1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some sites and found:

McDonalds

Chicken fat is in the BBQ and Marinara sauces

Beef "flavoring" is in the hashbrowns (I knew it was in the fries but I thought hashbrowns were ok)

Burger King:

French Toast Sticks,, Sourdough bun and Croutons contain "Natural flavors from animal and plant sources"

Onion Rings, Fries and Hash rounds say natural flavoring but no descriptions of what kind. I called the consumer relations and one of the representatives said they were all "Natural flavors from plant sources "

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My vegan ex-gf ordered some French Toast Sticks at BK a while back, claiming that they were listed on peta or some site being vegan. I never trust any fast food though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Most hostess(or was it dolly madison? or both?) products having beef fat in them. I used to eat those donut dunkin' stix things with my family all the time without knowing. And those fruit pies... YUCK!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kittay

Most hostess(or was it dolly madison? or both?) products having beef fat in them. I used to eat those donut dunkin' stix things with my family all the time without knowing. And those fruit pies... YUCK!
It's both, but I think most Little Debbies are safe.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I tried to purchase some chewing gum from the local grocery store. What I found was very annoying. If the gum didn't have aspertame in it, then it had beef in it. Now I ask you, what the heck is beef doing in chewing gum? Also...why must they insist on putting aspertame in such things as Pedialyte?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Although not all sources are animal, I find it really annoying that green olives all seem to contain lactic acid. They're olives for chrissakes!

Slynny, that chicken fat in the Lay's baked BBQ chips thing really bugged me too. I was unpleasantly surprised by that discovery.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Thanks for reminding me- at Trader Joe's they have green olives stuffed with garlic but they list lactic acid in the ingredients. I want to e-mail them to ask the source of their lactic acid ( dairy or plant).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yep...the BBQ baked Lays got to me too. I read the label when I had a chip in my mouth and immediately wanted to puke.

I bought a yellow cake mix (some store brand) and it had beef fat in it. I knew it wasn't vegan but BEEF FAT...come on, why do they have to do that? YUCK!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
This is exactly why I buy most of my stuff at Wild Oats or the natural foods store and I very rarely buy pre-packaged processed stuff. There's too many terms to remember and I don't want to inadvertently eat beef fat.

Beef fat in yellow cake? WTF?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yeah, the cheaper the boxed mix for a bake good (like store brands and Jiffy corn muffin mix) use lard. Truth be told, from a strictly baker's standpoint, lard provides the best (read: most traditionally accepted) results in baking, like lightness and flakiness (in pie crusts). But sheesh, times have changed enough where even omnis don't want lard in their food.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I went to a party on New Year's Eve for my cousin who was retiring. I had requested a vegetarian meal and was looking forward to it. When I got there, they had no idea I had requested this but said they'd put a meal together. I got a disgusting plate with a few raw veggies on it and a spinach dip which I tried and then noticed had ham in it. Obviously the place (a German club) had different ideas than I do on what's vegetarian!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Heck, I didn't even realize that geletain was animal derived for a long time. Its a good thing that I didn't eat much jello whenever my roomate would make it.

I'm glad you guys said something about those lays baked BBQ chips. I was thinking of buying some last week at the grocery store. Now I'm glad I didn't.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Gelatin ARRGH! It's in TOO MUCH stuff! Altoids for Pete's sake! WHY?! I tried a ginger Altoid a couple months ago, only to find out after they have the crap in them.
At least the Sours are safe! I remember finding out about Jiffy baking mixes when I first went veg, and the hostess too BLEAH!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.