VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at adoption ads from the local humane society shelter and the poor mutts! I just want to take all of them home!!!

I wonder, does anyone volunteer at a shelter? I was thinking I might do it if I ever find the time...

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael that's awesome! I wish I worked for a company like that! One huge multinational corporation I worked for, after you volunteered for 40 hours, had you get a mental examination.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I volunteer at my local humane society. I walk the dogs that are in the shelter. The poor dogs start to get depressed without interaction from people. I wish I could take them all home with me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have just started doing some walking for the local "Lost Paws" pound. If I didn't live in a townhouse, I would have about 6 or 10 mutts living with me right now. It is really difficult to see all the other animals there. It is always a good idea to encourage everyone you know if they are thinking about getting a companion animal they should look into rehoming a homeless pet.

Also, my fiance does some carpentry for them, and somepainting. Doesn't even matter what your skills are, theres always something to do.

cheeno

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i wish i could, but i don't drive also and it's too far to walk. however since i'm unemployed once again, if i don't find something quick (hoping i do) i may bus over to the humane society and see if they need dog walkers. i'd rather play with the kitties because i'm not a dog person but i know the dogs get sad and antisocial if nobody spends time with them and then they're harder to find homes, nobody wants to adopt the sad little dog sitting in the corner, right?

i actually have some stuff stashed in my closet that i'd bought to donate to a no kill shelter that was trying to get established, but i moved before i had a chance to go and now their website is gone so i wonder if maybe they gave up

·
Registered
878 Posts
hello

i vollenteer at me spca with my friend every weekend in the morning of sat and sun we wake up @ 830 (thats hard for me and i never get to sleep in anymore damn skool )and we go and walk the dogs for like 1 1/2 its fun ! i love the ani's there !

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I vollenteer at Humane Haven Animal Shelter. It is a non-kill shelter for dogs and cats. I really love it. I do get very attached to all the pets, and sometimes thier leaving is bitter sweet, but all in all, I know these guys are going to be well taken care of.

My shelter does a lot of pre-screening of potential adoptors. We make everyone who is going to live with the pet, come and visit with us and the pet. We also make the family do a little research on the breed of pet they are going to adopt so they can fully understand what to expect from this pet. Doing all this really turns some people off, but it makes sure that our pets are going to good safe and loving homes.

As I have mentioned on many boards, I have two dogs, three cats, two birds, two fish tanks, and three year old twins. I guess I just love my life filled with NOISE and STRESS!! No, just kidding, I love them all, and couldn't imagine not having them around. They make my day, everyday!!!!

I would say anyone considering volunteering should really ask themselves if they could handle not going to a non-kill shelter. I couldn't. I could not love an animal look him in the eyes, and know his time was running out. Unfortunatly for all the people who don't care about fixing their pet, this is a reality for soo many dogs and cats, but I just can't handle facing it eye to eye.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I wish I could volunteer but I'm busy with mommy stuff right now. I 'd also probably try and take all the animals home. My neighbor just got a job as a humane enforcement officer- like an animal cop (like that show on animal planet) . I really respect that, wish I could but I'd probably hurt somebody!

·
Registered
371 Posts
i volunteer. it is harder if you find it difficult to separate yourself abit from the situation- i.e. you can't take every animal home and if volunteering is going to make you come home crying every night it's probably not worth it. personally, i love volunteering because i think it really does make a difference.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
oh you definetely should volunteer Max, it's a very rewarding job working with the dogs.

I've been volunteering at our animal shelter for just over a year now and I love it. I clean the dog room, letting all the dogs out, cleaning their cages, feeding them and such. That's once a week about 4 hours. And then I work at their adoption events, talking to potential adopters. I also foster animals for them so that they can take in more animals, meaning less animals get put to sleep in our city. Before I started fostering I would stop by a few times a week to take dogs for walks, or every once in a while take one home for the night. I don't have any dogs of my own and have no plans of adopting any dogs anytime soon but I do enjoy fostering and volunteering at the shelter.

·
Registered
0 Posts
muppetcow, I'm originally from Nebraska--just moved from there to California two years ago. When I return to visit my parents... oh man... everybody calls me "Sequoia Bark" because I'm a veggie. Haha.

I don't volunteer directly for a shelter, but since I crochet, I donate snugglies (crocheted cotton cat-sized blankets) to Town Cats, a no-kill cat shelter here in the Bay Area. My husband and I adopted an adult cat, Guinness, from Town Cats and we have nothing but praise for their organization.

http://www.towncats.org

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
This is why I want to set up my own dog rescue, to take doggies who are on death row and save them... I cry almost every time I go the the RSPCA... it's horrible... because I can't take them all home I feel terrible.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts