VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I find it a bit difficult finding nice sandwich fillings. Before I was veg, I could have ham and mustard, smoked salmon and cream cheese, etc etc. The thing I miss is not so much the taste, but having something chunky in the sandwich - cheese and tomato just doesn't cut it for me! So if you have a sandwich idea of any sort, post it here so we can try some new ones! wraps too!

I have two...

Falafel, tomato, hummus, and spinach wrap (Vegan, I believe)

Spread the hummus over a wrap of your choice, fill with falafel, spinach leaves, and cherry tomato halves, roll up and enjoy!

Quorn lemon and pepper escalope sandwich with hummus, watercress, honey and mustard dressing and tomatoes (Vegetarian)

Put a quorn lemon and pepper escalope in the oven and grill until it is cooked the way you like. Let it cool down for a while or it will make your sandwich soggy! Meanwhile, Put hummus on one slice of your bread. Pop the escalope in the sandwich and add the cherry tomatoes (or regular ones), watercress, and drizzle with the dressing. Voila! YUM!

So go ahead, and post your sarnie ideas!

·
Registered
898 Posts
My favorite sandwich is a veggie sandwich.

Smash up avocado and use that as a 'spread'.

A few cut up cukes and tomatoe slices. Large piece of lettuce and alfafa sprouts.

Best on a grainy bread. Yum!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Babaghanoush (mashed grilled eggplant) and tomatoes.

Sunflower seed & horseradish spread and a jalapeno.

Tahini and tomatoes and bell peppers.

Hummus/pb/salsa/"mayonnaise" and whatever vegetable I can find in the fridge.

The "whatever" may involve seared tofu, falafel or veggie burger. Hummus with chunks of grilled peppers, zucchini and eggplant is very nice, but I usually use raw vegetables for convenience. It is, after all, a sandwich. If I had more time, I'd be making something more elaborate.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sautéed portobello mushrooms, onions and peppers with roasted garlic spread.

Veggie sub with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, marinated onions, smoked tofu and avocado spread (I might add mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes sometimes, or make it with garlicky "mayonnaise").

Leftover curries and stews.

Chickpea "tuna" salad.

Tahini-honey spread with a touch of cinnamon and apple slices.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Reminds me that I'd love to try bunny chow, which is basically bread stuffed with curry. What was I thinking, giving the book with the recipe away as a present...

·
Registered
927 Posts
One we did this weekend: broiled zucchini with a light dusting of garlic and chili powder, lettuce, tomato, grilled red onions, dijon mustard, and fresh sprouts!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

My favorite sandwich is a veggie sandwich.

Smash up avocado and use that as a 'spread'.

A few cut up cukes and tomatoe slices. Large piece of lettuce and alfafa sprouts.

Best on a grainy bread. Yum!
Sounds yummy!!

What are cukes though?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

Sounds yummy!!

What are cukes though?
Cucumbers. It's fairly common to hear them referred to as cukes in the states.

Some of my favorite sandwiches:

I like to make tempeh salad. Crumble cooked tempeh, mix in mayonnaise or mayo sub. of choice. I like to add curry powder, some chopped apple, celery and pecans. But just the tempeh, mayo, and curry is pretty good.

Hummus, bell pepper, spinach. I'm not to crazy about flavored hummus, but I do kind of like it on sandwiches.

Sauteed mushrooms and onions on a crusty bun. Great w/ swiss cheese if you're ovo-lacto.

Lettuce, tomato, baked tofu slices, mustard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I get sprout mix for the store, and i use the sprouts, lett, tom, onion, mustard, veggie cheese, and smart baloni or salami....MMM

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Sprouts - ALWAYS sprouts! Tomato, onion, avocado, cucumber, lettuce.

And if you need something "meaty" add some baked tofu, breaded seitan cutlets, tempeh "fake bakon", tofu "egg salad", fake "tuna salad" sandwiches, Tofurky sandwich slices, breaded eggplant slices, vegetarian "meatloaf" slices, veggie burger patties, veggie "chik'n" salad, even vegetarian "hot dogs"! (Recipes for all of the above are easily available here or elsewhere on the web with a simple Google search...)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
my easy sandwich that i eat often and people love, you probably made one like this too:

take some good whole wheat or whole grain bread, spread some of your fav hummus on each slice, cover one slice with sliced avocado, then cover the avocado with your fav sprouts, then put the other slice of bread on top and munch much

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
One sandwich that I've been eating lately is toasted sourdough bread, spread with tofutti's better than cream cheese, tomato, red onion, sprouts when I have them, and avocado. Simple but surprisingly yummy.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If you're looking for texture, definitely do the mashed chickpea bit. I mash up chickpeas with anything... usually a mixture of:

some mayo-type spread

chopped onion/pepper/spinach/broccoli

herbs and spices

I love jalepeno jelly

s&p

whatever else.....

This is very tasty, and very satisfying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for the ultimate stick to your ribs filling sandwich you need to speak to my sister - peanut butter, cheese and marmite (you can leave the marmite off) it sounds awful but its good and it fills you up properly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Whole grain bread.

Spread one side with mashed avocado

one side with better than cream cheese

fill it with tomato slices, cucumber slices, red onion rings, alfalfa sprouts and some spinach.

OH! and BLTS! You CAN buy fake bacon, but I prefer to make it. I can't find a recipe, but here is what I do.

Mix together some soy sauce and a few dashes of liquid smoke. Add a bit of nutritional yeast. It should look a little creamier from the n.y.. Add pepper or maple syrup, if desired. Fry up strips of tofu until golden- immediately pull out and dunk them into soy sauce mixture to cover entirely.

Mmmm..

My usual sandwich, however, is tofurky, vegenaise, and spinach. =P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.