VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is preparing to put trainers back in the water with its killer whales for the first time since a trainer was battered and drowned by the companys largest orca one year ago Thursday.

SeaWorld told The Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday that trainers in its three U.S. marine parks will begin limited "water work" with whales within the next few months, with the interactions initially restricted to small medical pools equipped with false-bottom floors that can be lifted out of the water.

The company said it also will spend tens of millions of dollars in coming months on safety upgrades at its killer-whale facilities in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio from custom-designed, fast-rising pool floors in its larger show venues to underwater vehicles that could be used to distract an out-of-control killer whale with pulsing lights and whale vocalizations.

Company officials said they intend to proceed slowly and have not decided when or even if- trainers might once again go back into the water with killer whales during public shows. SeaWorld trainers have not been permitted in the water with the whales since veteran SeaWorld Orlando trainer Dawn Brancheau was killed by a 6-ton orca named Tilikum on Feb. 24, 2010.
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/na...osition=recent

Tilikum had been involved in two other deaths. One of a trainer and the other a drunk homeless man.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

yep, i remember this.
sad that instead of releasing them (if it's even possible now) they spend all this $ making better cages.

He clearly has sent a message loud and clear that he hates captivity and that he will continue to kill unless his demands are met.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
He clearly has sent a message loud and clear that he hates captivity and that he will continue to kill unless his demands are met.
i don't wish harm/death on anyone...saying that, anyone who gets in the water with him to control/dominate/train him deserves what they get. cant wait to see who literally goes first.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ridiculous, actions have consequences, and the rage of this poor animal says 'let me free.' Anyone getting in the water gets what they deserve, and no amount of money spent on security is addressing the real problem here. Grrr.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

i don't wish harm/death on anyone...saying that, anyone who gets in the water with him to control/dominate/train him deserves what they get. cant wait to see who literally goes first.
i don't wish harm to anyone either but jeez it's hard to have sympathy isn't it for anybody who gets in this whales way.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I am currently in a debate about orcas being kept in captivity, on another forum I belong to.

I don't know how animal rights supporters can stay SANE while dealing with these ignorant people. I am getting so angry because they believe what they want to and refuse to see the logical side of the argument. I want to cry.
Half of their responses are "I am still going to Seaworld" and "don't a lot of whales die in the wild anyways? They're safer in captivity!"

Am I allowed to post a link here? I just want people to read the insanity and remind me that I'm not the crazy one here!!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

I am currently in a debate about orcas being kept in captivity, on another forum I belong to.

I don't know how animal rights supporters can stay SANE while dealing with these ignorant people. I am getting so angry because they believe what they want to and refuse to see the logical side of the argument. I want to cry.
Half of their responses are "I am still going to Seaworld" and "don't a lot of whales die in the wild anyways? They're safer in captivity!"

Am I allowed to post a link here? I just want people to read the insanity and remind me that I'm not the crazy one here!!
You're allowed to post links. You should remind them that captive orcas have drastically shorter life expectancies.

Quote:
Captive killer whales have vastly reduced life expectancies, many having only lived into their 20s; however, there are examples of orcas living longer, including many who are over 30 years old, and two (Corky II and Lolita/Tokitae) who are around 40 years of age. In the wild, female orcas can live 80 years (though these are rare occurrences), while males can live to be 60 (though the average for males is roughly thirty).

SeaWorld San Antonio's 14-year-old Taku, born in captivity, died unexpectedly on October 17, 2007. Trainers were notified that Taku had been acting differently a week before his death. The necropsy determined that Taku had died from a sudden case of pneumonia, a common illness among captive orcas.[52][53]

The original Namu developed a bacterial infection which damaged his nervous system, causing him to become nonresponsive to people. During his illness he charged full-speed into the wire mesh of his pen, thrashed violently for a few minutes and then died.[54]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_orcas

·
Registered
397 Posts
Poor whales. I'm sure I'd go mad like Tilikum did if my sonar was constantly being bounced back at me, it must be overwhelming. Not to mention they must be so sick of being alone and not able to interact with each other and their big family like in the wild. The sooner people realise that cetaceans (I know, other zoo animals as well but that's for another discussion!) shouldn't be kept captive, the better. It'd also go a long way to helping shut down operations like the one in Taiji.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Apparently, the whale responsible for last year's death (and two previous human deaths) will be "performing" again starting tomorrow: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/st...type=ynews_rss

--Fromper
This is absurd! I think he's made it very clear he HATES IT, and he hates people for imprisoning him. The death toll can only get higher...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i don't understand how anyone would want to even be in the water with that specific whale after what happened. if he kills any more people they'll probably just euthanise him and get a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Trust me, it's been said.
One of my favorite counterarguments was "whales are reproducing in captivity, they can't be too unhappy!" or something equally baffling...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-...#axzz1GhgP8S3g
to that you could reply that human slaves reproduce as well so their lives must be sufficiently happy

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Blah, here is what someone who is "pro-Seaworld" said on another forum (in response to a short video clip showing Tili's performance)

Quote:
Shame it showed so little of his first day out of "whale prison". Glad he is getting to perform and exercise his mind and body more.
Seaworld = whale prison

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

This is absurd! I think he's made it very clear he HATES IT, and he hates people for imprisoning him. The death toll can only get higher...
Let's not get carried away! I'm sure that Tilikum has grown weary of all the bloodshed, is filled with remorse for his unjustified outburst, and just wants to work his craft in peace from now on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts