2,744 Posts
Go vegan!!!

Woohoo!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Some of the health claims were pretty far out, but otherwise a good presentation
Won't even cut a seven year old a break.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Very cute. I can't help but wonder how much involvement her parents had in this though, I kind of picture them rehearsing her lines with her before turning the camera on

·
Registered
468 Posts
"If you're a little deer, minding your own business on a hill, and someone comes up to you with a spear, then you wouldn't not like that, try and think of how the deer would feel and imagine that you're that deer."

too cute, almost makes me want a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Very cute. I can't help but wonder how much involvement her parents had in this though, I kind of picture them rehearsing her lines with her before turning the camera on
looked like she was reading the back of the pages, not sure if they wrote her lines or what

·
Registered
596 Posts
When my son was seven, there's no way i would have coached him on veganism to that extent. Kids should know where their food comes from, but burdening a very young mind with too much detail about slaughter and the sad processes involved with tearing away calves from the mother's and all of that crap is wrong.

it's setting them up for depression in their teenage years i believe.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

When my son was seven, there's no way i would have coached him on veganism to that extent. Kids should know where their food comes from, but burdening a very young mind with too much detail about slaughter and the sad processes involved with tearing away calves from the mother's and all of that crap is wrong.

it's setting them up for depression in their teenage years i believe.
Not really. But depression will set them up for depression in their teen years. Kids aren't as fragile as people think they are.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I found it really uncomfortable to watch actually. This isn't her perspective but clearly her parents' :/
Yup, it feels like a performance. She's reciting everything she learned. It's a cute video but I felt a little uncomfortable too. Especially with the ranty description written by one of the parents pushing the vegan message even harder, it feels like they're using their kid to be shamelessly manipulative.

Now as far as beliefs you can push on your kids go respect for animals is definitely better than Scientology or something even more frightening (has anyone ever seen God Hates the World by the Westboro Baptist Church? There's an example of terrifying brainwashing.) but kids have a tendency to rebel when they get older if they feel they're being forced into things, I just hope that isn't the case here.

Who knows, maybe the little girl is actually really into it. I know I cared about animals a lot as a kid so I would have thought it all made sense. But I wish this video was something she decided to do on her own because she wanted to, rather than something her parents used her cute face for to push a message.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I found it really uncomfortable to watch actually. This isn't her perspective but clearly her parents' :/
Ditto. I gave up in the end, but was too chicken to post here.
I don't think it's necessarily a terrible thing, but it reminds me very much of the uber-Christians who coach their children on the right words/phrases to say. She's 7 and can understand death/suffering of animals, but it seemed pretty puppet-like to me.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dunno i thought it felt forced but her eyes are looking everywhere so shes not watching for cues and if someone behind the camera was whispering lines to her you'd be able to hear it. And I doubt shes reading, shes seven, shes not going to be able to read words like that.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
OMFSM that is so cute! I loved the way she explained the hunting deer part.

My cousins act just like her. I kept picturing them from the way she poised herself and spoke very clearly and matter-of-fact.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
"If you're a real animal lover, don't pollute the ocean please. And please, the fish do feel pain. The ones who don't believe that fish have pain, well, they do." Heehee, I think the kid needs to work on making persuasive arguments.

I found this cute. Those of you who think her parents made her rehearse this, have you ever spent time around a 7 year old? My oldest nephew is seven, and he comes up with this kind of stuff on his own all the time, teaching us about math or other things he learns in school. The way she's talking and explaining things reminds me of him.

It's clear her parents (or other adults in her life) have taught her about veganism and AR, true. But I don't see anything bad in this... Teaching children about religion is a different matter, if we're talking about teaching them religious doctrine as though it's fact (I'd have no problem teaching children about the different religions and what people believe without pushing those beliefs on them). That's more akin to brainwashing. With what's going on in this video, the child has simply been taught facts about the world: that animals are exploited, that animals don't want to be exploited, etc.

As for when kids should be taught what, I think that's a judgment call parents have to make, and it's going to be different with each kid. Some kids can handle things earlier than other kids.

"If there's something on sale that says $2.99, and you buy it, then you're still eating junk and dead animals." Haha, she's awesome.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.