VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this one post and liked the idea for advice. I'm in the US and live in Florida. As of right now the only grocery store I can get to is Sweetbay, I cant drive so its my only option. What are some things I can by for a good Vegetarian diet at this store?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You can't go wrong when you eat a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and nuts. These are things that you can get at any supermarket.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Well, I guess that dairy and eggs are pretty cheap where you live too.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I'm not familiar with Sweetbay, but you can get a lot of great vegetarian staples at a regular grocery store. Big bag of rice, whole grain pasta, frozen peas and corn, fresh produce, canned and dried beans, lentils, fresh bread, canned tomatoes, cashews and almonds...with these things and a few spices, you can cook a ton of stuff

Also, check out this thread. This was super helpful to me when I first joined:
http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...flesh-products

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not familiar with this store, either, but with any relatively well-stocked grocery store, I'd suggest immediately going in for beans, whole-wheat pastas, brown rice, some fresh and frozen vegetables, eggs (if you are ovo-vegetarian), fresh sweet potatoes (very cheap & you can oven roast them and add some honey, butter, cinnamon, whatever you like), crushed tomatoes to make pasta sauce (all you need is garlic, basil, pepper-cheese optional), salad greens (romaine and spinach are wonderful!), and if you're interested, maybe get a good brand of veggie burgers and/or tofu. You don't have to get all of this at once, of course, LOL, but you get the general idea of some of the variety vegetarians have access too! :)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There is a pantry list thread that helped me last week list 6 page worth of stuff I am going to get in march, we are getting a new freezer tuesday so I can get more frozen veg friendly items. I am starting in March near my two year anniversary date (16th) going full veg we are getting some stuff slowly now.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
I'm giving a list for vegan (vegetarian of course ;P) items that I had done already for times like this. I hope it helps!

Legumes Include
•\tBeans
•\tPeas
•\tLentils
•\tTempeh
•\tTofu/meat substitutes
•\tEtc

Vegetables (I won't list them all :p)

•\tCarrots
•\tBroccoli
•\tCollard Greens
•\tPotatoes/sweet potatoes
•\tBell peppers
•\tEtc

Fruit

•\tApples
•\tBannanas
•\tStrawberries
•\tBlueberries
•\tKiwis
•\tPomegranates
•\tGrapefruit
•\tOranges
•\tPlums
•\tWatermelons
•\tEtc

Nuts
•\tPeanuts
•\tWalnuts
•\tCashews
•\tAlmonds
•\tPistachios

Seeds

•\tSunflower Seeds
•\tPumpkin seeds
•\tFlax seeds
•\tSesame seeds
•\tHemp Seeds

Grains

•\tBread
•\tRice Pasta
•\tCorn
•\tMillet
•\tBarley
•\tOats
•\tEtc

EVERYTHING ELSE
--Oreos
--Earthbalance buttery spread (just cheaper at regular stores I think)
--Amy's Tofu breakfast scramble and no cheese bean enchilada
--Boca burgers of some sort
--Triscuits (I carry these a lot as they make a great snack and fill me up for awhile when I'm hungry. Most of them are vegan, not sure about the sugar thing some vegans avoid though)
--Chex mix Original (not actually sure if these are vegan, but they looked acceptable)
--Potato chips (many are vegan) Go for the healthier kind like "food should taste good"
--Gingersnap cookies (many that come in a box and are rather hard I think are vegan, mind the sugar)

Some of these may be harder to find a common supermarkets:
--Eden's organic vegan macaroni and chresse
--Torurky slices
--Smart life tofu dogs
--Thai Kitchen noodle products (on the back below nutrition information it will tell you if it's vegan or not)
--Simply asia noodle bowls.
--Annie Chun's noodle bowls.
--Ricera vegan yogurt
--Gorilla munch cereal
--Boca meatless chicken nuggets
--Gardein meatless strips (they are expensive but they are really good)
--Tandoor Chef Vegan noodles and their balanced vegetarian etrees
--Rice milk (you can also get soy, almond, hemp, oat, hazlenut or coconut. But the hemp, oat, and hazelnut tend to be pricer.
--Sunshine burgers

