) didn't want to get fast food and have to eat in the car but we couldn't go to a restaurant because we had the dog with us. A dog friendly restaurant would've been perfect.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Shouldn't be a law one way or the other. If the proprietor/property owner wants to allow dogs in his/her establishment so be it. It's their property, they ought to have the right to cater to dog owners if they want. Don't want to eat at a restaurant that allows dogs... go somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Idk, maybe it's a southern thing, but dogs have always been out door diners where I live. I think it's great. Everybody goes for strolls downtown and may decide to stop to eat. Having your dog with you shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I'm confused as to whether they are only talking about patios or not.

I would think most restaurants would not want to have dogs inside. It could be a serious tripping hazard for the waitstaff. And then the hair everywhere! I love dogs a lot, but I don't think they need to be inside restaurants.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
There are dog friendly pubs in London, usually next to parks so dog walkers can stop and get a drink and most pubs in the UK serve food. I think it's a good idea. There are lots of places to eat and drink that don't allow dogs so people that don't want to be around dogs can have that choice.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

There are dog friendly pubs in London, usually next to parks so dog walkers can stop and get a drink and most pubs in the UK serve food. I think it's a good idea. There are lots of places to eat and drink that don't allow dogs so people that don't want to be around dogs can have that choice.
That's true. I guess it would depend on the restaurant. I agree with those of you who said it should be up to the owner. I'm just not sure if I were the owner myself I would allow pets indoors.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I lean more towards no for a few reasons.

1) Liability for the restaurant. If the dog bites, the restaurant can be sued.
2) Tripping hazard for the workers.
3) Dog could lift their leg on the tables/booths and/or poop in the eating area (very unsanitary).
4) Issues with dog hair.

Sadly, the irresponsible owners would make it a problem. In cities around here, it's a health code violation, so it's not an option.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Outside, no problem but inside, no. Many reasons including:
- allergy sufferers
- it'd make the place much harder to clean
- hair flying around
- fleas, other parasites
- dogs running around, tripping people up and annoying other customers

I am aware that there are already human hairs etc., and children sometimes run around annoying people. In terms of food safety and HACCPs I think introducing dogs into the equation would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I don't think anybody's advocating that animals be allowed *inside* the restaurant, but where I'm from, you always see dogs chillin' with their people outside cafés.

And for those that are worried that those dogs might somehow be a menace, I've only met well behaved dogs. It's been my experience that the people who take their dogs out in public, are the most mindful pet people. They spend lots of time socializing their dogs, and their dogs show it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

When I posted mine, I meant outside.
Maybe it's a regional thing, then.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I lean more towards no for a few reasons.

1) Liability for the restaurant. If the dog bites, the restaurant can be sued.
2) Tripping hazard for the workers.
3) Dog could lift their leg on the tables/booths and/or poop in the eating area (very unsanitary).
4) Issues with dog hair.

Sadly, the irresponsible owners would make it a problem. In cities around here, it's a health code violation, so it's not an option.
1. I've been bitten by a child. Should that child not be allowed in a restaurant?
2. I've tripped over MANY children.
3. Poorly-trained children eliminate in public, too.
4. The most germ-infested field in which to work, from what I understand, is childcare.

I think children in restaurants should be held to the same standards that dogs in restaurants are. Also, animals should be allowed in restaurants only when alive, and the purpose is not for them to become a meal.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts