VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i sure do!

1/2 pd. Lightlife Gimme Lean Beef or Sausage (i use half of each)

1 can green beans (14.5 oz.)

1 can corn

1 can black eye peas

1 can diced tomato

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 sm onion chopped

1/2 tsp. garlic granules

1 tsp. each dried oregeno & bazil

1/4 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup vegetable broth

Directions: season well until you are satisfied with flavor.

-saute Gimme Lean "meat", onion, & garlic in oil till lightly browned

-add oregeno, basil & thyme

-add flour, vegetable broth (in that order)

-stir constantly till flour covers "meat"

-add tomatoes, green beans, corn, black eye peas, salt & pepper

-spoon mixture into a casserole dish

cover mixture with yummy mashed potatoes, put in 350 for about 20 mins. be careful not to burn the top.. enjoy!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
it will probably be fine to use rice flour.

this recipe is very very good, so i am sure hubby will be happy. here is a corn bread i have served with the dish.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup white flour

3/4 corn meal

4 TBSP sugar

5 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup + 2 TBSP apple sauce (i use baby food)

1/2 cup soy milk

1/2 cup water

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Add wet to dry and stir well.

Bake at 375 in a glass 9" round quiche pan or a 8x11 pyrex, for about 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown. brush with vegan butter. YUM! this recipe is excellent. once i made it and it was not as good; however, every other time it has been. not sure what i did wrong.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Heh! Goes to show how lazy I am! I just mix some veggie "ground round" and some frozen mixed veggies in a baking dish with a boullion cube and a little water, spread some mashed taters over the top (I usually season the potatoes too, with a boullion cube or salt and pepper and garlic) and throw it in the oven and be done with it! (well, until its done cooking anyway, then I eat it!)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mmmm, oneness....the cornbread sounds nummy.
I tried to make a cornbread that was vegan friendly and sugar free...it was basically a hard, tasteless brick. I think a couple of spoons of sugar won't kill me...I'll give your cornbread a try. I bet it is nummy with the shepherd's pie.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i use raw sugar..

here are more omni friendly recipes.. (figured i would post them, so others can have them as well)

here are a few recipes.

chili:

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

2 packages of boca crummbles

1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped

1 large bell pepper, red or green, seeded and chopped

1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped

1 (32- ounce) can crushed tomatoes

1 can black beans, i never drain the beans.

1 can chili beans.

1 can dark red kidney beans

1 can of pinto beans

ground cumin

chili powder ( all of these to taste)

hot sauce

salt

1 can refried beans

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine crummbles, onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute till soft. add all undrained beans except refried stirring to combine. stir in tomatoes.

Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat for a little while, being very careful not to scorch bottom of pan. i serve this with tortilla chips and plain fritos. i top this with guacamole and vegan sour cream.

you can use any beans you like and as many types as you want. this is just what i prefer.

sloppy joes

a couple of packages of boca crummble.

or1 cup TVP w/ 3/4cup boiling water.

1 Green bell pepper -- diced

1 Onion -- minced

1 Stalk celery -- minced

1 Carrot -- minced

1/3 cup Water

2 8 oz cans tomato sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons Red wine vinegar or cider vinegar

1 tablespoon Molasses

2 tablespoons Chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic powder

1 tablespoon soy sauce (lite or regular)

1 teaspoon dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Hamburger buns

(if useing TVP add it to the boiling water and set aside)

"Saute" bell pepper, onion, celery, carrot and boca crummbles in 1/3 cup of water in a deep skillet or dutch oven until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. add (if you used TVP add now)remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until heated through.

Serve on toasted whole wheat hamburger buns.

i have not had the stuffed peppers yet, but it does sound yummy.

Serving Size : 4

STUFFED PEPPERS

1/2 cup long grain white rice (uncooked)

4 medium green bell peppers

1 large onion -- chopped

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup TVP granules ( i always use boca crummbles for TVP)

2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped

2 cups spaghetti sauce

salt & pepper to taste

Cook rice per package directions.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut tops off peppers, seed insides, and arrange peppers in a large baking dish.

Reserve tops and chop usable portion.

Heat oil in a large skillet and saute chopped peppers with onions until soft.

Add TVP granules and stir well.

Add parsley and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.

Add the cooked rice to the pepper & onion mixture and 1 1/2 cups of spaghetti sauce.

Mix well and season to taste.

Spoon the mixture into the peppers and top each with remaining spaghetti sauce.

Cover and bake about 45 minutes or longer.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
lazy half-arsed version:

in a deep frying pan, toss in a can of white potatoes, cut into small chunks, a can or two of brown beans in tomato sauce, chopped onion, a can of corn, and a crumbled frozen veggie burger patty.

i did this the other night when i was desperately hungry and had no fresh produce except the onion. it was really good!! i just dumped in the potato, onion and patty first, browned them a little, dumped in the corn and beans, added some seasoning (garlic powder, sea salt, basil, paprika) mixed it all up and let it heat through.

the leftovers lasted me 3 meals and the entire thing cost maybe 4 bucks lol

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
nooooooo do i have the recipe for you.

Its from how it all vegan and is te best vegan shepards pie i have ever tasted and quite simple too although lots of dishes.

Email or pm if you are interested i'ms ure there are some sort of copyright stuff

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i make yves "chicken" fajitas that even my omni'est of friends love.

i take the yves chicken and cook it in olive oil. i use quite a bit of oil through out the browning. it makes it very juicy and very realistic to actual chicken. once it is well browned i carefully cut it into small pieces. then i sprinkle fajitas mix all over the piece and add just enough water (very little) to make the mix coat the pieces. i also saute lots of onions and peppers and now add them. i heat up enough tortillas for everyone eating. i put the "chicken" mixture in the tortilla and top with lettuce, tomato, vegan sour cream and galcumole. for the hard core omni's yu can always have cheese for them. my friends do not miss it, but it would be better then having to have meat for the omni's. i serve a bean dip with the fajitas. i take 2 cans of vegetarian refried beans mixed with about a 1/4-1/2 can of enchaladas sauce. be sure to not make it runny. once heated i tope it with tomato, vegan sour cream, galcumole. served with chips and salsa..

·
Registered
152 Posts
okay, so i finally tried shepherd's pie for the first time today... and i have silly questions, cuz i was never sure what to expect.

i think i've put it off forever before because of that, and some fear of the unknown. but then today i was looking at all of my leftover veggies, disgruntled cuz there wasn't anything to base a main dish off of, so i remembered this pie thing and decided that would be a good way to make something main course-like out of all of the hodge podge.

so, umm. i wasn't following an exact recipe, though i based it off of the first one oneness posted and another one i had printed out a long time ago. i wasn't sure what the consistency of the filling was supposed to be, thicker or not so thick. so i held back on the full can of tomatoes, to keep it from being too watery. i think that came out alright, but still wanted to ask just to make sure.

and umm.. the potatoes, i didn't know how to tell if they were done or what. i somewhat expected them to get a little crispy/golden without burning or something, but they just stayed normal. is that how they're supposed to be?

and.. in a slight variation idea, i was wondering if anybody else thinks making a knock off of those bisquick type meal mixes where there's a biscuit type topping, would it be a good idea to use some biscuit dough instead of the potatoes?

i hope all that made sense, heh.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i use the flour to thicken mine. i also alot of times do not use broth and the mashed potatoes should be about the same as if straight from a pot. i make them a little thicker for shepards pie.

as far as biscuits sure why not try. i would bake it at a little less then the biscuits call for. i never bake biscuit higher then 350 degrees.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by terrafae

That's sounds like one of my concoctions! Don't you love when those things turn out super yummy? The only drawback is remembering what I did so I can do it again!
i know what you mean. it was almost as yummy as the stew i made a few weeks earlier. i'd run out of pretty much everything, had only a few odds and ends, not enough of anything for a meal. so i tossed it all into a huge pot and made the best stew i've ever had. i just wished i had some mushroom gravy to make it heavier and more meaty-ish, but it really was great without it.

and last night i threw together whatever baking stuff i had and made some really kickass coffee cake muffins. i posted the recipe after. i'm going to go have one i think!

tonight's dinner will be equally creative, i'm drastically low on.. everything.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Y'all eat weird shephard's pie.

Where I come from, it's just hamburg, corn, then potatoes!

I just fry up gimme lean with spices, put a layer of that in a casserole dish, on top of that I pour a can of creamed corn, and on top of that I put mashed potatoes. Then I might crumble a couple crackers on the top of the potatoes and put a few dollops of Earth Balance which will melt and make a nice yellow yummy tato crust.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts