VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy will be speaking to two different classes, and anyone else who shows up next Tuesday night. I'm in one of those classes. I don't care for PeTa, or the misogynistic ad campaigns that Dan Matthews is responsible for. What kind of questions should I consider asking him during the Q & A?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Whatever you ask, be sure to start by introducing yourself as a veg*n who agrees with the stated goals of PETA, and only then ask something like "Don't you think it's hypocritical to have ad campaigns that treat women like meat?"

--Fromper

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I agree with Fromper. Identify yourself as a vegan before presenting your criticism.

"Are you aware that many vegans and vegetarians are embarrassed of Peta, due to offensive ad campaigns and very obvious sexism?"

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

What kind of questions should I consider asking him during the Q & A?
"Why did you have a pescetarian from Coldplay promoted as the sexiest vegetarian?"

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a rough draft of my proposed question:

I'm a vegetarian and I agree with the stated goals of PETA. Can you please explain to me why treating farm animals like meat is wrong, but treating women like meat for your sexist ad campaigns is okay?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Here's a rough draft of my proposed question:

I'm a vegetarian and I agree with the stated goals of PETA. Can you please explain to me why treating farm animals like meat is wrong, but treating women like meat for your sexist ad campaigns is okay?
Revision #1:

I'm a vegetarian and I agree with the stated goals of PETA. Can you please explain to me why treating women like meat for your sexist ad campaigns is necessary to achieve these stated goals?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
What was PeTA thinking when they came up with the "Save the Whales" billboard?

Why does crazy Ingrid hate pit bulls?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:

I'm a vegetarian and I agree with the stated goals of PETA. Can you please explain to me why treating women like meat for your sexist ad campaigns is necessary to achieve these stated goals?
Yeah I really wouldn't ask that. That's the kind of standard question they've been asked 3892382398923 times, and they have their standard response to it. They would probably say that all their women are volunteers, who make their own choice, and that they believe in women's choice to use their bodies for what they want to use them. The question is too general. What I would ask instead is:

"you must be aware of how much criticism you get from feminists, some of whom might otherwise be sympathetic to animal liberation. since people who become interested in animal rights for the long-term are usually also concerned about other progressive causes, don't you think it would be better not to alienate those people?"

Then I would also ask:

"wouldn't it be better to either run a no-kill animal shelter with more funds allocated from your other campaigns, or then to get out of the animal shelter services altogether and only focus on the campaigns? right now you seem to be hovering somewhere in the middle, and alienating a lot of people because of it."

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Maybe the Jr Farmers of America can stage a protest against them when they get there.

wear fake fur and have a grill going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts