VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I love white rice, particularly basmati rice with butter.
I'd like to switch to brown or whole grain rice for the health benefit but I just can't get into it.
It's the texture, the harder shell makes it a mouthful of chewy/crunchy when I'm looking for soft.
But there are many different types of rice, can anyone suggest a healthier version that tastes and feels like white?

BTW, what do vegans use in place of butter?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Earth Balance is great as a butter replacement! And Smart Balance Organic or Smart Balance light.

As far as brown rice goes, I'll be interested in any responses you get. I just bought a 2 lb. bag of brown Basmati rice and was terribly disappointed. I'm donating it to a woman at work who likes brown rice. I can't find a brand that works for me...I'm addicted to white rice, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It took me a while to get used to it... and now I don't like white rice. Same with whole wheat and white bread... now white just seems blah... want the sproutesgrain or nut and twiggy bread now.

Alien

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive via TapaTalk

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
How are you guys/gals cooking your brown rice? I'll admit that brown rice is a bit more chewy but not that much. Also give it time, your tastes should change. I no longer care for white rice at all... bland.

I pressure cook my brown rice (actually a mixture of several brown/wild rices) on high for approx 20 min and do a slow release on the pressure. I add maybe 1tsp of olive oil and some veggie bullion for flavor. IMO it comes out very good.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I cook it in my rice cooker...my daughter said to try it in the slow cooker. It's how she makes hers and she likes it. For me, I don't mind if it's chewy...I don't like the outer shell...you know, those little pieces that aren't 'rice' that lurky mentioned.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I hate white rice. Jasmine, Basmati, regular, etc. are all gross to me. I am in love with short grain brown rice. I don't know what it is about the short grain brown rice compared to the long grain but for some reason I find it ten times better. It just seems so much more fluffier, nuttier, and tastier especially if it's sticky rice.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
If you add the amount of water to cook it in and let it soak in the fridge overnight it's much better! No rinsing, it'll be ready to cook.
Since I've been presoaking I never have a problem.
I usually buy basmati.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

If you add the amount of water to cook it in and let it soak in the fridge overnight it's much better! No rinsing, it'll be ready to cook.
Since I've been presoaking I never have a problem.
I usually buy basmati.
Cool...maybe I'll try this tonight before I give the bag away...lol

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I'll have to give the pre-soaking a try.

I prefer brown rice with Indian and Asian foods, white with typical American foods, like "chicken" gravy. I probably eat about half and half. I just try to cook something else with a lot of fiber in it when I serve white.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I don't pre-soak, but I do saute the raw rice for a little bit before I add it to the boiling water. I just use a pot on the stove to cook it, though. I'm always looking at buying a rice cooker, but I'm ridiculously afraid of exploding pressure cookers, so I've not considered those.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Pressure cookers are great and the new ones are safe. Get over your fear, as I did. You'll be happy you did.

Things that used to take 5 or 6 hours, now take 20 minutes!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I like the texture of brown rice over white rice but for some reason brown rice makes my stomach cramp pretty bad unless it's cooked to complete mush. So needless to say I don't eat brown rice. I just use quinoa in place rice most of the time for a healthier option to white rice.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Pressure cookers are great and the new ones are safe. Get over your fear, as I did. You'll be happy you did.

Things that used to take 5 or 6 hours, now take 20 minutes!
I've been looking at that amazon pressure cooker link and I'm really tempted.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I also am a brown rice fan (never touch white stuff) and always cook it in a pressure cooker. The ones that you buy these days are no longer dangerous.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
be sure to add enough water when cooking brown rice, its usually 2 times as much water as rice.

my bf isnt a fan of brown rice, so i mix brown and white rice together and he likes it much better. still getting some benefits from the brown, while the texture of white rice.

i cook both rices separate and mix them after cooked, might be able to cook them together but the white rice will cook faster so might be more mushy.

note about pressure cookers: the new ones aren't necessarily safer, i bought a new one in box last year and it exploded after 6 months. it was a cheaper kind, so the safer ones are most likely the expensive ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree that it takes time to get used to the brown rices. Now we love them best! I still use white for Chinese fried rice because the brown just didn't get it.

I don't soak or pre-fry...just cook according to directions on the stove top making sure to use the longest suggested times.
Don't give up, it's worth it!

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

be sure to add enough water when cooking brown rice, its usually 2 times as much water as rice.

my bf isnt a fan of brown rice, so i mix brown and white rice together and he likes it much better. still getting some benefits from the brown, while the texture of white rice.

i cook both rices separate and mix them after cooked, might be able to cook them together but the white rice will cook faster so might be more mushy.

note about pressure cookers: the new ones aren't necessarily safer, i bought a new one in box last year and it exploded after 6 months. it was a cheaper kind, so the safer ones are most likely the expensive ones.
Oh no!! I was just working up the nerve to buy a pressure cooker over my explosion fears! You probably just saved my life though.

And to the original question, I like short-grain brown rice and often throw in a handful of wild with it.
In a pot on the stove.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post

Hello
I love white rice, particularly basmati rice with butter.
I'd like to switch to brown or whole grain rice for the health benefit but I just can't get into it.
It's the texture, the harder shell makes it a mouthful of chewy/crunchy when I'm looking for soft.
But there are many different types of rice, can anyone suggest a healthier version that tastes and feels like white?

BTW, what do vegans use in place of butter?
Thanks
Well as for brown rice I've found that cooking it like this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
makes it delicous! I can't get my family to eat brown rice unless I prepare it this way. It gets rid of alot of the 'chewiness' and the mouth feel is more like white rice.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
It's not the chewiness or crunchiness that bothers me...it's the shell/skin/grain/kernel...I don't know what else to call it...the thing that separates from the actual grain of rice. So you end up with rice, (which is perfectly ok) and then 'bits' of inedible stuff (which is not ok).

I did the soak overnight thing but it didn't take care of the 'bits' problem.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

It's not the chewiness or crunchiness that bothers me...it's the shell/skin/grain/kernel...I don't know what else to call it...the thing that separates from the actual grain of rice. So you end up with rice, (which is perfectly ok) and then 'bits' of inedible stuff (which is not ok).

I did the soak overnight thing but it didn't take care of the 'bits' problem.
Hmmm...I've never had bits that separate from my brown rice? Sorry I guess the baking preparation wouldn't help with this either then? Not sure about that...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts