VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else here on the board uses their extra computing cycles to contribute to science? I've been a member of SETI at Home since 1999 and currently also share my computer time with Einstein. I find them both to be worthy endeavors.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm totally in love with the concept and still think that maybe, just maybe, my computer will be the one to discover life on another planet. Even if I don't, it's just such a cool endeavor that I want to be a part of it. Congrats to you and everyone else who is willing to explore the outer reaches from their home computer.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have been a member of GIMPS during a while, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search,

prime numbers are very intersting mathematically and for cryptography, two points of interest for me.

I've run some BOINC stuff a while ago including [email protected], but my computer was too slow at that time and was heating easelly ( didn't knew how to configure or change code at that time )

I have nevertheless stopped because i consider that for financial reasons it's not worth the electricity bill or the quicker death of my computer and that i prefer to give my money to a homeless or to sea shepherd than to the electricity company wich won't even use it in solar or wind or whatever improvment.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
SETI is probably one of the biggest wastes of time and resources I've ever heard of in my entire life. The odds of us actually ever contacting or receiving a signal from an extra galactic civilization are just extremely low.

I'm more interested in things with immediate practical applications, like [email protected] Unlike the concept of extraterrestrial life, which is likely but unsubstantiated, we actually know cancer exists and that we can learn more about it by studying how proteins fold. I guess if you guys wanna bank on the less than one in one trillionth to the tenth power chance humanity will ever in its existence receive any kind of signal that's almost certainly extra terrestrial, you can knock yourselves out. Not my cup of tea, frankly.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have big doubts about the cancer andd medical stuff, expecting it to be used by some big pharma companies to make money when a switch to a vegan diet is to this day the most effective solution ( some cancers and diabtetes don't even exist in places where people don't eat meat, and when they begin to eat it, like in india or japan, you can see and even predict the appearance and raise of this stuff... )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts