VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SEPARATE IN-FLIGHT SEATING FOR VEGETARIANS REQUESTED

The Managing Trustee of the Bhagwan Mahaveer Foundation, Sri N. Sugalchand Jain has written to the management of all the Airlines operating in the country to allocate a separate VEGETARIAN ZONE in the aircraft for pure vegetarians on the same lines of the erstwhile smoking and non-smoking zone.

At the time of having in-flight meals, it is a distasteful experience for pure vegetarians when the airhostess asks them if they are vegetarian or non vegetarian. To make matters worse the poor vegetarian suffers from nausea and loss of appetite when seated beside somebody who relishes non vegetarian food which emanates strong smell. It is precisely for such reasons that many pure vegetarians refuse to take meals or snacks served in flight.

Shri Jain has also suggested that all passengers may be asked for their food preference at the time of issuing Boarding Pass while check-in. Besides improving the comfort level of the vegetarian traveler, it also enables the airline staff to avoid asking irritable questions and serve the customer efficiently. The number of vegetarian or non-vegetarian meals could also be determined in advance and could probably help in the reduction of wastage of meals and thus cut down costs. It is an acknowledged fact that more and more people are turning to vegetarianism. In international flights to cater to the vegetarian customer, the vegetarian meals are further segmented into Asian, Jain, etc. which goes to prove the importance given to the vegetarian traveler who incidentally happens to be a high net worth individual. Shri N. Sugalchand Jain has exhorted the management of the airlines to respond proactively to the sensibilities of the increasing number of vegetarians. E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Of course the airlines would never in a million years consider serving only veg meals. That would make too much sense.

I suspect that this this guy's lacto - if so, he's on an awfuly high horse for someone who's eating liquid meat.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Folks are so excited when farmers agree to give veal calves an extra few feet to move around in, proclaiming its a step in the right direction and belittling those who wonder if its a waste of time, but if someone makes a prodigious effort to help vegetarians be greatly more comfortable in public places, folks attack him for not being as complete a vegetarian as they are. Talk about high horses. You should be singing this guy's praises, for helping you have a more comfortable life, instead of attacking him for not being perfect like you. Wouldn't it make very little difference if veal calves got an extra sq ft to move around in, but a lot of differnece if you didn't have to have people next to you eating beefsteaks? Wouldn't you rather sit next to someone eating yogurt than to someone eating a hunk of chicken?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Where is this guy from? The names in the post all seem Indian to me, though I'm no expert. There's also a reference to separate smoking and non-smoking sections, which no longer exist in the United States (smoking is against the law on all flights here now).

Also, I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in the US, you're lucky if you get a snack on a flight these days, let alone a meal. Maybe it's just because the flights I take are usually relatively short (1-2 hours), but even the flights of over 3 hours only give you a small sandwich or something. I haven't flown one of those since going veg, so I don't know about the veg meals.

--Fromper

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I generally would prefer to not eat airline food at all. If I'm gonna fly, I'll bring something in my carryon that I can eat just in case I get hungry. But otherwise...bleah.

·
Registered
927 Posts
"At the time of having in-flight meals, it is a distasteful experience for pure vegetarians when the airhostess asks them if they are vegetarian or non vegetarian."

Give me a break! Let's see what we can do the reinforce the stereotype of vegetarians as hyper-sensitive and high-strung...

Being able to consistently get veg meals when traveling is adequate accomodation for me, thanks.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

"At the time of having in-flight meals, it is a distasteful experience for pure vegetarians when the airhostess asks them if they are vegetarian or non vegetarian."

Give me a break! Let's see what we can do the reinforce the stereotype of vegetarians as hyper-sensitive and high-strung...

Being able to consistently get veg meals when traveling is adequate accomodation for me, thanks.
I really don't care what the people next to me are eating...

11,550 Posts
it appears that the foundation is based in india, so i'd assume the rest of it relates to india.

i quite like the idea of having a vegetarian section on the plane, to avoid yucky smells, but it wouldn't be logistically practical outside of somewhere with a high density of vegetarians.

i understand how sitting next to someone chomping on a slab of cow would be very unappealing for a lot of vegetarians, and so yep, it'd be nice to have a meat free zone. if they want one in india, fine by me.

but i also wonder about whether segregation is a good thing in other regards though- for example, i've had a few conversations start with my neighbours on planes about my 'special meal'- shoving us all in one spot might stop this kind of thing from happening and others from learning how tasty and healthy vegetarian food can be.

i'd not be horribly offended by someone asking me for my meal choice on the plane (i look as much like a cow-murderer as the next girl, i guess!?!) - but i'm used to ordering it way in advance of the flight, cos where i am there aren't such a large ratio of veggies, and if i didn't, i would get the choice of chicken or beef.

i don't know... i think indians vegetarians get it really good already in lots of ways... have you seen their mcdonalds menu, for example (check out mcdonalds indian vegetarian section!) ? in the states and canada they don't have a veggieburger and we can't even eat the fries, and over there there are completely seperate cooking zones!

maybe they don't know how good they've got it to be asked 'meat or non meat?' as aposed to 'chicken or beef?' on the plane.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
i can see it now, carnivores asking to be seated away from those smelly vegetarians and their reeking vegetables and tofu!

11,550 Posts
i've been thinking about this a bit more, and am starting to wonder... could this be perhaps about some people in the jain community beleiving that vegetarians (and/or jains) are better than, or superior to non vegetarians? (as aposed to being people who have made what could be seen as 'better' ethical food choices, and/or who happen to follow a different religion).

perhaps their desire to get their own special area: maybe they don't want to sit with the 'inferior' or 'unclean' meat eaters, and don't want to be asked if (shock horror) they want meat, or not, because it shows that the hostess doesn't automatically know if they are one of those 'inferior' or 'unclean' meat-eating non-jain people, or not?

i really hope its not like that, 'cos i really hate that 'i'm better than you' crud... look where its got us so far.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
hooded clawjen "could this be perhaps about some people in the jain community beleiving that vegetarians (and/or jains) are better than, or superior to non vegetarians? (as aposed to being people who have made what could be seen as 'better' ethical food choices, and/or who happen to follow a different religion).

perhaps their desire to get their own special area: maybe they don't want to sit with the 'inferior' or 'unclean' meat eaters, and don't want to be asked if (shock horror) they want meat, or not, because it shows that the hostess doesn't automatically know if they are one of those 'inferior' or 'unclean' meat-eating non-jain people, or not?

i really hope its not like that, 'cos i really hate that 'i'm better than you' crud... look where its got us so far."

Perhaps perhaps perhaps. There is nothing to suggest all this conjecture. Nothing was said about vegetarians being intrinsically better than non-veg. However a veg diet IS better than a non-veg diet. For the environment, for the individual. And there is nothing to prevent someone from being seated in the veg section, as long as they are eating veg food. There is nothing to suggest that this is about discrimination against someone because of what they ARE. It is about being offered a chance to sit in a better, more pleasant section, where they don't have to listen to the awful noise being made by the sound of screaming of animals going to the slaughter, coming from people's consciences - and all you have to do to be seated in the quieter section, is to be willing to eat the better food that is being served there, that tastes better and is better for you! No-one is asking them what they ate yesterday, or what they are planning to eat tomorrow.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
By the way, this is not about getting the government involved, to enforce a separate non-meat section, the way governments were involved in getting non-smoking on airplanes. This is about people writing to an AIRLINE to request a separate section, and the airline doing so voluntarily, if they have enough passengers that want it.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think for a normal born vegetarian, if some one say "this is special meal" and that too it has to be requested in advance, it hurts. Do you think vegetarians are abnormal people or they have special need for special meal?

I think vegetarian food has to be open choice in any airline even without prior request or not. And there is absolutely no need to call it special meal.

Some some airline will make initiave on this issue. There are more than 500 million born vegetarians on this planet.

Contrary to hooded clawjen statement , at present vegetarians are looked inferior in some way and considered abnormal on some segments of this planet while flying.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornveggieboy View Post

I think for a normal born vegetarian, if some one say "this is special meal" and that too it has to be requested in advance, it hurts. Do you think vegetarians are abnormal people or they have special need for special meal?
Wow. If that hurts, then life must be one giant ball of pain for 'em.

