VeggieBoards banner

Seabiscuit/Tobey Maguire

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  EquiPro 
This is what I found that supposedly comes straight from the horse's mouth (haha)...

Why he became a vegetarian in 1992:

"I never really liked (red) meat in the first place," he said. "And I had a really rough time eating chicken because I would start imagining what I was eating and what kind of life the animal led and all that kind of stuff."

I wondered this same question though. Not knowing the history of Seabiscuit, or being completely informed on how unethical horse racing is (but having heard of the horses being whipped and of course put down when they're injured during races
) I wasn't sure what to make of it. My best guess is that he's grossed out by meat, but doesn't pay a lot of attention to animal welfare issues. Hmm, he's still better than most people though!

Thanks for the information Equipro. Very well written, I wanted to understand more and now I do. Unfortunately I bet the movie will just make more people want to go to the horse tracks, sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.