VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may regret doing this (since i wanted to keep this yummy stuff all to myself!) but since I love to pass the good news to all my fellow vegans about great products, I will spill the beans.

"Sheese" the yummy vegan cheese from Scotland is now available to order online at several more stores! Good news travels fast!

Vegan Essentials

Pangea Vegan Products

Food Fight Grocery

(and of course, VBs own lilacwines store Three Little Figs will still ship it out to you as well I assume
)

I am happy because Vegan Essentials is very near me and now I can go and pick it up!
Unfortunatley they are out of most of the flavors now so I have to wait two weeks.
Vegan Essentials will let you pre-order if you want to wait though.

Long live good vegan cheese!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maybe i just tried the wrong one but when we tried scheese it was

Granted that was the first vegan cheese we tried and so we hadn't really got the hang of non dairy cheese yet.

Since then we have come to like Cheezly. Do I need to give Scheese another try? Any flavours you recomend?

How do you compare it to the taste of cheezly?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Maybe i just tried the wrong one but when we tried scheese it was

Granted that was the first vegan cheese we tried and so we hadn't really got the hang of non dairy cheese yet.

Since then we have come to like Cheezly. Do I need to give Scheese another try? Any flavours you recomend?

How do you compare it to the taste of cheezly?
Hmm, not really sure. When did you have it last? I don't know if they changed the product or anything. I just discovered Sheese (they just changed the name from Scheese to Sheese) a few months ago. I haven't had Cheezly yet - although I hear it is good. Can't get it here in America.

To me, I like the Sheese because it is WAY better than the American vegan cheeses which often taste gritty and oily with no resemble to cheese at all. Sheese I can eat right out of the package on my crackers. (I may change my mind when I get to have Cheezly some day who knows..but this is good enough for me for now!)

I prefer the Cheddars - The only flavor I haven't tired yet is the Strong Cheddar. I have a hunch that will be my fave because I used to love Sharp Cheddar dairy cheese. The Blue flavor was a bit disappointing (they need to make it a bit more fermented to get that sourness). My bf used it on pizza instead of eating it straight. I might try it for a blue cheese dip.

Here is the website to the American distributor that is carrying Sheese:

http://www.blackduckimports.com/products.cfm

You can look on there and see if the ingredients are the same. They changed the packaging to. It is a lot nicer.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
MMM..I wonder does the sharp cheddar taste sharp? The cheezly sharp cheddar is very mild. Disapointing because I too liked it sharp.

We ate scheese 1.5 years ago. I did notice at my HFS they had different packaging--hadn't noticed the missing c.

May be time to give it another go. Especially if we can get some sharpness into the cheddar.

I can't compare it to american vegan cheese as I didn't become a vegan until we moved to the UK.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your very welcome!

Yes, the missing 'c' and the new packaging is VERY recent (in the last two months recent).

The Strong Cheddar (which i am waiting to try) is SUPPOSED to be stronger than the Medium Cheddar which I have right now. And I like the Medium Cheddar - it has some 'kick' to it so I am hoping that the Strong will be even more 'kicky'.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
ha ha--just noticed your tagline. I *love* the Young Ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've actually found a bag of roast ox crisps (I thought for sure Vyvian was making that up) and they were SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS. ha ha ha I bought a bag and Spiderman ate them and then we sent the bag to a friend of ours who is a big Young Ones fan.

I will definantly try the sharp cheddar when I finish my Cheezly gouda. Thanks!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

ha ha--just noticed your tagline. I *love* the Young Ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've actually found a bag of roast ox crisps (I thought for sure Vyvian was making that up) and they were SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS. ha ha ha I bought a bag and Spiderman ate them and then we sent the bag to a friend of ours who is a big Young Ones fan.

I will definantly try the sharp cheddar when I finish my Cheezly gouda. Thanks!
Really? I thought Vvyian was making that up too...Or at least, to be mean to Neil and not get him veggie crisps!
Vegetarian Roast Ox Crisps..hmmm, interesting!
I love the Young Ones too ...I remember watching them on MTV a very Loooong time ago! Now I watch on BBC America when they are on.

How is the Cheezly Gouda btw? The Sheese One is Ok for me. Definatley more of a 'wine' cheese -tasted good with some red wine!

On a side note, I served a plate of Sheese (blue, gouda, edam, hickory smoked cheddar, medium cheddar) and crackers at a veggie potluck this past Sunday and the two Cheddars were definatley the favorites (than again I AM in Wisconsin - home of Cheese)! Everyone was quite impressed at the taste!

Let me know when you get to try the Strong Cheddar what you think.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Cheezly gouda is by far the best tasting one. It is really creamy.

How does sheese (I keep trying to put that damn c back in there) melt?

Cheezly labled super melting cheezly gets soft and gooey but never stringy like cheese. But I made a risoto with roasted sweet potato and caramalised onions and added some gouda and it was YUM. Very creamy and gooey (original recipe called for feta)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Cheezly gouda is by far the best tasting one. It is really creamy.

How does sheese (I keep trying to put that damn c back in there) melt?

Cheezly labled super melting cheezly gets soft and gooey but never stringy like cheese. But I made a risoto with roasted sweet potato and caramalised onions and added some gouda and it was YUM. Very creamy and gooey (original recipe called for feta)
I have only tried melting the mozzerella and the blue - both on pizza. Have to admit neither melted very well. They just got sort of soft - no cheese 'stringy'. They have a section on the original Scheese website for tips of how to melt.

For the pizza, you have to put the sheese UNDER the sauce otherwise it will burn. I think some of the other flavors are supposed to melt best in a saucepan first and than put them on the food.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Thanks for posting about the name change. I was wondering about that, since someone on another forum recommended sCheese, and I bought some sheese at the local HFS.

I thought it was nasty and vile. Cheezly was far preferable.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wondering if any of you that have had both the Cheezly and Sheese have ever tried any American brands of vegan cheese?

If you have, which is the worst amongst the three to you?

I am hoping I will get to try Cheezly some day. If anyone knows a way I can get some to the States without having to take a trip to UK let me know.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just tried the smoked Cheddar Sheese and loved it. Even my mother liked it and she is omni. It is expensive though, I paid $9.95 for one. So I don't know when I will be trying it again. The only thing I don't like about it, besides the price, is that you have to use it within 7 days. It takes me 2-3 months to use up a package of Tofutii cheese.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

I just tried the smoked Cheddar Sheese and loved it. Even my mother liked it and she is omni. It is expensive though, I paid $9.95 for one. So I don't know when I will be trying it again. The only thing I don't like about it, besides the price, is that you have to use it within 7 days. It takes me 2-3 months to use up a package of Tofutii cheese.
I wouldn't worry about that 7 day rule. I have had five open Sheeses sitting in my fridge for several weeks and they are still fine. Before that I had a few Sheeses open for over a month and they were also fine. Just keep them in a good air tight package like a zip lock baggie.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got my Sheese order yesterday so I'll give my review of the Strong Cheedar flavor. It does have a 'kick' to it but I think it could be sharper IMHO. I was expecting it to be a orange cheese like the Medium Cheddar and instead it is white. It has good taste but nothing as spectular as I was hoping for. It tastes a bit similar to the Cheddar with Chives flavor.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Just wondering if any of you that have had both the Cheezly and Sheese have ever tried any American brands of vegan cheese?

If you have, which is the worst amongst the three to you?

I am hoping I will get to try Cheezly some day. If anyone knows a way I can get some to the States without having to take a trip to UK let me know.
You could try goodness direct (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/). Acording to them it's refirdgerated. But I've brought some and kept it out of the fridge for about 24 hours plus and it's been fine. So maybe with some negotiation they may ship some to you. They do say they only ship within the EU but if you want something shipped further to email and equire, so it's worth a try.

I've never tried scheese. I'm not sure I've actually seen it anywhere. I've tried cheezly a few times at vegan festivals and brought some slices of it once because they were reduced to 50p (and even i cant resist a vegan food bargin) . But to be honest i dont find it that appealing. It has got better with time, but it's nothing that special. Plus it's a bit too processed for my liking. Though when i'm in a junky food mood, like i am at the moment, it suddenly becomes more appetising. Hmm time to raid the wholefood shop i think.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

You could try goodness direct (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/). Acording to them it's refirdgerated. But I've brought some and kept it out of the fridge for about 24 hours plus and it's been fine. So maybe with some negotiation they may ship some to you. They do say they only ship within the EU but if you want something shipped further to email and equire, so it's worth a try.

I've never tried scheese. I'm not sure I've actually seen it anywhere. I've tried cheezly a few times at vegan festivals and brought some slices of it once because they were reduced to 50p (and even i cant resist a vegan food bargin) . But to be honest i dont find it that appealing. It has got better with time, but it's nothing that special. Plus it's a bit too processed for my liking. Though when i'm in a junky food mood, like i am at the moment, it suddenly becomes more appetising. Hmm time to raid the wholefood shop i think.
Thanks! I had actually tried that site a few months ago and it said they wouldn't ship to US so I didn't order any further. I didn't try emailing though. I would like to try it - I'm OK with the Sheese for now until I do.

On their website (which they just redid), I think they have the locations where you can get it. Looks like they are adding even more flavors and now they have spreads! They must have just added those!
Ooo, can't wait to try those! Yum!

http://www.scheese.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Thanks! I had actually tried that site a few months ago and it said they wouldn't ship to US so I didn't order any further. I didn't try emailing though. I would like to try it - I'm OK with the Sheese for now until I do.

On their website (which they just redid), I think they have the locations where you can get it. Looks like they are adding even more flavors and now they have spreads! They must have just added those!
Ooo, can't wait to try those! Yum!

http://www.scheese.co.uk/
Ah yes! I have seen it. I think my local wholefoods shop stocks it. I shall investigate tomorrow. Always looked okay but they are serioussly in need of a logo/site redesign. Has anyone actually tried the new creamy sheeses? Whats the garlic and herb one like? I'm trying to find a replacement for roule, you know the french soft cheese with garlic and herbs. I wonder how similar it is. Hmmm.

As for Cheezly, as far as i know goodness direct are the only people selling it online. You could always find a willing brit to post you some. Though not sure how customs etc would like it or how it would travel.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Ah yes! I have seen it. I think my local wholefoods shop stocks it. I shall investigate tomorrow. Always looked okay but they are serioussly in need of a logo/site redesign. Has anyone actually tried the new creamy sheeses? Whats the garlic and herb one like? I'm trying to find a replacement for roule, you know the french soft cheese with garlic and herbs. I wonder how similar it is. Hmmm.

As for Cheezly, as far as i know goodness direct are the only people selling it online. You could always find a willing brit to post you some. Though not sure how customs etc would like it or how it would travel.
The Creamy Sheeses are brand new. You might have them in UK before we get them here in US. I emailed Vegan Essentials (an online US vegan store that sells Sheese) and the girl said they are definately planning on having the spreads to purchase online soon. She said they just send her some samples and they were all really good.

I did see Cheezly on a few other misc. online stores but none of them would ship to US either.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts