VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know a really effective meal plan that i could do? how much is too much grains and nuts, tofu and soy? is 4 servings of grain and 2 servings of protein too much or too little? i'm tring to lose some weight AND Im a vegan, so if anyone has some meal plans i could use to lose 10 to 15 pounds, that would be a WHOLE lotta help! THANX, i need serious help...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Rose View Post

does anyone know a really effective meal plan that i could do? how much is too much grains and nuts, tofu and soy? is 4 servings of grain and 2 servings of protein too much or too little? i'm tring to lose some weight AND Im a vegan, so if anyone has some meal plans i could use to lose 10 to 15 pounds, that would be a WHOLE lotta help! THANX, i need serious help...
I don't post much but I saw yours and I am so with you on this. I've been trying to lose the same amount as you since having my baby 17 months ago. I started counting calories. Man is it a pain and you can't eat out unless you know what you are consuming. I cooked all my meals and measured everything and I had a book that told me the calorie of everything from grapes to grains you name it.

It really though depends on your body, what level of exercise you do and how much your body burns. My calorie intake might be different from yours because of my metabolisim and such. Counting calories though really helped me to see how much I was eating..and at that time I was vegan..(still trying to stay vegan) but it was amazing that a tofu scrambled breakfast with oil,potatoes, toast,vegan butter and all the fixins was a whopping 700 calories! It hadds up fast..just a peanut butter fold over with a glass of juice is several hundred calories..it depends on the foods of course but I was suprised and learned a lot doing this.

I was trying to stick to a little under 2000 calories, my activitiy level is low because I have arthritis. I walk and do yoga but I can not do strenuous exercise because that could do a lot of damage and render me bedridden...lol.

I'm not sure this really helps you or not and not everyone has the time to cook every meal and count calories but it helped me though with 3 kids I could not stick with it and went out on a binge and gained 5 more lbs yikes!

Today though I've started trying again..I want to lose these extra lbs before my 40th birthday.

I will tell you that my sister while not vegan is a vegetarian and did Weight Watchers and lost 14 lbs. You of course have to pay for that..being a stay at home mom and on a fixed income I'm determined to do it on my own.

Maybe we could try to lose weight together?

Anyways good luck to you!

Namaste,

Jen

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think I should add (so there are no misunderstandings) that I have a very small frame. I've been accused before of being "unhealthy" but that is not true. I eat and I eat a lot!

Gaining the extra 5 lbs may not sound like a lot to some is quite a bit for me.

Jen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a great idea to lose the weight together, i also count calories but i find it hard to forget about all those huge calorie foods (peanutbutter, oil, butter, ect) i know people say that its all about how much you intake, but it still all confuses me!(If i eat a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich for lunch, can i still have brown rice with (vegan) butter for dinner?) We could def. compare our meals that we eat each day and share meal plan, recipes, whatever ideas! Maybe i'll actually lose the unwanted weight if i have someone to do it with! Thank you a bunch!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

thats a great idea to lose the weight together, i also count calories but i find it hard to forget about all those huge calorie foods (peanutbutter, oil, butter, ect) i know people say that its all about how much you intake, but it still all confuses me!(If i eat a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich for lunch, can i still have brown rice with (vegan) butter for dinner?) We could def. compare our meals that we eat each day and share meal plan, recipes, whatever ideas! Maybe i'll actually lose the unwanted weight if i have someone to do it with! Thank you a bunch!
Yeah oil/butter adds up lol and sure tastes good!

The canola oil I use is 120 calories per tablespoon.

Tofu I think (depends on brands maybe) but 1/5 of a block(crazy measuring) is 110 calories so just those ingredients alone is 230 calories plus all the veggies and the like. It really adds up fast. People don't seem to understand that a calorie is a calorie if you don't burn it you store it..lol.

Regarding your question: if it falls within the amount of calories(reasonable) that you are allowing yourself daily than yes. This is where I was sure I made my calories count. I did not drink soda (empty calories) I drank only water and for a treat an 8 ounce of my favorite grape juice (130 calories for 8 ounces) oh I do drink coffee and use soy creamer which I measured and only used a tablespoon for each cup. I tried to keep it simple and use the serving amount on the package.

I do not use sugar substitutes.

I ate only whole foods.

I did not use any recipes. I cooked from scratch because the recipes I had did not really tell you exactly what a serving was it was and it was hard to decipher everything.

I wanted to be as precise as I could be to get a good idea of what I was taking in.

Now as far as knowing how many calories to take in daily..that might take some time because everyone's body is different and physical level plays a part. If you are very active you should be taking in 2000 calories or maybe a little more...if you are not very active or exercise lightly(like me) than you might be able to do 1900 or a little more it really just depends.

I read after 2 weeks of exercise, eating balanced meals but low calorie you should see some weight loss.

Ok sounds great lets work together...I'll go through my notes from last time and see what meals I was eating...I cooked a lot!..LOL do you like to cook?

I'm long winded and write a lot so sorry if this is too long.

Jen

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you guys have any questions or need help with meal and exercise plans, I can offer my .02; I'm studying to be an RD and looking towards applying my knowledge!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yEA I DO LIKE COOKING! NOT THINGS THAT ARE TOO TIME CONSUMING, BUT ITS FUN TO CREATE MEALS FOR YOURSELF JUST THE WAY U WANT THEM. oKAY, SO I AM GOING TO TRY AND INTAKE ABOUT 1400 calories a day for the size and frame of my body and height. so, tomorrow i'm looking to have

B- 1/2 bagel (100) Vegan cream cheese(70)

L- broiled veggies (50 for one cup) cheese sanwich(100 for 2 pieces of bread and 100 for two pieces of cheese)

S- Luna bar (200)

D-smart menu "chicken" and rice in orange sauce(300)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yEA I DO LIKE COOKING! NOT THINGS THAT ARE TOO TIME CONSUMING, BUT ITS FUN TO CREATE MEALS FOR YOURSELF JUST THE WAY U WANT THEM. oKAY, SO I AM GOING TO TRY AND INTAKE ABOUT 1400 calories a day for the size and frame of my body and height. so, tomorrow i'm looking to have

L- broiled veggies (50 for one cup) cheese sanwich(100 for 2 pieces of bread and 100 for two pieces of cheese)

S- Luna bar (200)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx karenlovessnow for the vegan chart, that helped me a lot with what i need each day, and thank you laurie15, i will def. be asking u questions in the near future if thats still okay with u..thanx

S- Luna bar (200)

so in all thats.... about 870 calories? not including the fruit i have on the side for mid morning and fter dinner snacks, and this is just for tomorrow, hopefully i can keep up at this.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I could use some guidance. Counting calories I think one can get a little lost in the nutrition aspect of it so I will be asking questions thanks!

Jen

·
Registered
0 Posts
I can't start until Wednesday. I have to go to the store I'm low on veggies and I want to plan a few meals before I start to make sure I've got everything. We are doing some repairs in our bathroom for the next few days so I don't have time until that's over with.

Your menu for today sounds ok...seems balanced...but I'm kind of posting fast today I've got to do a few things before the tile guy gets here.

Jen

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:

S- Luna bar (200)

so in all thats.... about 870 calories? not including the fruit i have on the side for mid morning and fter dinner snacks, and this is just for tomorrow, hopefully i can keep up at this.
daisyrose - i'm relatively worried about your menu - although you are choosing healthy options, you're eating far too little, and it isn't very balanaced at all. i can give you some ideas, if you like, but i don't want to overstep my boundaries. please let me know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

thanx karenlovessnow for the vegan chart, that helped me a lot with what i need each day, and thank you laurie15, i will def. be asking u questions in the near future if thats still okay with u..thanx

S- Luna bar (200)

Ok now I have a little free time.

Could I offer up my opinions?

I think 1400 is a little low. Even very sedentary elderly people have at least 1600 hundred calories or more a day. Having such a low intake can actually make your metabolisim work slower because your body is in starvation mode therefore you will lose less weight...it's not healthy.

For breakfast try a slice of whole grain bread (I don't think bagels offer much in the form of nutrition they are basically white flour)

with a tablespoon of peanut butter for protein and a serving of fruit..or a fruit smoothie those are really good for breakfast.

Lunch you could have a salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, sliced carrots, cucumbers with a light dressing.

Try steaming your veggies instead...I think they retain more cooked that way.

Instead of the "cheese" sandwich try the steamed veggies over rice.

I have a recipe for walnut sauce thats great over rice.

These are just suggestions really...

You need to make your calories nutritious...I'm not an authority on nutrition by any means but I do know you need to eat a variety of whole foods to keep your body healthy and eat processed foods sparingly.

I usually have for breakfast roasted potatoes, scrambled tofu( with tomatoes, onion,either kale or collard greens) and a slice of whole grain toast with a glass of juice. I've streamlined my breakfast and it's usually around 400 calories or so.

Lunch I may have some beans on a whole wheat tortilla with a salad made with romaine lettuce,spinach and other veggies and a piece of fruit.

Dinner I like stuffed veggies so I might make stuffed zuchini with millet or bell pepper with rice with more veggies(love em)

I try to drink 64 ounces of water a day..not always but I try..thats about 4 bottles of your bottled water you find in the store.

Your body really needs the water.

I need to go over my notes this is just from memory...last time I counted calories was in early August.

I hope that we both can learn and lose weight together but still enjoy the art of food..lol!

Peace,

Jen

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I went from 138 to 123 pounds (I too have a small frame) by doing three things:

- I started exercising

- I reduced my calories to about 1,600-1,800 a day, and entered my daily food into www.fitday.com to get an idea of approx. how much food that is. Also, fitday helped me to figure out what the best "bang for my buck" is nutritionally.

- I focused on HEALTH, NUTRITION, and SUSTAINABILITY not pounds. I had dessert nearly every night, but a small portion. I didn't weigh myself at all throughout. I finally did after 8 months and discovered I'd lost 13 pounds. I have no idea when I reached that weight, it could have been after two months for all I know. I have since lost two more without trying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

daisyrose - i'm relatively worried about your menu - although you are choosing healthy options, you're eating far too little
Even then, there's only two servings of fruits/veggies! She should be up around 8-10.

And don't be afraid of calories that also offer you good nutritional value.

·
Registered
441 Posts
meatless - that is what i meant - she was choosing good options, but not enough of them!
thanks for clarifying that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, is it okay to eat all whole grains all day if i eat under 1400 calories? i'd eat veggies and friut as side dishes and snacks between meals. Or do you still gain more weight?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have to agree with LunaWinds. If you eat under 1400 calories a day you are looking at harming yourself. There are calorie calculators you can find online. You can enter your activity level, height and weight and they will tell you how many calories you need to eat to lose weight.

You're supposed to have, I think, 5 servings of whole grains everyday. They are good for your body and especially your heart.

If you exercise more you can basically eat sensibly and not have to count calories 'n such.

Be careful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts