VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I put cinnamon in most of my baked goods. I also use soy sauce or tamari in most of my gravies and soups.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Peanut butter in chilli - it adds depth to the flavour. You need just enough to deepen the flavour, but not enough to recognise the taste of the peanut butter. (I use about a tablespoon full in a chilli for 4 people.)

The idea originally came from the World Food Cafe in London, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Cocoa powder in chili
a pinch of sugar in marinara
cornstarch in stir fry (its not really unusual but a lot of people don't know about it)
vodka in pie crust
Okay....so what effect does the cornstarch have? And how much vodka do you put in a pie crust, and why?

I NEED TO KNOW!!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
cornstarch thickens stir fry sauces, its how Chinese restaurants get that thicker sauce. its added near the end of cooking, i mix a few tsp with water or broth until it makes a "slurry" then add it to stir fry sauce ( you can take cooked veggies out and just make the sauce or not, works both ways)

i use equal parts water and vodka in pie crusts, its usually 2 tbsp of each. the vodka helps the dough be more workable, gives it almost a playdough texture rather than the sometimes crumbly and delicate texture of regular pie dough. the vodka also helps make a flaky crust because it evaporates at a different rate than the water does.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:

cornstarch thickens stir fry sauces, its how Chinese restaurants get that thicker sauce. its added near the end of cooking, i mix a few tsp with water or broth until it makes a "slurry" then add it to stir fry sauce ( you can take cooked veggies out and just make the sauce or not, works both ways)

i use equal parts water and vodka in pie crusts, its usually 2 tbsp of each. the vodka helps the dough be more workable, gives it almost a playdough texture rather than the sometimes crumbly and delicate texture of regular pie dough. the vodka also helps make a flaky crust because it evaporates at a different rate than the water does.
Thanks. I do use cornstarch when I am cooking a curry - but with stir fries I generally use just a variety of spices and soy sauce, as there is not a lot of sauce. I'll try adding a bit of cornstarch next time.

I've never heard of using vodka in a pie crust before, I'll definitely be trying that!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

a pinch of sugar in marinara
cornstarch in stir fry (its not really unusual but a lot of people don't know about it)
+ 1 to both
Everyone should know about these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Peanut butter in chilli - it adds depth to the flavour.
That's wicked, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Okay....so what effect does the cornstarch have?
luvourmother is right about thickening. Asian foods can often have sauces that have the consistency of water (think; soy sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar) this all adds up to quite a liquid dish. Cornstarch helps veggies cling to the sauce and makes it a lot more flavoursome as a result, I find

Quote:

the vodka helps the dough be more workable
cool!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Some finely chopped celery in chili. (Would probably go good with peanut butter and cocoa powder too.)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
nothing super secret, but I love coriander in all kinds of dishes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
lemon juice in water. Makes the water taste like something . you dont even need that much just a tiny dash. I also use peper in lots of things. Peper in my opinion can make a bland thing taste good without having to add any salt i hate salt.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I keep it a secret whenever I put tofu in baking, if that counts! Otherwise people wont eat it

and alcohol in everything
Alcohol in everything....I like that idea

I use tofu a lot but it is obviously unrecognisable half the time: I had a conversation with my husband and son at the dinner table the other evening, after I had made a spinach quiche. I was telling them how healthy it was for them, with all that spinach and tofu. My husband said 'tofu? Where's the tofu in this?'!

Hmmm, darling, you do know I don't eat eggs, don't you, and the white/yellow bit in quiche is normally the eggy part?! Where's the tofu? Pffhh...

·
Registered
29 Posts
to make a healthier hummus i dont use tahini. my recipe...
3 cloves of garlic
can of chickpeas(keep the water they come in, in a seperate dish to make the hummus smoother later)
lemon juice. to taste
soy sauce 1 -2 teaspoons maybe more
it tastes a bit different and you can add any other flavorings you like but i love it!
mince garlic add to food processor, add chickpeas lemon juic and soy sauce and begin to process. add the "chickpea juice" until it it the desired consistency. A LITTLE AT A TIME!!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

and alcohol in everything
I love cooking with alcohol! Sometimes I even put some in the food...

I ALWAYS put cinnamon and a square of bakers chocolate in chili.

I add nutmeg to my dark leafy veggies (kale, collards, chard)

I also put vegan mayo in my brownie mix, but thats a southern thing.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I like to add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sugar to plain peanut butter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts