VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a partner who is interested in helping start a vegan Eco-hostel with the goal of using any profits to help local animals with a sanctuary or rescue. If you have some hostel experience, or capital to put into the project, then that is great. However, your desire and motivation to help animals is a far greater asset.

You need to understand that this isn't going to be a well paying job. It may start out as only room and board until the business starts making money. And even then, the focus will be on the animals.

Central and South America are probably the easiest. Africa is a possibility. Asia and Europe are more difficult unless you are a citizen or have some serious contacts.

Please IM with your interest. Also, if anyone has any ideas on locations, or what you would like to see in a hostel, please post in the thread with your suggestions.

·
Banned
2,533 Posts
This is a great idea :) Definitely not enough vegan orientated accommodation available. I wish you luck in your venture :-D

When I finally shrug off my family responsibilities I'm planning something similar in Europe (sustainable, off-grid vegan B&B though rather than a hostel).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about a B&B as well, but the reason I am leaning more toward a hostel is that hostels are usually visited by young adults who are more likely to have an open mind. My idea is to expose as many of these young adults to the concept of a cruelty-free lifestyle as possible.

Also, I want to eventually offer discounts on room rates for visitors who volunteer with the rescue/sanctuary.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am surprise how little response I have received with all the ads I have placed online. I thought there would be tons of vegans looking for a job that allows them to help animals, live in a foreign country, and become partners in a company. Maybe the people for whom I am looking don't have internet access.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Oh, I would love to do all above sounds great to me .... Unfortunately I cannot leave the U.S anytime soon , you see my mother has been ill for several months and I even put going away to college on hold for the time being to remain close to her ....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Oh, I would love to do all above sounds great to me .... Unfortunately I cannot leave the U.S anytime soon , you see my mother has been ill for several months and I even put going away to college on hold for the time being to remain close to her ....
I definitely understand that. I hope your mom feels better soon.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeyCoey View Post

I am surprise how little response I have received with all the ads I have placed online. I thought there would be tons of vegans looking for a job that allows them to help animals, live in a foreign country, and become partners in a company. Maybe the people for whom I am looking don't have internet access.
Well, I can try to help you out with some questions and suggestions:

Hostels are a competitive business. A very competitive business. Locals have a huge advantage in this space and start up costs are among the highest of any small business.

Is this just in the 'pie in the sky' idea phase at the moment, or have you done market research?

If so, what's your business model here? Do you have any documents or spreadsheets or anything you can share?

Have you worked at a hostel or hotel before (very important)?

Have you ever started a business before?

It's very hard to get investment in the realestate space right now, and it's all but impossible to get a business loan for quickly depreciating assets like furnishings and unrecoverable investments like remodeling.

What kind of capital have you raised that you can invest right now?

Have you been preapproved for a substantial loan or mortgage on real assets, or have you talked to your bank?

Creating a startup of anything in brick and mortar in a competitive market is profoundly expensive.

If you give readers more assurance that you understand the costs and the nature of the business you want to get into, and you're prepared for them, that will go a long way (as in, people will consider it).

Personally, I wouldn't go into the hostel business with less than a half a million dollars U.S. to lose on it (and that's peanuts compared to what it could cost).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you have to know what you're doing and preferably have expert help.

If you're open for suggestions, how about asking around for ideas for easy to start up vegan business ideas?

I'm sure the forum is full of them, and you'll find a partner a lot easier that way.

Also, a note of caution: Make sure you can get along with your business partner. I've noticed you have some very strong opinions, and that can be a good thing, but it can also lead to some serious conflict that could jeopardize your business relationship if you aren't willing to put it on the back burner (many people reading this post may be worried about that if they have disagreed with your positions in the past).

I hope that gives you some ideas. :)

I'm sure there are people who would be interested in this, but they're probably just skeptical because you haven't posted a lot of reassuring details.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you wanted my honest opinion, I think it would be better for you to meet a nice vegan girl (unless you swing the other way) who is receptive to the idea and slowly build her interest. A hostel sounds like a nice thing to do as a couple, not business partners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts