VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted your opinions on this letter I typed up for our local pet store. I want to write a letter to the editor about the benefits of pet stores working with animal shelters and there is another pet store (not the one in this letter) that I am working towards shutting down. I thought it would only be fair to first contact Ruffins and make a suggestion before mentioning them in a letter to the editor, but the one that I want shut down won't be getting the same chance. Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

Dear Allison Kikauka,

I am contacting you with an inquiry and suggestion regarding Ruffins Pet Centre in Stratford, Ontario. It has come to my attention that the majority of pet stores make a profit from supplies rather than the actual selling of animals. I am also aware that selling animals creates a supply and demand effect.

I have been to your store many, many times and really enjoy the atmosphere you have created. However, I often wonder why your store and company doesn't work more closely with the local animal shelter. Rather than promoting over-population due to irresponsible breeding and more unwanted animals caused by importing exotic reptiles why not offer to help the humane society in adopting out shelter animals? I realize that you don't breed the animals yourselves, but what really happens behind the scenes?

This way the humane society benefits by having more space and better resources, and your store benefits from supply and demand. I know that you do in fact support the local animal shelter, so why not take it to the next level? I also feel that if you were to stop selling animals and let the public know how you are helping, more people would come forward with pets that they can no longer look after. Most of which came from your store to begin with. I know of many people who have purchased reptiles from your store and end up letting them go or neglecting them, feeling that the humane society does not have the resources available to help. This saddens me a great deal, and I feel it is my responsibility as an individual and capable human being to speak out for those who cannot.

Should you choose to go the route that I am suggesting, I would be more than willing to help get the word out and inform the public about your act of kindness. I appreciate you taking the time to read this letter and am looking forward to a response.

Sincerely,

Patricia.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i like it a lot piscesmom. about the only suggestion i have is to emphasis the "razor and blade" economics, and to deliberately draw attention to the 'humane society' section, perhaps even kicking back a part of the proceeds to help other animals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.