VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am rubbish at making seitan. Everytime I make it it doesn't matter what I seem to add to it, it still tastes like bread to me - and I want it to taste a little meatier! How do brands make their seitan taste meaty but I can't?

I've been vegan fooooorrrrrr...around 6 months now and I miss meat SO much...it sounds crazy its even worse when its 'that time of the month' or when I'm drunk haha. I don't want to have a crazy moment and rampage through the shop buying meat to eat in secret haha but I feel thats what its coming to!

I NEED a seitan recipe that is meaty, I also live in the UK so no ingredients that I couldn't find here so try not to use brand names. I have plenty of wheat gluten.

Could I use gravy (brown, not white) granules to flavour it? would it work being a thickener though?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I am rubbish at making seitan. Everytime I make it it doesn't matter what I seem to add to it, it still tastes like bread to me - and I want it to taste a little meatier! How do brands make their seitan taste meaty but I can't?

I've been vegan fooooorrrrrr...around 6 months now and I miss meat SO much...it sounds crazy its even worse when its 'that time of the month' or when I'm drunk haha. I don't want to have a crazy moment and rampage through the shop buying meat to eat in secret haha but I feel thats what its coming to!

I NEED a seitan recipe that is meaty, I also live in the UK so no ingredients that I couldn't find here so try not to use brand names. I have plenty of wheat gluten.

Could I use gravy (brown, not white) granules to flavour it? would it work being a thickener though?

·
3,936 Posts
you could put Marmite in it......but I found when I made seitan, to just make it plain(boiling it) and then fry it and then put it in a sandwich and put the marmite in the sandwich separately....seemed to work ok.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I'm not sure.....I'm not an expert. Do you have the Veganomicon cookbook? I really like her cutlet recipe, which is similar to seitan, but doesn't get simmered for as long....it's quite good.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I merged these threads as they are duplicates.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.