VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a snack to fill me up or just a lazy, quick meal sometimes I'll just eat a can of plain beans. Lately I started cooking my own beans, but they don't taste the same plain. I drained them and the cans usually have juice, is this why? But also they don't have any flavor to them. So far I've tried pinto plain, but I also want to try making black beans and lentils, so any help on seasoning those would be appreciated, too. Do I have to salt them or something when they're cooking to make them taste like a plain can of beans? Also, is the liquid at the end supposed to be drained or is the foam just supposed to be skimmed off?

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Yeah, you will definitely have to salt them. Most of the saltiness and flavor is in the juice.If you want them plain, that's about all you'll have to add. If I soak the beans before cooking, I always drain and cover them with fresh water and then add salt , but I don't bother with skimming off the foam ( although some say it should be done; guess it's a personal preference). I keep them in the liquid after cooking , because I love to sop it up with crumbled corn bread or tortilla chips ! Hope this helps. Let me know if you're looking for more "fancy" seasoning. I can give you some quick ideas.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I put them in a strainer and rinse and rinse until all the foam is gone, but then I am fussy..

With beans you can make all sorts of things, ie chilli, mexican chili which can be eaten in a burrito with other fillings, you can also make "baked beans" to have on toast.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I found that dried beans taste better than canned ones. I think because canned beans are soaked in liquids, there's a lingering tang to them. Recently, I've cooked beans (lentils, chickpeas, barley, onions) with curry sauce. It's quite good. You just have to add a bit of salt to it. Oh, and I also soaked the lentils, chickpeas, and barley beforehand for half a day.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I love dried beans. I often add fresh garlic, chopped onions, salt, pepper, and possibly other seasonings depending on what I am making them for. I think the crock pot is invaluable for cooking beans. I soak mine overnight, drain, rinse, add 5 cups water, seasonings, and cook them on low for 5 hours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I usually drain half of the liquid from the can and fry them with random ingredients-chopped onions and peppers, paprika, black pepper, and a bit of garlic. (If they're drying up too much adding in a teaspoon of olive oil does the trick for me.)

I also prefer red beans over any other bean. I can't stand the way pinto beans taste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.