VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby and I have a friend with stage 4 kidney failure who is awaiting a transplant. He recently started drinking smoothies and we gave him a smoothie book for Christmas.

He had his first visit with a dietician this week and showed her the smoothie book. She said shed rather him masticate the fruits and veggies by eating them instead of drinking them in smoothies. He was really disappointed to hear this since he recently bought a blender solely for making smoothies.

Im looking for opinions from the dieticians and doctors on this board. Why is it important that he physically chew the food rather than consume them pureed? All of the fiber and nutrients still exist in this form. Could drinking the smoothies exacerbate his condition?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Geeze, sorry to hear about your friend. I obviously can't tell you anything definative as to why she would recommend him eating them instead of making smoothies (he should ask his dietician and doc eta: it's weird that he wasn't given the basis for dietary advice by his dietician) but my first instinct tells me it would be due to the amount of liquids he consumes. Since our kidneys make urine then excess water could require his kidneys to do more work, which they obviously can't handle. I imagine she gave him dietary recommendations which might have included water restrictions. I just called my boss tho and he'll be calling me back (he's a kidney guy) so if has anything to say I'll post it.

eta: i'm going on the basis that to make a smoothie we'd have to add some type of liquid like juice, water, ice. I don't see what the difference would be between puree and whole fruit.

etaa: some more questions...is your friend on dialysis? If he is then fluid restrictions might not matter. If he's not on dialysis and has marginal kidney function then fluid restrictions might come into play and I would also be concerned about consuming fruit. People in renal failure who are not on dialysis need to be really careful with potassium intake among other things.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gaya, thanks so much for your response.

That makes sense about the water restriction. I'll ask him if that's why she recommended against smoothies.

He's not on dialysis yet, but he did have a stent (sp?) put in just in case he may need it. He's on a bunch of beta blockers and the dietician also recommended extra vitamin D.

I was aware of the potassium issue, since my dad was also recently diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease, and is also battling with type 2 diabetes. I just learned my friend and my dad have the same dietician. My dad joked that he hates her for not letting him eat all the things he loves, but he thinks she's a good dietician. I'm not sure how well he sticks to his new diet, which scares me because he's too old for a transplant.

If you have any more info I can pass along to my friend (and my dad), that would be great.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Gaya, thanks so much for your response.

That makes sense about the water restriction. I'll ask him if that's why she recommended against smoothies.

He's not on dialysis yet, but he did have a stent (sp?) put in just in case he may need it. He's on a bunch of beta blockers and the dietician also recommended extra vitamin D.

I was aware of the potassium issue, since my dad was also recently diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease, and is also battling with type 2 diabetes. I just learned my friend and my dad have the same dietician. My dad joked that he hates her for not letting him eat all the things he loves, but he thinks she's a good dietician. I'm not sure how well he sticks to his new diet, which scares me because he's too old for a transplant.

If you have any more info I can pass along to my friend (and my dad), that would be great.

Thanks again!
well, if i were you i'd kick your dad's but on a daily basis. I know it's hard with all those restrictions but what can you do. diabetes and kidney failure are common co-conditions and he could end up in real trouble if he doesn't watch his diet (obviously). I don't know how much you and your family knows about the kidney. I have a super basic power point w/handout I created last semester that i'm trying to find on my computer so I can put up here for you.

eta: ask your friend to ask his dietician if yogurt could be an option for smoothies in leu of water/juice. Again tho, he's got to be real careful of what he chooses to put in these smoothies.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is all new to my family, so we don't know much about the kidney, so that power point presentation would be great. The dietician gave my mom and dad a complete list of what he can't eat (beans, nuts, olives, chocolate - all his favorites) and restrictions on other things like dairy and eggs and other things I don't remember off the top of my head. He does well for the most part, but I did see him sneaking a small handful of nuts and m&m's.

I will pass along the info to my friend about asking his dietician about yogurt. What other types of things should he be avoid in his smoothies? I just realized I gave him some flax seeds to put in his smoothies. That's probably off limits too, though, huh? What about spinach? I'd recommended that to him to get in his leafy greens before I understood about this whole kidney thing.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I know we have a couple of dieticians here on VB and at least two physicians. They could advise re: diet. Lothar (physician) and fyvel (dietician) might be able to help. I'm going to pm you the stuff i have. I just found it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi!

On renal disease its important, that he doesn´t consume kalium- like banana and and grapes have a lot. Thats like forbidden then. What concernes the smoothie in opposite to "real fruit" i could imagine that it has to do with digestion- you produce way more own digestion fluids in you body by chewing than by just swallow down something liquid. If its that, he should try to keep the juice a while in his mouth. eg lemon juice will become sweet after a while, that then the exact time when there are enough own fluids produced to digest the lemon at its best and to have all of the vitamines and so.

love, dolores

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you fyvel and dolores.

I will pass along your responses to my friend and encourage him to ask questions regarding his dietician's suggestions.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Like Gaya said: water is the main concern. But ask if potassium is also of concern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts