VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching a clam bake on PBS and one of the lobsters was still moving and the guy Saussure good if they're a little lively. Are they seriously boiled alive? How are most fish killed? They just suffocate from lack of water? That's pretty horrific if so. ;(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Yes, thrown into boiling water alive. There was an "incident" on some popular TV show many years ago, where a Lobster actually screamed when He/She was being thrown in the boiling water.

Evil Humans think because Sea creatures are out of sight during their lives, that it's easy for anything you do to them once they've been forced to the surface to somehow be out of sight too, even if done right before your eyes.

I think about Lobsters being thrown into boiling water pretty often, when I'm adjusting the water in the shower and I get a little scolding hot water on me. Unbearable. And "crawfish". Damn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Aquatic creatures, either from saltwater or freshwater, normally die on their own on the way to the cooking area. They are usually allowed to suffocate, even if it really takes a while. Fishing boats will toss the live animals straight onto ice, so they die from the cold... it helps preserve their meat. There's no merciful killing...they just die.

"Chefs" insist on everything being fresh, so they keep the poor beast alive right up to the stove, but its really a minority when you look at all of the sea/water based foods people consume.

A side-note:
I grew up watching my father, a hunter and fisher, kill his animal prey the first second he could. When I grew up and learned how other hunters and fishers are, I gained an appreciation for his extra effort to kill the animal as soon as he'd caught it to prevent suffering...even fish. As much as I now disagree with hunting and fishing, I really think it was my father's consideration for the creature's pain that helped me open my eyes as an adult to the tortures our farmed animals go through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
I really think that fish get the short end of the stick animal rights/welfare wise.... I can read a TON about land animal slaughter houses and factory farming, but maybe I haven't been searching hard enough. I know that it was recently bothering me, and I found this. It's an investigration by mercy for animals in how catfish are skinned and dismembered alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9M8...layer_embedded

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/fish/

there is thier website for more information about fish. it helped me anyway. Keep googling! being and staying informed is key to our fight to help others! Also... I forget what movie it was that showed the dolphins being slaughtered? how they swill freeze up in pain after thier throats are slit?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
46 Posts
I grew up visiting family in Louisiana where crawfish boils are common. The fact that they are boiled alive is something they encourage. According to one of my cousins, the crawfish get their flavor from the boiling hot water, mixed with spices, that they swallow as they are being literally cooked to death. It's horrific to imagine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,075 Posts
I am glad to not be an omni anymore.. I dont have to feel the guilt of wondering if the crayfish suffered...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I remember one day at work, I got into a big argument with a coworker whose second job was at redlobster. She told me that they didn't even feed the lobsters while they were there, and then thought I was strange because I had a problem with it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
841 Posts
I used to work at Red Lobster before I became vegan, there, they killed the lobsters by stabbing them through the neck with a large knife then gutting them. Either way though, impossible to kill them or any animal humanely. Also, when fish are taken out of the water, they're usually taken fast enough to where they explode due to rapid pressure changes. Here's a link to an organization which does a lot of great work to help protect the oceans, I've met with their director, and it was extremely eye-opening: http://www.theblackfish.org/campaigns/

That said also, I'm currently in a new relationship with an omni. Although I certainly haven't converted him, he told me the other day that because of what he's learned from me that he doesn't want to eat seafood anymore. Because of what I've just mentioned here and because eating seafood often means eating endangered species. I'm kind of happy about this nice step in the right direction!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Yes, sadly, many lobsters are boiled alive. How are most fish killed in supermarkets? You might know this..but I'll explain it anyway. This is why I don't eat fish.

Unfortunately, six billion fish are slaughtered each year for the fish industry. Concerning this, there are no laws for prohibiting the abuse of fish. Like cows and pigs, fish are also raised on factory farms, called "aquafarms". Fish in aquafarms spend their lives cramped in filthy disease-filled enclosures. Because fish are hardwired for huge bodies of water, many go insane from the cramped space. Sores and damage to their fins may occur from knocking against the side of the tank. At salmon farms, there are as many as fifty thousand fish in each enclosure. Suprisingly, fish farmers feed fish nasty and vulgar chemicals to keep them alive in those horrible conditions. Horrifyingly, as many as forty percent of the fish die before they reach slaughter. The fish who survive are then starved for days to avoid waste contamination of the water during transport to slaughter. Is this ethical? During slaughter, many are still cut open alive, and many cold-blooded fish are freeze to death enduring excruciating pain for up to fifteen minutes.

There is also commercial fishing, where the fish are caught from the wild. Cruelly, commercial fishing uses a variety of methods to catch wild fish which includes pulling thousands of baited hooks through the ocean and dragging huge nets on the ocean floor. Once on deck, fish either die slowly while packed on ice or are maimed and butchered as their gills are removed. In the hooks and nets, unintentionally, billions of sea turtles, sharks, dolphins, and birds are also caught. Surprisingly, close to a thousand of these animals die daily due to these nets. Because they are unwanted, they are thrown overboard to become prey for birds while bleeding to death. Nets dragged on the sea bottom also carelessly kill endangered coral. These deaths are unnecessary. Thinking about the negative consequences of commercial fishing, people who eat sea food must see that the lives of animals such as fish and dolphins far outweigh a satisfied palate.

Whoo...long post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwife72 View Post

I grew up visiting family in Louisiana where crawfish boils are common. The fact that they are boiled alive is something they encourage. According to one of my cousins, the crawfish get their flavor from the boiling hot water, mixed with spices, that they swallow as they are being literally cooked to death. It's horrific to imagine.
I'm going to cry.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I still get told weekly that fish aren't meat and don't I eat them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

And I still get told weekly that fish aren't meat and don't I eat them.
I get that all the time as well. I just kinda explain to the people that meat is any kind of animal. Then I tell them that people that eat fish are called pescatarians.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im getting ready to start saying stfu. Cuz,im so tired of it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
There is at least one Japanese restaurant in NYC that serves live lobster with its tail portion severed for the ghoulish diners to enjoy while the animal suffers in their midst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeHumane View Post

Yes, sadly, many lobsters are boiled alive. How are most fish killed in supermarkets? You might know this..but I'll explain it anyway. This is why I don't eat fish.

Unfortunately, six billion fish are slaughtered each year for the fish industry. Concerning this, there are no laws for prohibiting the abuse of fish. Like cows and pigs, fish are also raised on factory farms, called aquafarms. Fish in aquafarms spend their lives cramped in filthy disease-filled enclosures. Because fish are hardwired for huge bodies of water, many go insane from the cramped space. Sores and damage to their fins may occur from knocking against the side of the tank. At salmon farms, there are as many as fifty thousand fish in each enclosure. Suprisingly, fish farmers feed fish nasty and vulgar chemicals to keep them alive in those horrible conditions. Horrifyingly, as many as forty percent of the fish die before they reach slaughter. The fish who survive are then starved for days to avoid waste contamination of the water during transport to slaughter. Is this ethical? During slaughter, many are still cut open alive, and many cold-blooded fish are freeze to death enduring excruciating pain for up to fifteen minutes.

There is also commercial fishing, where the fish are caught from the wild. Cruelly, commercial fishing uses a variety of methods to catch wild fish which includes pulling thousands of baited hooks through the ocean and dragging huge nets on the ocean floor. Once on deck, fish either die slowly while packed on ice or are maimed and butchered as their gills are removed. In the hooks and nets, unintentionally, billions of sea turtles, sharks, dolphins, and birds are also caught. Surprisingly, close to a thousand of these animals die daily due to these nets. Because they are unwanted, they are thrown overboard to become prey for birds while bleeding to death. Nets dragged on the sea bottom also carelessly kill endangered coral. These deaths are unnecessary. Thinking about the negative consequences of commercial fishing, people who eat sea food must see that the lives of animals such as fish and dolphins far outweigh a satisfied palate.

Whoo...long post.
Worth it though

I dunno how people can think it's ok to be a pescetarian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Worth it though

I dunno how people can think it's ok to be a pescetarian.
Thanks.


Yeah, but it really doesn't make much sense to be a pescetarian when there is so much cruelty going on in the fishing industry today. A lot of people don't understand that fish are animals that can feel pain. Plus...it's so much healthier not to eat fish!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I know this might not be a popular opinion, but everything stated in this thread and more is exactly why I prefer people cut out seafood (and poultry) first if they want to reduce their overall meat consumption- rather than just cutting down on beef/pork/lamb. I get that pescetarians are taking a step in the right direction, but they're just as "bad" to me. Though, I might just be biased seeing as I care much more for sea animals than land animals (not that I don't care for land animals at all- just prefer those in the water).

It upsets me that so many people don't give a damn when it comes to sea creatures. Many of them are extremely intelligent creatures with their own personalities and quirks. I've never been able to comprehend how so many people are willing, eager even, to kill or have someone else kill these creatures in such horrible manners just because they "taste good." It probably doesn't help that so many people believe that seafood, fish in particular, is "essential" in a healthy diet when that's not even the case.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top