VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

OK, now then, I was at church tonight, and I really liked the message my pastor was giving, but then what does he say? "Having a same sex partner is a sin from the pit of Hell" What the heck is wrong with him? I know for a fact that there are gay/bisexual teens there, and that isn't helping them considering the fact that they probably already feel like they don't belong. My friend, who is also for gay rights, wasn't very happy, either. I honestly couldn't take him seriously after that. Really, what was he thinking?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

UUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

OK, now then, I was at church tonight, and I really liked the message my pastor was giving, but then what does he say? "Having a same sex partner is a sin from the pit of Hell" What the heck is wrong with him? I know for a fact that there are gay/bisexual teens there, and that isn't helping them considering the fact that they probably already feel like they don't belong. My friend, who is also for gay rights, wasn't very happy, either. I honestly couldn't take him seriously after that. Really, what was he thinking?
Sounds like it's time to find a better church.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

If you do change churches, make sure they know why. They need to know this kind of behaviour drives people away.
I strongly agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

UUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

OK, now then, I was at church tonight, and I really liked the message my pastor was giving, but then what does he say? "Having a same sex partner is a sin from the pit of Hell" What the heck is wrong with him? I know for a fact that there are gay/bisexual teens there, and that isn't helping them considering the fact that they probably already feel like they don't belong. My friend, who is also for gay rights, wasn't very happy, either. I honestly couldn't take him seriously after that. Really, what was he thinking?
This is a rare thing??? I'm surprised people are surprised by this. Every church I ever had to suffer attending preached this. They still do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

This is a rare thing??? I'm surprised people are surprised by this. Every church I ever had to suffer attending preached this. They still do.
Not at all surprised, still disgusted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,337 Posts
My sister, who I am staying with, is very catholic and used to attend a Church that had a special service for gay people. She loved it. She has no time to go anymore I guess. I just do not understand how most of religions hate homosexuality (especially catholic) yet so goes is Catholic and gay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Does he know that in the bible it says not to judge others?
But yeah, find a better church.
Believe me I would change churches, but my mom loves this church. She's actually close friends with the other pastors and sometimes works there. Most kids somehow get away with not paying attention, so I'll probably doodle in my notebook or something. :p I talk to my friends after service, too, I hardly get to see them outside of church. (though I'm working on that) It's sad, I was really considering volunteering for them, but I couldn't possibly serve a church like that gives that kind of message. I'm so disappointed. As far as I'm aware, none of the pastors have ever said anything like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
If I remember that one Queer As Folk episode right, doesn't the Bible say that you shall not eat shellfish? Or something like that? Pretty close to the "no gays" bit. Perhaps ask your pastor what his stance on shellfish is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Pretty typical, though sad.I don't recall ever hearing anything different, and I've been going to church all my life.
I don't understand how people can be comfortable going on supporting and being a part of a community that preaches that kind of bigotry and hatred.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

If I remember that one Queer As Folk episode right, doesn't the Bible say that you shall not eat shellfish? Or something like that? Pretty close to the "no gays" bit. Perhaps ask your pastor what his stance on shellfish is.
Well, technically I'm against eating shellfish, too. :p But the bible says not to wear two different fabrics at the same time, so that's a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Believe me I would change churches, but my mom loves this church. She's actually close friends with the other pastors and sometimes works there. Most kids somehow get away with not paying attention, so I'll probably doodle in my notebook or something. :p I talk to my friends after service, too, I hardly get to see them outside of church. (though I'm working on that) It's sad, I was really considering volunteering for them, but I couldn't possibly serve a church like that gives that kind of message. I'm so disappointed. As far as I'm aware, none of the pastors have ever said anything like that.
Have you talked to your mom about this? You should sit her down and tell her why going to this church makes you uncomfortable now. Tell her you'd be happy to go to a church where they don't preach hatred of gays. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

This is a rare thing??? I'm surprised people are surprised by this. Every church I ever had to suffer attending preached this. They still do.
A good majority of them preach this line of BS, but not all. At least not in my part of the country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
That's when you find another church. Or fail to see the light and revert to Atheism .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
I'm not surprised either, that's why I left the Christian church.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,744 Posts
Next time he does it, shout him down! "That's not very Christian of you, preacher! Homosexualsare made in God's image too!"

I've done this before. A very effective anti-homophobe technique.

Or get some church members together and do a Bible study on homosexuality, or watch "For the Bible Tells me So." Don't be passive. Push back.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

UUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

OK, now then, I was at church tonight, and I really liked the message my pastor was giving, but then what does he say? "Having a same sex partner is a sin from the pit of Hell" What the heck is wrong with him? I know for a fact that there are gay/bisexual teens there, and that isn't helping them considering the fact that they probably already feel like they don't belong. My friend, who is also for gay rights, wasn't very happy, either. I honestly couldn't take him seriously after that. Really, what was he thinking?
Let's say having a same sex partner is a sin from the pit of Hell. You pastor never said to hate such people did he? I am surprised everyone here assumed your pastor said to hate gays. If the only thing he said was what you just mentioned what is the problem? This is the stance of the Bible, what is he supposed to say? I am not saying the Bible is right or wrong but he is a pastor and he is getting paid to do this. The worst of sinners should be treated with the most of compassion because they need the most help.
 
1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top