VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From our friends at SHAC UK:<br><br><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">SHAC's new report on HLS: 'Nothing has Changed'<br><br><br><br>
A new report released by Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (SHAC) in the U.K.<br><br>
has exposed continued abuse of both animals and workers at the notorious<br><br>
testing facility Huntingdon Life Sciences(HLS). The report documents<br><br>
eye-witness accounts by two workers who spent 12 months working inside the<br><br>
labs at HLS and includes video stills from footage shot by a television crew<br><br>
in 2005 for a programme called "Animals."<br><br><br><br>
HLS first came into the media spotlight in 1989 when undercover video footage<br><br>
shot by Sarah Kite of the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection<br><br>
(BUAV). She worked there for 6 months to expose the animal abuse inside HLS<br><br>
for the first time.<br><br><br><br>
In 1997, Zoe Broughton worked undercover inside HLS in the UK for 9 weeks.<br><br>
She filmed, with a hidden camera, workers punching, shaking and terrifying 4<br><br>
month old beagle pups. The resulting footage screened on national TV saw the<br><br>
suspension of Huntingdons licence. Also in 1997 and in an entirely separate<br><br>
investigation, Michelle Rokke worked inside Huntingdons US lab in New<br><br>
Jersey. She filmed monkeys being cut open whilst they were still conscious,<br><br>
something exposed again in the 2005 report.<br><br><br><br>
According to the new report, nothing has changed and the exact same abuse<br><br>
that made HLS a major target of animal rights campaigns all over the world<br><br>
continues to take place daily today, despite the assurances and formal<br><br>
statements made by HLS executives, including HLS's MD Brian Cass, and<br><br>
business partners that conditions have improved at the testing facility and<br><br>
the animals are well-treated.<br><br><br><br>
In the report, one ex-worker, who worked in the dog units, states, "Some dogs<br><br>
were not happy to be bled and they would struggle and not sit still. The<br><br>
licence holder would pull them around by the scruff, shout at them, and<br><br>
sometimes even used to pick the dog up off the chair by its scruff and have<br><br>
it dangling whilst they shouted at it. It could be a very disturbing time."<br><br><br><br>
"I saw co-workers grab them by the scruff, shout and swear at them, swing<br><br>
them by the scruff and slap them. I was told I wastoo close to my dogs<br><br>
because when I carried them to and from procedures I would hold them tight to<br><br>
me and cuddle and kiss them."<br><br><br><br>
Workers also reported abuse of employees that included favouritism, overly<br><br>
long work days, denial of breaks and lunches, and being made to falsify<br><br>
information regarding documentation of work times.<br><br><br><br>
SHAC U.K. state on their website: "Since 1997 we have constantly heard from<br><br>
Huntingdon's customers, suppliers and the Government that the beagle beating<br><br>
scenes shot inside HLS by Channel 4 were isolated incidents. Brian Cass the<br><br>
MD of HLS has said many times in the media that things have changed at HLS<br><br>
and what was filmed in 1997 no longer happens. We can now for the first time<br><br>
prove this to be a lie. We can prove that nothing has changed inside<br><br>
Huntingdon Life Sciences."<br><br><br><br>
To download the full report or view the video footage, visit<br><br><a href="http://www.shac.net/MISC/Inside_HLS.html" target="_blank">http://www.shac.net/MISC/Inside_HLS.html</a></div>
</div>
<br>

·
Registered
194 Posts
What bothers me is not just the animal abuse, but the employee abuse. Employee abuse adds to frustration, which can be taken out on the animals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts