VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a break tonight from the Xbox, and listening to a beautiful radio version of Henry IV part 1 - wondered if anyone else here is a fan of the great writer?

I have times when I don't read much of his, but always am drawn back to it from time to time. Never read another writer yet who comes close

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I'm a fan of his comedies, and sonnets.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I honestly need to see/read more of the plays. I think I'll appreciate them a lot more now than when I read them in high school. I haven't picked one up since then.

·
Registered
632 Posts
*raises hand*
he's a master wordwordian!
and his range from one end of the pendulum to the other...from tragic to comic...from Romeo & Juliet to Much Ado About Nothing...is freaking awesome.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Never heard of him.

My favourite is Othello. Love the Kenneth Branagh version. I saw Henry VIII at the Globe in London last summer and it was amazing, even though it's not my favourite play. I think Hamlet is a total waste of time, though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I think Hamlet is possibly his greatest work, but not necessarily one I'd want to read most often - a bit like a great Pink Floyd album - a masterpiece, but was a much more important part of my life as a lonely teenager suffering depression and existentialist angst and looking for meaning in life, than it is now

The most enjoyable for re-reading for me, are probabably Henry IV pt 1 and 2 (sometimes I like reading Richard II, Henry IV 1+2 and then Henvy V in sequence

I have collected MP3s of lots of audio play versions of Shakespeare (I usually prefer an audioplay version to a movie version) - have found some wonderful performances over the years in audioplays - Richard Burton as Coriolanus made the play seem far better than it ever did reading from a book.

The only 2 movies I ever really enjoyed, were the Ian McKellan Richard III and the old Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando and James Mason.

Saw an interesting art-house movie version of Hamlet once by Celestino Corianado (sp?) - which had 2 twin brothers playing Hamlet, spending a lot of time naked - maybe symbolic of his divided self? Was actually better than I expected.

I came to the comedies later - having discovered Shakespeare when I was a teenager and intially drawn to Hamlet, King Lear etc - Much Ado About Nothing is wonderful - i like the Kenneth Brannagh film version, even though they (naturally) had to cut a lot out to keep the running time down and keep it as accessible as possible - not sure about casting Keanu Reeves or Denzil Washington - but still great fun to watch

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
My favourite is A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's hilarious!! It was my introduction to him and remains my favourite to this day.

To state the obvious, we owe so much of our language and literature to him, it seems a shame not to at least try to appreciate his works. (I'm a bookworm.)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I love Shakespeare and I got to take a whole Shakespeare class a year ago. Romeo and Juliet is my favorite, but A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night are close by. However, Puck is my all time favorite Shakespeare character. I started reading Shakespeare in elementary school and everybody thought I was a pretty odd kid.
It came in pretty useful in high school when we had to started writing papers about Shakespeare.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hamlet is my favorite
I used to love Kenneth Branagh's version until I discovered the one with David Tennant.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myria View Post

Hamlet is my favorite
I used to love Kenneth Branagh's version until I discovered the one with David Tennant.
This is my curtain call as Horatio, in Hamlet. I designed the set as well. (disclaimer: I've lost 80 pounds since that photo was taken...)

Attachment 15864
LL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Count me among the fans of the Bard. High school did nothing to help me develop an appreciation for him: R&J, Julius Caesar, Macbeth were all handled as obligatory studies that rendered them flat and lifeless. Fortunately for me, I had an English professor who was passionate about Shakespeare, and he focused exclusively on him in our drama course. That course opened a whole new world to me. I cannot pick out a favorite, but Othello, Hamlet, and Henry V would be near the top of any list I would come up with.

My favorite Shakespeare experience was seeing Antony & Cleopatra on the stage in Stratford-upon-Avon. Patrick Stewart played Marc Antony. The theater was incredibly small; our seats were almost on the stage, and we actually had to walk across it to get to the exit.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Never read more than Romeo and Juliet. I'm sure he's great, but damn, that was so depressing. The school projects we had to do on it kind of ruined it though.

I hate that, when you actually enjoy a book or story you read in school, and then they drag it out for like a month... seriously, it was a good book, now shut up about it already!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts