VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is the time of year where it's getting chilly & my skin gets drier. I run into this problem every year. I am trying to find a good but not expensive, cruelty free dandruff shampoo. I am in a quandry since I normally get my products from Whole Foods or the Body Shop but I am really low on $$$. I don't want to buy the cheapo stuff from the drugstore either- where god only knows what animal was tortured for it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't know of any cheap brands that are vegan and not tested on animals, but I know some members here on VB have home remedies that may work. I hope they jump on and share the info!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
When the seasons change, all my skin gets dry, too. It's not dandruff, its just dry skin/scalp. I just add some drops of tea tree oil to my regular shampoo. It makes it go away.

Oh, and make sure your shampoo/conditioner aren't too drying. That just exacerbates it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah...my first post on this board and I finally feel like I can help! When I got my long hair cut very very short this past spring, I ended up with major dandruff problems (shock to the system I guess). I tried everything until I came upon the solution which worked and continues to work for me. First of all, I switched shampoos...Nature's Gate is vegan and gentle enough. I filled my shampoo bottle one quarter with white vinegar (apple cider vinegar works well too), the balance with the shampoo. But....before I shampooed my head, I also gave myself a treatment much the same way you would give yourself a hot oil treatment. Using one cup vinegar, literally soak your dry hair with it, wrap it in a towel for about 30-46 minutes then shampoo your hair as normal. I used the vinegar treatment approximately three times (every second day) before the flakies literally disappeared. And I've been using my vinegar/shampoo potion ever since without any signs of dandruff whatsoever. When you first use the vinegar treatment, you will probably feel a tingling, but not to worry, it won't harm you and the smell of the vinegar does disappear once you wash your hair. You should also follow up with a conditioner (again, I use Natures Gate conditioner) because vinegar does have a tencency to dry out the hair...but..for me it has worked like a dream.

Hope this helps...

cheers Molly W

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymw View Post

Ah...my first post on this board and I finally feel like I can help! When I got my long hair cut very very short this past spring, I ended up with major dandruff problems (shock to the system I guess). I tried everything until I came upon the solution which worked and continues to work for me. First of all, I switched shampoos...Nature's Gate is vegan and gentle enough. I filled my shampoo bottle one quarter with white vinegar (apple cider vinegar works well too), the balance with the shampoo. But....before I shampooed my head, I also gave myself a treatment much the same way you would give yourself a hot oil treatment. Using one cup vinegar, literally soak your dry hair with it, wrap it in a towel for about 30-46 minutes then shampoo your hair as normal. I used the vinegar treatment approximately three times (every second day) before the flakies literally disappeared. And I've been using my vinegar/shampoo potion ever since without any signs of dandruff whatsoever. When you first use the vinegar treatment, you will probably feel a tingling, but not to worry, it won't harm you and the smell of the vinegar does disappear once you wash your hair. You should also follow up with a conditioner (again, I use Natures Gate conditioner) because vinegar does have a tencency to dry out the hair...but..for me it has worked like a dream.

Hope this helps...

cheers Molly W
Vinegar really? I use it to clean the apt. but never thought to use on my hair. How does it work on your scalp, what is vinegar anyway-not to sound like a spaz, I rarely cook w/ it either.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvyidler View Post

Neem oil, added to your shampoo, or massaged onto your scalp (and rinsed off a few minutes later), should help.
What is neem oil?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My hubby Spiderman uses Original Source Tea tree and Mint shampoo. it smells great and is certified by the vegan society. It is cheap and available at the chemist. he has never had flakes since he started using it.

A vinegar rinse can help as well. I use a capful of vinegar in a pitcher of water to rinse after I shampoo.

Also try massaging almond oil into your scalp at night then wash the next day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkace View Post

what is vinegar anyway-not to sound like a spaz, I rarely cook w/ it either.
Not that this really helps any, but vinegar is diluted acetic acid. It's traditionally created by allowing wine or apple cider to "go bad".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.