Also take a look at Peta's "accidentally vegan page" If it is vegan, it's going to be vegetarian

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-li…

If anyone here knows something that isn't vegan or vegetarian, and I put it on the list, please let me know

·
Registered
501 Posts
Are you vegan or vegetarian? If you are a vegetarian, eggs, cheeses, beans, rice, broths, veggies, nuts, fruits, hummus, tortillas, baked vegetarian beans, yogurt, and the like are great. If you need convenience, I love Amy's frozen entrees, especially the burrito and tofu scramble. Lean Cuisine makes a lot of frozen dinners that are veg, and they even have a line with Gardein in it. Healthy choice actually makes at least one vegan entree and several vegetarian.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm new to it also, so before I went to the store I picked out a few veg cookbooks at the Library and made a list of ingredients from the recipes I thought looked good.

I was limited at my local store in what I could find, and the next closest store is over 30 miles away, but I still found enough to buy.

I bought a lot of fruit, vegetables, nuts, rice, tortillas and and many types of dry beans. Most of the items are pretty straight forward, and ordinary (the most exotic item I bought was flatbread and Hummus). I did also buy a few spices I was short on (I'm a cook, so my spice collection has always been fairly large).

The first thing I made a was a big pot of vegetable soup. I just cut up a bunch of vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery - a good base) and simmered them until they were done. I then froze most of it in serving sizes. When I want soup I thaw it and either eat it as is, or add to it (spices, and/or tomato or corn or peas or beans or noodles or left over mashed potatoes - makes a cream soup or rice or anything else I might think of). This makes an easy simple meal I don't get tired of.

As I'm also trying to limit my salt intake I'm making many things from scratch that you could just buy ready-made, such as salsa, spaghetti sauce, and soup.

I did want to make some things I couldn't find the ingredients for - I want to make Seitan (fake meat) but I couldn't find Vital Wheat Gluten so I'm just using beans instead of meat.

I also couldn't find any Tahini for my Hummus, and I've been eating lots of Hummus. I usually like to have a 1/2 slice of flatbread smeared with it along side my soup or salad, but it's kind expensive when you buy it pre-made. At first I thought I was going to have to do without it, but then I subbed walnuts for the Tahini and I liked it. (I fried them and then ground them up).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to buy anything special, just get a variety of items and you should be good.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post

I'm new to it also, so before I went to the store I picked out a few veg cookbooks at the Library and made a list of ingredients from the recipes I thought looked good.

I was limited at my local store in what I could find, and the next closest store is over 30 miles away, but I still found enough to buy.

I bought a lot of fruit, vegetables, nuts, rice, tortillas and and many types of dry beans. Most of the items are pretty straight forward, and ordinary (the most exotic item I bought was flatbread and Hummus). I did also buy a few spices I was short on (I'm a cook, so my spice collection has always been fairly large).

The first thing I made a was a big pot of vegetable soup. I just cut up a bunch of vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery - a good base) and simmered them until they were done. I then froze most of it in serving sizes. When I want soup I thaw it and either eat it as is, or add to it (spices, and/or tomato or corn or peas or beans or noodles or left over mashed potatoes - makes a cream soup or rice or anything else I might think of). This makes an easy simple meal I don't get tired of.

As I'm also trying to limit my salt intake I'm making many things from scratch that you could just buy ready-made, such as salsa, spaghetti sauce, and soup.

I did want to make some things I couldn't find the ingredients for - I want to make Seitan (fake meat) but I couldn't find Vital Wheat Gluten so I'm just using beans instead of meat.

I also couldn't find any Tahini for my Hummus, and I've been eating lots of Hummus. I usually like to have a 1/2 slice of flatbread smeared with it along side my soup or salad, but it's kind expensive when you buy it pre-made. At first I thought I was going to have to do without it, but then I subbed walnuts for the Tahini and I liked it. (I fried them and then ground them up).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to buy anything special, just get a variety of items and you should be good.
Great idea subbing the walnuts for tahini.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First, 4everaspirit, I think Chex Mix has worcestershire sauce, which contains fish (anchovies). But it might be a disputable matter, like the sugar issue. I buy vegan worcestershire, but have been known to eat store-bought Chex Mix. I guess I'm more pattern-of-eating strict than I am ingredient-strict. (I'm with you on the sugar thing, for example).

As for the origional question, what I did when starting out was to make a list of my fave meat dishes and then make a grocery list from those, substituting for the meat. For example, tacos: I knew I needed tortillas, salsa, sour cream, cheese, onions. I decided to use black beans for protein. I bought all that. I'm a planner (sadly, only in this area of my life). I decide what I'm going to eat for 2 weeks and buy the stuff. Sometimes I change my mind, and that puts stuff in the cupboard for another time. I get to it eventually. I also make big batches and freeze individual meals in pyrex lunchware, since I'm a one-person household.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post

First, 4everaspirit, I think Chex Mix has worcestershire sauce, which contains fish (anchovies).
The Traditional mix doesn't. There was just had a bag of it in my house a couple days ago and I read it.

Gardetto's have worcestershire sauce, but the natural flavors were notfrom animals last time I asked. I sent another email not long ago to see if it's the same, but I haven't received a reply yet.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the more "exotic" ingredients... which is why I use Amazon for such things, its been great.

Here is the tahini I get:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s01_i00

Here's some vital wheat gluten:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-...5460274&sr=1-6

And the chickpeas I get (I order the 25# bag but they are out at the moment)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I make a couple of batches of hummus/week... yum

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I'm not familiar with Sweetbay, so I took a look at one of the weekly flyers. Some stuff I saw:

Snyder's Pretzels
Pringles
apple sauce
Gatorade/Vitamin Water
pop
My Essentials and Hannaford juices (I did't look at all kind's ingredients, but what I saw, they are safe)
trail mix
noodles
crackers
many (most) kinds of cereal
oats, oatmeal
I think all Special K Bars are vegetarian
Then of course fruits and vegetables and greens and beans/legumes/nuts and grains.

It also looks like they carry some substitutes and tofu and what not you may or may not want to try. You can ask here on VB or use Google to find reviews on the stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Forster,
Thanks for the links. I'll give them a try.
I'm hoping to get to Missoula next week and visit the Good Food Store (our local health/veg/whole food store). It's the size of a regular large grocery store and I'm hoping to find some options there.
I know they have a lot of bulk foods. I used to make the trip to buy mung beans, alfalfa seeds, radish seeds, wheat, and other seeds to sprout from them.
-I had 12 pet chickens and I would share the sprouts with them. -Most spoiled chickens ever.

I grew up on and around ranches and farms, and I'm able to deal with having to harvest animals for food, I've done it. But from my chickens I learned that I can't deal with it if I raise them myself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also learned it's tough to find a safe home for chickens. I ended up taking them to my 3rd cousin? (my Mom's cousin's daughter - I think that makes her my third) who lives a state over, as she wanted egg layers and promised to take good care of them.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:

Forster,
Thanks for the links. I'll give them a try.
I'm hoping to get to Missoula next week and visit the Good Food Store (our local health/veg/whole food store). It's the size of a regular large grocery store and I'm hoping to find some options there.
I know they have a lot of bulk foods. I used to make the trip to buy mung beans, alfalfa seeds, radish seeds, wheat, and other seeds to sprout from them.
-I had 12 pet chickens and I would share the sprouts with them. -Most spoiled chickens ever.

I grew up on and around ranches and farms, and I'm able to deal with having to harvest animals for food, I've done it. But from my chickens I learned that I can't deal with it if I raise them myself.
The Good Food Store is my favorite grocery store in the whole state. Going to be in Missoula next Friday for my daughters Sr recital and again the following weekend for graduation. Woot. My daughters only black mark is she is a Grizzly. At least they have good breweries for when we visit, lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts