VeggieBoards banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Congratulations on the awesome decision you've made- and on all the research you're putting into it!

One thing that I didn't see mentioned yet is the book Vive le Vegan, which has a big section about feeding children of different age groups (from babies on up). Feeding Vegetarian Children is also a good one.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Jan:

I just want to point out that becoming a vegetarian or a vegan is not only about the food you put in your mouth. Making a decision like this changes your whole outlook on life.

You probably know the poem by Robert Frost called "The Road Not Taken", but it never does anyone any harm to read it again, so I'll post it here:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood

and sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveller, long I stood

and looked down one as far as I could

to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

and having perhaps the better claim

because it was grassy and wanted wear;

though as for that, the passing there

had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

in leaves no feet had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --

I took the one less travelled by,

and that has made all the difference

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
thank you all so much for the advice!! if i didn't have a MASSIVE deadline righ tnow, i would be ALL OVER these things. hopefully i can get to them this weekend.

and diana..yes, i know exactly what you're talking about. the smaller changes in our life are what led us to this point. it was a slow and steady process over the last 3 years...it had a lot to do with being away from america...but also with being away from anything fmiliar or comfortable or easy. we pretty much just started over and pared down our lives and the way we do things and how much waste we create.

it's kinda easy ehre, though, since the germans are VERY eco conscious and active about it. we recycle everything that we can....we re-use everything that we can and our eating habits have pulled a 180 since we left the states. it also helps that we have a farmer's market that is a 5 minute walk from our house..

so, yes, i understand that this is a lifestyle change. i have been going through my house evaluating everything we have that now seems controversial to me. and it breaks my heart when i see how much further we still have to go in this change....but now i have a focus and a goal...a real 'name' if you will to call my goal by....so, yeah, um...sorry i rambled! LOL! i really just dont have anyone to talk to about this stuff, so it feels nice to be surrounded by support and encouragement. thank you.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
http://www.happycow.net/europe/germany/index.html here is a list of vegetarian resturants in germany not sure where you are it also lists some health food stores which may or may not carry vegetarian foods. If you can find an asian grocery in your town they usually have things like tofu,soy milk things like that also check out www.ivu.com the internationl vegetarian union site somebody there might be of more help than I am
. Also www.vegfamily.com is a good site about feeding vegetarian kids and www.veganfamily.com is a site by a vegan family in scotland that talks about raising vegan kids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jancrowley View Post

omg, diana... see, THIS is why i have been feeling so conflicted and guilty lately...it seems like every 'truth' or thought i have had or known is being completely shattered...little by little i am realizing just how serious i am going to have to take this. i feel like i am seeing the world with a new pair of eyes and i am thoroughly disgusted with what i see...and every new perspective or insight brings out more questions in me...

like my children for example...i want them to be healthy, but they are not old enough to understand this move i want to make or even why....how do i explain to them without making them biased....i mean, they LOVE meat...so how can i tell them now that it's 'bad'? i don't even want to tell them it's bad...i want them to choose for themselves, but they don't have the capacity to do that yet...they're 5, 4, and 7 months...sigh...

and when we were shopping the other day...i was searching for veggie baby food...i found 2. EVERYTHING past the 8 month stage had meat...bio this...bio that...i was SO frustrated...i just feel so lost as to how to feed her...am i going to have to make it all myself?
Making your own baby food is really easy. Just blend up whatever you are eating. I've done this with my last 2 babies.

Kendra

21 - 26 of 26 Posts