Quote:
I think vegetarian food has to be open choice in any airline even without prior request or not. And there is absolutely no need to call it special meal.
That doesn't even make sense. In the US and most of the west, veg*ns are somewhere around 3% of the population. Hint: that means your meals will be special requests.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I also want separate, soundproofed seating for those with kids, and separate seating for the smelly.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
It is about being offered a chance to sit in a better, more pleasant section, where they don't have to listen to the awful noise being made by the sound of screaming of animals going to the slaughter, coming from people's consciences - and all you have to do to be seated in the quieter section, is to be willing to eat the better food that is being served there, that tastes better and is better for you!
and the curtain muffles all that mental noise? out of sight is out of mind, i guess?

Quote:
i've been vegetarian since before i could say 'vegetarian'. i feel special. special doesn't have to mean bad, or inferior, or abnormal, it can mean unusual, unique, treasured, or just different. we're ALL different and special in various ways- some ways you can see, some you can't. do you not treasure being different to those who eat meat- or feel special for choosing to continue your diet?

i guess if society deems a 'normal dietary choice' to be 'what the majority eat' then in a way, yes, it is 'abnormal' in many locations to be vegetarian, but again, its not wrong because its slightly deviant to the mainstream. 'normal' doesn't equal 'right' or 'better'.

where i live, only 10% (max) of the population is vegetarian, and maybe 2% eat vegan, (like me) so my diet, and my choice (for most people, it is a physical choice, if not an ethical/spiritual neccessity) as to how i eat, makes me somewhat special. in fact, i eat vegan while consistantly avoiding other things due to allergies, so i'm extra-special. they don't even make an inflight meal that is 100% safe for me to eat.

if i need a vegetarin meal, i need my meal to specifically not contain some items commonly used by others. someone has to make sure that i have a meal which is especially prepared with foods especially suitable for me, with my needs, because most other people eat different things to me. i do have a special need for a special meal, because my diet is not the same as the majority of the population- just like it would be if i needed a kosher or halal meal, or a meal with no gluten, no wheat, no nightshades, or no sugar. its not a big deal for me.

Quote:
it is an open choice. i think you have to say 'i would like this choice please' for many things, if you want them. just like how everyone else on my flights has to pick 'chicken or beef' if they don't say they want something else before the food goes onto the plane and the plane goes into the sky. the vegetarian meal will be a special choice until everyone else wants vegetarian food too, and then when meat eaters are the 10% instead, they'll get to be the ones with special request meals.

in europe and the americas, its not the only special choice- you're in good company with the gluten free, asian meal, and fruit platter people, amongst others, so don't feel bad, feel special

i can understand that you don't want to be special, especially if you feel looked down apon.
it'd be nice if nobody ate meat, but i don't mind being seen as different for being me, and not eating meat- however people look at me, i AM special, and not only because of how i eat

Quote:
Some some airline will make initiave on this issue. There are more than 500 million born vegetarians on this planet.
they will when there is money in it for them. as long as most people want meat, they probably won't, cos it'd be bad business sense to peeve the majority of your clients by depriving them of their chicken a la king.

i'm curious as to your feelings about the 'non- born' vegetarians? where do they fit into this? are they inferior to born vegetarians in your eyes? should they get to sit in the vegetarian section too? what about people who had meat for breakfast, but want to eat vegetarian for lunch, would they be welcome in the new section? could they use the vegetarian- only toilet- i assume there would be one? (i think it'd be risky to let them!)

Quote:
Contrary to hooded clawjen statement , at present vegetarians are looked inferior in some way and considered abnormal on some segments of this planet while flying.
i NEVER feel inferior because of my choices. i'm not just abnormal while flying, i'm always abnormal
. and who said you were inferior? don't let anyone try and make you feel inferior for being different- who are they to judge you? and just because they say/feel/think something about you, that doesn't make it true. i might be different, heck, even 'abnormal', but i'm never inferior, not good enough, or 'wrong' because i'm unusual. never.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts