·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an interesting conversation with a nephew's wife the other day:

Her: We're thinking of getting a dog for the kids
Me: Yeah, dog's are great, but can be a lot of trouble
Her: I know, but you see when I was young we always had dogs and animals
and I always loved animals, so I suppose I should get one for our kids.
Me: You always loved animals?
Her: Oh yeah, I always loved all animals.
Me: That's interesting, why do you keep eating them then?
Her: (silence) followed by strange look, then, I don't eat dogs!
Me: Yeah, but you said you loved all animals, so why would you keep
eating them?
Her: (silence again) followed by embarrassed look, then, but everybody
eats animals!
Me: I don't.

After this, my wife, (another omnivore), sort of made a joke about it and the subject was changed.

Just wondered had anyone else ever had an encounter like this? and what was the outcome.
Needless to say, the lady in question now gives me a wide berth!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I had a similar conversation with a co-worker a few months ago. She and her partner had found some abandoned, starving horses on a hilltop. They went to great lengths to save them. They posted pictures & requests for help on FB and I thought this was very admirable of them. When I saw her at work, she was still talking about it, and was clearly very upset about the horses being mistreated. I said "so does this make you think about switching to vegetarianism?" She answered "Why would it?"

I asked her if she would've felt the same way if they had found abandoned, starving cows instead of horses? She said, "probably, but I'm not going to stop eating them."

I just walked away, the flaws in her logic were way too much to deal with. I had truly hoped the experience had changed her views on eating meat. Left me wondering if she really even cared about those poor horses or if she just helped them to get attention and to have people say "oh that's so awesome of you!" which I suspect is the reason people say they love animals when they really only love them when they can get something out of it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I always like to think that experiences like that can change people or get them to rethink how they view other animals, unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen all that often. I first started to seriously consider these things when my family began keeping chickens. It was an eye opener that these animals really weren't any different from our dog or cat or rabbit. I gave up chicken right away, but having pet chickens while eating others for dinner didn't seem to bother the rest of the family, even though they all call themselves animal lovers.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I honestly think we're the lucky ones. I like having a clear, uncompromisable conscious when it comes to my relationship with animals.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I don't like to do things like that that might put them on the defensive.
I see people like that as possible converts but instead of preaching I try to subliminally encourage or inspire them to become vegetarian or vegan. Like I'll be eating something, especially things like fake meat that they might think won't be as good as omni food, and say, "Yum, this is so good!", or say something like, "I feel so great, I have so much energy, especially since I stopped eating meat!". Also, they have thought about vegetarianism in the back of their head, so breaking down that wall they may put up between veg*ns and omnivores is a great way to subconsciously change the way they think. For example, teach them it's easy to be vegetarian or vegan by saying something like, "Oh, that's my favorite food! I love to vegetarianize/veganize it!" if they mention a meat dish that they ate and liked or if your eating the same foods together say something like, "Yum, isn't this good?" or something like that to draw attention to the fact that your eating the same thing so they'll know, at least in the back of their heads, that good, common foods are vegetarian or vegan. This is especially helpful with me when I'm at school and eating the same thing as friends, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the cafeteria.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I don't like to do things like that that might put them on the defensive.
I see people like that as possible converts but instead of preaching I try to subliminally encourage or inspire them to become vegetarian or vegan. Like I'll be eating something, especially things like fake meat that they might think won't be as good as omni food, and say, "Yum, this is so good!", or say something like, "I feel so great, I have so much energy, especially since I stopped eating meat!". Also, they have thought about vegetarianism in the back of their head, so breaking down that wall they may put up between veg*ns and omnivores is a great way to subconsciously change the way they think. For example, teach them it's easy to be vegetarian or vegan by saying something like, "Oh, that's my favorite food! I love to vegetarianize/veganize it!" if they mention a meat dish that they ate and liked or if your eating the same foods together say something like, "Yum, isn't this good?" or something like that to draw attention to the fact that your eating the same thing so they'll know, at least in the back of their heads, that good, common foods are vegetarian or vegan. This is especially helpful with me when I'm at school and eating the same thing as friends, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the cafeteria.
There's no chance in Hell! This is a girl who's never even considered vegetarianism as a lifestyle, and never will!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I've definitely been in some situations like this. But in that particular one my more immediate worry would be that people who "get a dog for the kids" are people who tend to dump the dog off at the shelter when the kids stop taking him/her out for walks and/or the dog tears up dad's favorite shoes. So my priority would be talking about how a dog is a big responsibility and they need to make sure they have time for a dog and it's not "for the kids" because the kids might fail and then what happens to the dog? I would tell them about how if you adopt from the city shelter you get a free basic obedience class from petsmart.

But yeah, I think it was important to remind the woman that "loving animals" in inconsistent with eating them.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad14 View Post

Just wondered had anyone else ever had an encounter like this?
With just about every single person met ....

Quote:
and what was the outcome.
Just about every single person I ever met soon learned to give me a wide berth ..

Quote:
Needless to say, the lady in question now gives me a wide berth!
Aaaah ...

And so it starts ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
disney jessica: "I don't like to do things like that that might put them on the defensive. I see people like that as possible converts"

Me too. I have the same thought as yours. To me, most people are possible converts. If not them (directly), then others (indirectly). I try not to appear pushy to people around me. But when people starts conversation about my choice of diet, I never give them serious answer. I will joke about it like "Here, have some grass!" or "I eat grass, leaves...", "I have fish today... vegetarian fish." I like people 'having fun' (not ridicule. I can detect disrespect and that's where the fun stops) with me about my diet. When people feel fun, comfortable with you, they'll keep coming to you to talk about the topic

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I honestly think we're the lucky ones. I like having a clear, uncompromisable conscious when it comes to my relationship with animals.
+1

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I just normally assume that everyone I meet who self-identifies as an "animal lover" is an omni until proven otherwise. For the vast majority of people, "animal lover" means "cats and dogs" and often just "MY cat or MY dog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I've definitely been in some situations like this. But in that particular one my more immediate worry would be that people who "get a dog for the kids" are people who tend to dump the dog off at the shelter when the kids stop taking him/her out for walks and/or the dog tears up dad's favorite shoes. So my priority would be talking about how a dog is a big responsibility and they need to make sure they have time for a dog and it's not "for the kids" because the kids might fail and then what happens to the dog? I would tell them about how if you adopt from the city shelter you get a free basic obedience class from petsmart.
Agreed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know a lot of people like this, and as said, they look at me in an odd way when I mention how hypocritical they are.

But then on the other side of things, I've actually talked to a couple people about this, and they've been like "Oh man! You're so right, I never really thought about it" and they're still vegetarians to this day.

I just get tired of all of the self-validating meat eaters who have to express how great meat is, and how being a vegetarian is so stupid. "What would happen to all the cows!". "I duno, where would you go?" :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.