VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what vegan products are out there? Recently I've switched to cruelty-free, and it's hard enough to find those. I've tried Kiss My Face S&C and I really like that, but it's like 3 times the price of normal products. My hair is almost waist length, so I need something that's really going to work to detangle it. I've also tried the Giovanni line, and I wasnt too thrilled with it.

what do the rest of you use? Is there anything I can find in a normal grocery store?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Do you have Trader Joe's in your area? I use their shampoo and conditioner (and moisturizer), and it's all inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wow, can't believe you didn't like Giovanni! That stuff whips my hair right into shape, and unlike with other products, my hair doesn't become "immune" to it so that I have to keep switching brands. Actually, what I regularly use is a Trader Joe knock-off of Giovanni shampoo called Nourish Spa... same exact ingredients, works just as well, even smells the same, but it's less than half the price (runs about $3 a bottle). That was what I was going to recommend until I saw that you were not impressed with Giovanni

Err, yeah.. when it comes to shampoo and other body products I am quite the snob and usually will splurge on the $10 organic stuff rather than grabbing something at the regular grocery or pharmacy (usually don't shop there anyways...)... so I guess I don't have any advice past that, but good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I like Giovanni too, so that won't help much...

I often buy Scruples products (no animal ingredients/no testing) from my hairdresser. They are a little more expensive, but with professional products I find that you don't need as much and a little goes a long way. They are often on sale too; the last time I bought it I got a litre each of shampoo and conditioner for $22 CDN.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

Wow, can't believe you didn't like Giovanni! That stuff whips my hair right into shape, and unlike with other products, my hair doesn't become "immune" to it so that I have to keep switching brands. Actually, what I regularly use is a Trader Joe knock-off of Giovanni shampoo called Nourish Spa... same exact ingredients, works just as well, even smells the same, but it's less than half the price (runs about $3 a bottle). That was what I was going to recommend until I saw that you were not impressed with Giovanni

Err, yeah.. when it comes to shampoo and other body products I am quite the snob and usually will splurge on the $10 organic stuff rather than grabbing something at the regular grocery or pharmacy (usually don't shop there anyways...)... so I guess I don't have any advice past that, but good luck in your search.
OO, thanks for posting that Katt Fink! I use Giovanni too but I have a Trader Joes gift certificate to use up so maybe I'll try those Nourish Spa's now.

I have used Kiss My Face in the Past which I like and I have used Aubrey's (not all there products are Vegan though - those that are are marked - there is a lot of vegan ones to choose from). All of those range around the same prices. I think Kiss My Face was cheaper. You might wanted to check on Whole Foods brand Shampoos and Conditioners (if you are near a Whole Foods).

There are also brands like Nature's Gate which I think are cruelty free and vegan (double check) and I remember them being pretty cheap. Jason is another option.

I am picky about certain chemicals not being in my shampoo so that is why I like Giovanni and will pay the higher price. I'm a hair snob.

As far as getting stuff in a 'normal' grocery, you might be able to find non animal tested stuff but I don't know if it will be vegan. I don't go to normal grocery stores anymore. I do remember Aussie products though - but don't remember them being too cheap. Best thing to do is to do just do some research on the ones you see in the store that are vegan and you think you might like to try.

Also, you can get stuff cheaper at beauty supply stores.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh also! If you are near a big co-op I have seen some of them offer bulk shampoos and conditioners. You come in and fill up your bottle from their big one. I saw this at Rainbo in San Fran. I thought 'Dang! That's a cool idea!' Cheaper too!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

As far as getting stuff in a 'normal' grocery, you might be able to find non animal tested stuff but I don't know if it will be vegan. I don't go to normal grocery stores anymore. I do remember Aussie products though - but don't remember them being too cheap. Best thing to do is to do just do some research on the ones you see in the store that are vegan and you think you might like to try.
Aussie was bought out by P&G or one of those companies. They no longer are non-animal tested, they also took the "animal-friendly" or whatever they used to have on the bottles, off.

·
Registered
0 Posts
PUREology is vegan. According to the PETA website anyways. Some MOP (modern organic products) are vegan also. ABBA is vegan.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Pureology is pretty expensive, though. It's $24 for 8 oz of conditioner and $24 for 10 oz of shampoo (I hate when they do different sizes like that, at least make the conditioner the bigger one, if not the same size.
) My stylist washes my hair with it sometimes. It stinks like lavender. Blah.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I love Lush shampoo bars. I've washed my hair three or four times with the one I got for Christmas and it doesn't seem to have gotten any smaller. A large amount of Lush's stuff is vegan. It's a little expensive, but not vastly.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Joico. Kind of expensive but doesn't test on animals and is a really, really good product. I get compliments on my hair all the time when I use their products. For Aussies Vita 5's "hair booster" is an excellent product, too. It's a leave-in conditioner. Haven't used their ordinary shampoo and conditioner yet but I've been a Hair Booster devotee for many years now. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Aussie was bought out by P&G or one of those companies. They no longer are non-animal tested, they also took the "animal-friendly" or whatever they used to have on the bottles, off.
That's a shame. I remember using their products some years back and found them to be quite good, and not too badly priced.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Joico. Kind of expensive but doesn't test on animals and is a really, really good product. I get compliments on my hair all the time when I use their products. For Aussies Vita 5's "hair booster" is an excellent product, too. It's a leave-in conditioner. Haven't used their ordinary shampoo and conditioner yet but I've been a Hair Booster devotee for many years now. Highly recommended.
thats odd... i really really like joico as well, but i'm pretty sure it contains Urea?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
The urea in hair products is synthetic as far as I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used Pureology for years now..its great stuff..not cheap by any means, but great! I may have to give Jason a try as I like the other Jason products!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for really oily hair? I have tried a lot of the natural products, and they tend to build up in my hair, and not clean it as well. Right now I'm using an Aveda shampoo, and I like it, but I don't know how "natural" or vegan it is.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts