VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently an ovo-lacto vegetarian but i am planning on going vegan next monday. the reason i have to wait is...

... GROCERY SHOPPING. i need some ideas for vegan essentials to put on my list! right now all i know i need is some nice fresh produce! :) any help would be appreciated!!

thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
tomatoes

potatoes

onions

asparagus

spinach

zucchini

squash

eggplant

broccoli

peas

Grapes

oranges

strawberries

apples

bananas

Oatmeal

Couscous

Cornmeal (polenta)

Rice

Pasta

Beans (buy dry & canned. Don't forget chickpeas)

Cereal

Pancake mix

tofu

Tomato sauce

Condiments

spices

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh, and some major grocery chains now sell vegan frozen dinners (at least my Safeway does). The selection is crap, but its a start.

Oh:

Soymilk

Can't get enough of that stuff!

·
Registered
0 Posts
cantaloupe

organic apples

organic grapes

organic cucumber

organic iceburg lettuce

organic baby carrots

frozen broccoli

silk soy milk

stonewall's mild jerquee

Thai instant noodle soups

tofutti cheese

tofutti cuties or tofutti ice cream

extra firm tofu

brown rice

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
"Thai instant noodle soups"

Note that many flavors contain dairy and/or shrimp powder. This was a new addition to the Thai Kitchen brand.

I would recommend buying a good vegan cookbook, such as How it All Vegan; that's what I always tell people who are going vegan. It's essential that you do not rely on packaged, frozen foods, even the ones that say "Organic!" and "All natural!" I maintain that the best food for your body is freshly prepared. When I went vegan, I knew nothing about cooking, and I basically lived off fruits and vegetables, which was fine for a while, but my anemia bit back HARD. I was deficient in B12 and iron, which can be remedied with fortified soymilk and LOTS of really green vegetables. Get romaine lettuce for salads, or even spinach. And for dressing, I recommend Annie's Naturals Goddess dressing. :9

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Congrats on choosing to go vegan!!

I just bought VEGAN PLANET cookbook and love it! It even has some 'pantry' suggestions.

Gruntled Sheep's suggestions were right on.

Don't forget the Vegenaise (it's in the refrigerated section, next to the pickles usually). Nasoya brand's "Nayonaise" isn't that great. but MAN Vegenaise is great stuff.

Nasoya's salad dressings are awesome, though. I love their creamy dill & thousand island. Taste pretty close to the real thing. And they're vegan.

Enjoy!!

amy

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
StvSpl, maybe you should find a few vegan recipes that you like and then buy the ingredients for those?

And then just buy additional fresh fruits and veggies that you would like to snack on.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
A person will only stick to a vegan diet if they can have a few treats, too.
Pick up some creme sandwich cookies (most, like Duplex, are vegan. Oreos aren't.) Some nachos, potato chips... Something sugary like Froot Loops.

And peanut butter.

Oh! Get a bunch of tortillas and hide them in the freezer. Always good for the random hummus wrap or makeshift burrito when you're really hungry and it turns out the bread is moldy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Newmans own mint sandwhich cookies are very good

pistachios, or whatever kinda nut you like

Pasta sauce

vegan bread.

Lite tofu paté. (regular has egg)

Good dark chocolate. Tropical Source?

Soy delicious mocha fudge ice cream

baked teriyaka tofu (great sandwhich)

Tempeh. (grills great...etc)

whole wheat tortillas (vegan)

Barbaras oat squares cereal

vegan margarine and or cooking oils.

brown rice syrup and sucanat

While IM at it, heres a cooky recipe:

(I still owe it to another board) Its extremely yummy, and quite vegan. Mmm.

¡~~~Nutty Chocolate Meltaways ~~~!

2 cups raw nuts (cashew, walnut...etc etc.)

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ cup cornstarch

¼ wheat germ

baking soda

baking powder

¾ tsp. cinnamon

¾ tsp. allspice

¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour

½- ¾ cup vegan chocolate or carob chips

½ cup , or 2/3 if a very sweet, crisp cooky is desired. vegan sweetener (brown rice syrup, agave or ___?____)

Put the nuts in blender one cup at a time and grind them to near flourness. (A few coarse pieces is fine), Combine the nut flour, salt, wheat germ, cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice, pastry flour and chocolate chips. Mix thouroughly.

\tAdd honey and mix, first with a spoon, then with your fingers. Mix until the sweetener is blended with the batter, and the batter holds together when you roll it into 1 inch balls.

\tVery lightly oil 2 cooky sheets. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Form 1 inch balls of the batter and place them on the cookie sheets. (If youve used the lesser amount of sweetner, the cookies wont spread too much, but with the larger amount theyll spread considerably, so leave eough space. Dont flatten the cookies at all.

\tBake 16-20 minutes (until golden at 325 degrees, then remove from the cookie sheet and cool completely on a rack.

\t\t\t\t\tYield: about 30 cookies.

Note: Ive tried this with many kinds of nuts, and many different sweeteners. They all work. IMHO, espresso tropical source chips are good in these. And, feel free to come up with a better name! J

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

hummus. and lots of it
I'll second that, how would i have survived my early stages of veganism without it?

Use it in sandwitches ,as a dip for potato chips, carrots etc. One meal i love as well is roasted veggies then with a side of hummus to dip them in especially roasted potato, pumpkin and carrot.

Plus did you know that a medium serving of hummus provides all your protein needs for the day (if teamed with pita bread), half of your zinc needs, and a quarter of your iron requirements for the day.

Now i'm not sure i can't find the exact quote for that so it might be the other way around anyway either way its pretty nutrious.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i love:

hummus

falafel

. thank you for all the suggestions! i'm shopping either today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oils and spices. You'd be amazed at the variety you can add to dishes just by mixing up the spices and oils. Definately get some recipes or cookbooks and build from there. I spent a few hundred bucks to stock up on grains, beans, lentils, whole wheat pastas, etc. and TONS of spices and cooking oils. Now I just go shopping for the fresh produce each week.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Puffins, Peanut Butter Puffins

Tofutti Cuties are a must

Tofutti Cheese Slices

Vegan Bocas

Vegan Hanburger Buns

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Silk, Plain

Bananas

lemons

Strawberries

Tofu, shelf stable and waterpacked

Cream of Wheat

Oats

Maple Syrup

Vegan Crackers

Tofutti Cream Cheese

Tortillas

Beans, refried

Sugar (turbinado is so very good)

Hey Steve, go to www.vegsource.com for more great recipes. Chef Deborah has a recipe for everything including Veganaise, vegan yogurt, salad dressings, mock meats, desserts.... and her cookbook is soon to be published
Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
0 Posts
A tip for everyone....

Lentils and indian spices, get at a Middle Eastern Grocer

Spices, tofu and cheap sauces and vegan meats (the best)

go to an asain grocer

If you know someone that has a Costco memebership, go and get juices, veagn Bocas, frozen fruits, etc.

Get Walmart to pricematch other grocers.

Write to companies that make vegan foods and tell them you like their product. They will usually send coupons.

Salvage Barns have great deals on produce, ceral (got Puffins for $1.49) and canned goods.

Get your clothes from Goodwill.

Happy Shopping

Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I did my first vegan-shopping excursion about ten days ago -- it was challenging, but fun to discover just what I was going to eat. I got a lot of the things that the others have listed already (and will use some of their suggestions, too).

I tried to think about what foods I already liked that were vegan: fried rice with sweet soy sauce and ginger, bean burritos with tomatillo sauce and Spanish rice, vegetarian vegetable soup, salad with fake bacon bits and sweet 'n' sour dressing (goodbye, blue cheese crumbles!). I went nuts for spices, sauces and condiments. Thai sweet/hot sauce, spicy peanut sauce; I'm even learning to eat ketchup again. Pickles and olives for salty snacks; also chips and salsa. Roasted red peppers are awesome in salads or in pasta sauce.

I love fresh veggies and I did buy several (spinach, carrots, avocado, MUSHROOMS, green beans), but I live alone and don't always finish everything while it's fresh, so I also stocked up on the canned ones also. Potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, chick peas (for salad), bamboo shoots and water chestnuts (for Asian dishes).

I also indulged in a few (pricey) frozen Vegan dinners; Amy's brand has several.

I have to ask my grocer to get Vegennaise -- I tried Nayonnaise and thought it was icky (tastes like Miracle Whip; I was a Hellman's girl).

Anyone know if there are any brands/flavors of ramen whose seasoning packet does NOT contain meat products? I make a great ramen broth myself from soy sauces, peanut sauce, sesame oil, garlic, cayenne and ginger, but I don't want to BUY the meat packets (kinda defeats the purpose of not eating them).

Also, is there a widely-available vegan margarine?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Essello

I LOVE Puffins! I'm eating a bowl right now!
Living in Australia I'm guessing that is not what I think it sounds like - otherwise I'm definitely on the wrong bulletin board.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts