VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try my hand at seitan. What's the best way to make it? I heard one place made loafs? But recipes I read say to boil pieces? What's a good recipe/method? Thanks..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Keegan!

I found this link over at Recipe Source (great recipe site; used to be SOAR), that has both recipes for making and preparing seitan:

Making & Cooking with seitan

I can't remember the manufacturer, but I bought a kit to make some from my local health food store years ago. This may be an easier way of making it than "from scratch". It's very versatile!

Hope this helps! Happy cooking!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I've had very good luck with Bryanna Clark Grogan's seitan recipes. My boyfriend and I made her beefy seitan and the ham flavor and they came out very nice. We kneaded the gluten in our bread machine and then cooked the pieces in our slow cooker. This method is very easy and pretty no-brainer. The only slightly messy part is shaping the pieces before putting them into the slow cooker and even that wasn't too bad. The beefy seitan is especially good, it tastes very much like roast beef.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi Keegan, Here's my recipe for gluten (seitan). I've made it for years, and years, and years.....

Gluten Steaks

3 cups gluten flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

½ cup dry tapioca

3 tablespoon chicken-style seasoning or

\t3 tablespoons beef or onion seasoning

4 tablespoon yeast flakes, optional (This is nutritional yeast, available at some health food stores)

Mix dry ingredients well. Add all at once:

2 ¾ cups water

¼ cup soy sauce

Stir quickly and knead a little. Let stand in a lump in colander while making broth.

Broth:

12-13 cups water

3 tablespoons oil

½ cup soy sauce

3 - 4 tablespoons chicken, beef or onion seasoning (onion soup mix is good)

Bring to a rapid boil. Make two long rolls out of the gluten in the colander and cut into slices and flatten a bit. Add to boiling broth. Simmer about 1 hour. Makes about 3 quarts.

To Use:

Roll in cracker crumbs and fry until golden. Serve with gravy as meat substitute for dinner or use as a sandwich filling in a vegetarian hamburger.

Gluten and Dressing

About 4 cups cooked gluten steaks, breaded and fried

About 4 cups turkey dressing made with bread crumbs, onion, and savoury (or sage), margarine

2 or 3 cups mushroom gravy

In a 9x13-inch dish arrange layers of dressing and fried gluten, beginning and ending with dressing layer. Pour gravy over top and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Serve with cranberry sauce if desired.

·
Registered
593 Posts
i made some setian the oter day- it was try #3 or four i think- boy i dont think i can get used to it, I dont like the taste. I was really looking forward to experimenting with it too.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I prefer buying seitan to making it. Maybe a holdover from my meat-buying days?

Anyway, it's definitely easier, and it tastes good. One of these days I'll... nahhh. I'd rather spend time on VB than prepare my own seitan.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Personally, I think homemade seitan is soooo much better than store bought. I used to hate seitan, until my boyfriend made some for me. I think the store-bought stuff tastes like ass. :p

The recipe I use is really very easy. The actual hands on time is about half an hour, the rest is mixing, resting and cooking.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could you be a little more discriptive Jess? Thanks, and thanks to everyone else. When I get money, I'm running out to buy gluten flour! (is that the same a vital wheat gluten?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.