VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few years we've been more or less flexitarians. We tend to go meatless 1 to 3 nights a week so having a fully vegetarian meal is not unusual at all. However I'm really thinking of going fully vegetarian, at least until Thanksgiving just to see how I feel.
I'm most doing this because of health reasons. My cholesterol last time it was checked was awesome, my bp is up and down depending on the day but I am overweight, always sick, and I'm really becoming desperate for change. I'm a 37 year old Mom to a little boy who actually oddly enough loves fruits and veggies and itsn't so happy about meat. My husband I know will stand behind me if I start so family wise it'll be pretty easy for me to adopt this lifestyle. I guess I'm just looking for tips. I really want to keep incorporating eggs and dairy somewhat in my diet though. I make my own yogurt and kefir so I hate to give those up!
Any suggestions? Advice?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Holy cow, I typed a big response, hit back space by accident and blammo, it's gone. Frikken heck..

Anyway, my wonderfully written response was basically, when you know where the meat your eating came from, it becomes a turn off. When you know that a number of studies have shown that animal protein is the number one cause of cancer it doesn't taste all that good. When you discover that eating vegetarian (or Vegan) has no down side, it begins to really get good. Once you see how you feel after a few months of well balanced vegetarian eating you will never look back. I wish I had done this years ago. I am into my fifth month as a vegetarian. I am pretty much Vegan now. I say pretty much because I can't remember if I have eaten some cheese or not. If I did it was because someone else put it on my food. I was a big yogurt eater. Once I found out that dairy and calcium (both in yogurt) were the leading cause of prostate cancer I stopped eating it. I like my prostate. It does awesome stuff. I would like to keep it, thank you very much.

My advice to you would be, don't eat too many salads. I don't like salad. It's OK, but for somebody else, not me. I like stir fry. I don't even care what kind. There are so many wonderful spices out there. I throw in some onions, green and red peppers, mushrooms, a little cabbage, maybe some baby carrots, broccoli, and a little peanut oil, a splash or two of soy sauce, and damn.. My wife says "I want some". She loves it (except the baby corn). I also like Thai yellow curry with rice noodles and veggies, maybe mix in some tofu. And, Mexican for me is vegetarian fajitas with plenty of refried beans and tortillas. I like the Indian food too.. Man I love spices. Bland food isn't worth eating to me. So, I make eating vegan an experience. It has become a license for me to eat exotic. To experiment. And, I can eat guilt free. When my meal is done I know that it had very little environmental impact. And, over time, all my stuff works better.

Monday a week ago I walked 20+ miles. That's right, 20+ miles. So far today I have walked 7. This is probably the least that I will walk all week. When I get home I have plenty of energy. My wife wishes that I would leave her alone. Before, after a long day, which included a meat heavy lunch, I would get home and just be worn completely out. Now, I work a lot harder than I did then and I feel a whole bunch better. Seriously, I wish I had discovered this when I was 18 (30 years ago).

Some military buddies of mine and I have this sort of half serious half joke agreement. If 2012 turns out to be a real bad time we have a meet place up in the hills. It's a 40 mile walk from my house. Should the poop hit the fan then, I know I can walk it. No big deal. I'll be there in an easy two days. Probably less. I'm not sure that last year this time I could have said that with such confidence. I promise you I can walk that 40 miles, with a pack, in less than two days. Why, Vegan eating combined with walking several miles a day. When I was living off of what most everyone eats in this country I would not make it. And if I did I wouldn't be able to do much else.

So, the evidence in my life is that vegetarian eating has no down side. Yea, it cost a shade more the way I do it. My wife and I eat out a lot. Cheap-assed hamburgers are killing the people who eat them along with the planet. What is there about that that is a good thing? What we have been taught about how to eat is a lie. Plant proteins give all the protein we need (and more) without any of the negatives of animal protein, namely cancer. You can over eat when your Vegan but, it's damn hard to do. I eat like a horse. I love to eat. I am losing weight and it feels awesome. So, don't offer me any meat. I'm not tempted by that anymore. The smell of a fast food joint used to get my attention. Anymore it just smells sad. literally, I feel sad when I smell it. It smells like suffering animals and fat people ruining their lives. (May smell a bit like I'm crazy but, that's what I think of when I smell a fast food joint.)

I still have some canned chicken in my pantry. Every time I look in there I wish I had never bought it. I bought it months ago. It like, four small cans of regret that I don't know what to do with. If I throw it away is it disrespecting the animal that gave it's life? If I give it away is it perpetuating someone else's meat habit? If it just stays in there it will eventually go bad. I can't eat it. At this point, it's been so long since I've eaten meat that it might make me sick. I know I don't want to eat it.. You see what happens? Once you really get into this thing you have to go all out. There really is no "sort of" vegan eater. There's only the self honest and the self deceived. One of the big emphasis in my life has been in being honest with myself about everything. I don't self-deceive for anything. We can justify many things to ourselves to let our ego get what it wants. But, what we will find is that we are not happy in that. Happiness, deep joy comes from honesty with self when we know our motives are basically good ones. When we have learned to sacrifice what the ego craves for what we truly want and is good for everyone. Vegetarian/Vegan eating is part of my spiritual plan. It is pretty wonderful for these last few months.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

Holy cow, I typed a big response, hit back space by accident and blammo, it's gone. Frikken heck..

Anyway, my wonderfully written response was basically, when you know where the meat your eating came from, it becomes a turn off. When you know that a number of studies have shown that animal protein is the number one cause of cancer it doesn't taste all that good. When you discover that eating vegetarian (or Vegan) has no down side, it begins to really get good. Once you see how you feel after a few months of well balanced vegetarian eating you will never look back. I wish I had done this years ago. I am into my fifth month as a vegetarian. I am pretty much Vegan now. I say pretty much because I can't remember if I have eaten some cheese or not. If I did it was because someone else put it on my food. I was a big yogurt eater. Once I found out that dairy and calcium (both in yogurt) were the leading cause of prostate cancer I stopped eating it. I like my prostate. It does awesome stuff. I would like to keep it, thank you very much.

My advice to you would be, don't eat too many salads. I don't like salad. It's OK, but for somebody else, not me. I like stir fry. I don't even care what kind. There are so many wonderful spices out there. I throw in some onions, green and red peppers, mushrooms, a little cabbage, maybe some baby carrots, broccoli, and a little peanut oil, a splash or two of soy sauce, and damn.. My wife says "I want some". She loves it (except the baby corn). I also like Thai yellow curry with rice noodles and veggies, maybe mix in some tofu. And, Mexican for me is vegetarian fajitas with plenty of refried beans and tortillas. I like the Indian food too.. Man I love spices. Bland food isn't worth eating to me. So, I make eating vegan an experience. It has become a license for me to eat exotic. To experiment. And, I can eat guilt free. When my meal is done I know that it had very little environmental impact. And, over time, all my stuff works better.

Monday a week ago I walked 20+ miles. That's right, 20+ miles. So far today I have walked 7. This is probably the least that I will walk all week. When I get home I have plenty of energy. My wife wishes that I would leave her alone. Before, after a long day, which included a meat heavy lunch, I would get home and just be worn completely out. Now, I work a lot harder than I did then and I feel a whole bunch better. Seriously, I wish I had discovered this when I was 18 (30 years ago).

Some military buddies of mine and I have this sort of half serious half joke agreement. If 2012 turns out to be a real bad time we have a meet place up in the hills. It's a 40 mile walk from my house. Should the poop hit the fan then, I know I can walk it. No big deal. I'll be there in an easy two days. Probably less. I'm not sure that last year this time I could have said that with such confidence. I promise you I can walk that 40 miles, with a pack, in less than two days. Why, Vegan eating combined with walking several miles a day. When I was living off of what most everyone eats in this country I would not make it. And if I did I wouldn't be able to do much else.

So, the evidence in my life is that vegetarian eating has no down side. Yea, it cost a shade more the way I do it. My wife and I eat out a lot. Cheap-assed hamburgers are killing the people who eat them along with the planet. What is there about that that is a good thing? What we have been taught about how to eat is a lie. Plant proteins give all the protein we need (and more) without any of the negatives of animal protein, namely cancer. You can over eat when your Vegan but, it's damn hard to do. I eat like a horse. I love to eat. I am losing weight and it feels awesome. So, don't offer me any meat. I'm not tempted by that anymore. The smell of a fast food joint used to get my attention. Anymore it just smells sad. literally, I feel sad when I smell it. It smells like suffering animals and fat people ruining their lives. (May smell a bit like I'm crazy but, that's what I think of when I smell a fast food joint.)

I still have some canned chicken in my pantry. Every time I look in there I wish I had never bought it. I bought it months ago. It like, four small cans of regret that I don't know what to do with. If I throw it away is it disrespecting the animal that gave it's life? If I give it away is it perpetuating someone else's meat habit? If it just stays in there it will eventually go bad. I can't eat it. At this point, it's been so long since I've eaten meat that it might make me sick. I know I don't want to eat it.. You see what happens? Once you really get into this thing you have to go all out. There really is no "sort of" vegan eater. There's only the self honest and the self deceived. One of the big emphasis in my life has been in being honest with myself about everything. I don't self-deceive for anything. We can justify many things to ourselves to let our ego get what it wants. But, what we will find is that we are not happy in that. Happiness, deep joy comes from honesty with self when we know our motives are basically good ones. When we have learned to sacrifice what the ego craves for what we truly want and is good for everyone. Vegetarian/Vegan eating is part of my spiritual plan. It is pretty wonderful for these last few months.
This has been one of my favorite responses on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

That was a great read! I wish you hadn't lost your first try, but this reply was great. It's a great ad for why everyone should at least be open to the idea of going meatless. As far as your cans of guilt in the pantry, I totally understand. I would suggest donating them to a food bank. That way at least it's not a waste.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Want real returns on health? Go Vegan!!!

Your body and the animals will thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts