VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I was about 10 or 11 when Sesame Street premiered, so I've never really watched it. I also never had kids to watch it with, so I don't really have that deep sentimental attachment to SS that younger generations have, although I know it's helped lots of kids learn their ABC's and to count, and important stuff like being polite to people and so forth.

I did watch The Muppet Show, and it was so entertaining it was one of my favorite TV shows when it aired. It's now available on DVD.
One of my favorite episodes had ballet star Rudolf Nureyev guest hosting, in which he performs "Swine Lake" with Miss Piggy.

There are also Sesame Street and Muppet movies, as well as other stuff made by the Henson workshop, such as The Dark Crystal.

This thread is for those of you who want to talk about Sesame Street and The Muppets.

BTW, Sesame Street is shown all over the world. In Israel, it's called Shalom Sesame, Shalom means "peace" in Hebrew.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I think I liked SS more than my kids did, back in the day. It think it was a really good show for kids.
And for whatever reason, Josh isn't into it now, either. He is hooked on Yo Gabba Gabba and Peppa Pig.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

First of all, I was about 10 or 11 when Sesame Street premiered, so I've never really watched it. I also never had kids to watch it with, so I don't really have that deep sentimental attachment to SS that younger generations have, although I know it's helped lots of kids learn their ABC's and to count, and important stuff like being polite to people and so forth.
I was flipping through the channels the other day and came across SS. Did you know that at least a few of the Muppet segments are now completely digital. What's the point of that? Muppets/Puppets are supposed to be tangible three dimensional things, not a computer generated image.

Sacrilege!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I was flipping through the channels the other day and came across SS. Did you know that at least a few of the Muppet segments are now completely digital. What's the point of that? Muppets/Puppets are supposed to be tangible three dimensional things, not a computer generated image.

Sacrilege!
What?? That's horrible and not right at all!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sesame Street is the only kids show that my daughter is allowed to watch - because it's the only one I can stand
I didn't watch it a lot when I was a kid because we didn't have TV, but I loved Muppet Treasure Island.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I loved SS as a kid... It was also one of those few shows my parents could stand too... Heck my mom can still sing all the words to the Ladybug Picnic song and I'll be 29 next month!

As for the Muppets, they're great too! One of my favorite Christmas movies is A Muppet Family Christmas! It includes SS and the Fraggles!!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Oh...at work we sing the Ladybug Song all of the time! Baby G calls it "the song you liked when you were a little girl"

Sesame Street is a part of me (and one of my sisters too) more than any other bit of media to which we've been exposed. My mom swears that Sesame Street and The Letter People taught me how to read (at age 3). Now, some 35 years after my prime viewing days, I still find myself thinking about the pinball song or "a loaf of bread, a container of milk, a stick of butter" (all vegan, of course
) Additionally, when my sister was small, we lived in a very white area, and for her, I think the show served as one of her first exposures to people of other races.

I was sad when we moved here and I discovered that there was no "Sesame Street". They didn't mention it in the article, but part of the lack of interest during some points in time was that the show was deemed "too American" and that it was important to create British shows to impart British culture to children, yada yada. Now, while I think this is largely a load of hooey, it has led to the creation of some good children's TV in the UK. With the increasing popularity of satellite television in the UK, I think the anti-US thing has faded to a large degree.

Just less than a week ago, I was looking for Superstition on YouTube, and several of the results were from Stevie appearing on Sesame Street. It's amazing how many big stars have appeared there.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have a Snuffleupagus plushie

I loved sesame street as a kid, I should watch it again sometime.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I'm pretty sure I have a Snuffleupagus plushie

I loved sesame street as a kid, I should watch it again sometime.
OMG I'm jealous of the plushie! I loved Snuffleupagus! I was way more into SS than I was the muppets. Miss Piggy and Kermit all seemed boring compared to SS. I also thought Miss Piggy was super obnoxious.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Muppets FTW! I can't believe no one has mentioned Labyrinth yet! That's one of my favorite movies of all time.

And Muppet Treasure Island.....and the Muppets Take Manhattan.....AND The Muppet Christmas Carol....

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I grew up on SS and the Muppets - child of the 70's. Also, does anyone here remember the 80's "Muppet Babies" cartoon? That was surprisingly good.

I was at Disney World in Orlando last year, and in Hollywood Studios, they have a 3D Muppets show. Unfortunately, it really sucked. They inserted a cartoon character into the live action show for no obvious reason, and it's just annoying.

I kinda liked The Dark Crystal, but I always thought the ending was kinda lame, even as a kid. I watched it on DVD a couple of years ago, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Labyrinth was very cool.

And if we're going to bring every random Henson production into the conversation, I'll just mention that Farscape was an awesome TV show, but definitely not appropriate for the kiddies.

--Fromper

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Muppet Babies was a quality 'toon as well!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Oh no no no. That was a travesty!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts