VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been craving scrambled eggs like a fiend recently- so I bought a carton of tofu and added the Fantastic foods packt to it. Let's just say the carton of tofu was wasted b/c I could not find a soul that would eat it. i totally hated it. So in my desperation im wondering whther or not any of you had success with this whole scrambled tofu thing. It does not have t taste like egg- just taste good. If you have a recipe, feel free to post, I'll try them out this wkend.

Tomaito

·
Registered
0 Posts
I dont have a particular recipe but:

I saute onions, red peppers and mushrooms then i crumble the tofu in and mix it around- little S&P. I heard of putting in a dash of turmeric for color too.

Very tasty stuff it in a pita or wrap it up

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I use a seasoning packet from some company I don't remember (NOT Fantastic Foods), and I always add shrooms, mushrooms, peppers, and sometimes carrots. They make great breakfast burritos along with Yves veggie breakfast sausage.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
this is from www.veganmania.com:

1 pound (450gr, approximately) water-packed medium-firm tofu (NOT silken)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup pure water (optional, depending on how wet your tofu is)

2 heaping tbsp yellow, nutritional yeast flakes (NOT brewer's yeast)

2 heaping tablespoons yellow miso

2 tsp dijon mustard

1 tsp tumeric (for a yellow colour)

1 tsp sage

1/4 tsp each dried basil and oregano

salt and pepper to taste

1 onion, diced

1/2 green pepper, diced

1/2 red, yellow or orange pepper, diced

1 small tomato, diced

1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced

In a large bowl, mix the tofu with all the ingredients but the vegetables. Combine it thoroughly, until the tofu takes on a crumbled, scrambled-egg type consistency. Allow this to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour (overnight is best).

Once the tofu is finished marinating, heat a tablespoonful or less of extra virgin olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet and sauté the veggies (except the tomato) until tender. Add the marinated tofu and cook over medium heat until all of the water is boiled off. Stir in the diced tomato.

Serve with or over toast, English muffins or crumpets, or rolled up in tortillas, or any way you might have scrambled eggs, and enjoy!

Serves 4

This is also great if you stir in a bit of vegan "cheeze" at the end, just until it melts.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
the way to get great scrammble is to drain the tofu very well. i roll the tofu up in a towel and then place books on it. after about 10 mins i move the tofu to a dry area and roll it up again then place the books on it again. when the tofu is much more dry i crummble it then place it in a bowl with the mix. when i cook it i make sure the oil and pan is already hot. (med hi). any liquid you add to the tofu will be absorbed, so once it is well drained avoid any liquid other then the oil. a dash of hot sauce in the end is good. i also sometimes use mushroom, onions, and greenpeppers.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
oh and if you want an more chewy texture you can freeze the tofu first. you drain it somewhat then put in a freezer bag. freeze for a few days then let it thaw in the fridge. once thawed drain really well as in before by placing it under something heavy. it is worth freezing for the texture.

·
Registered
0 Posts
We use the fantastic foods tofu scrambler all the time.

First i dice up a potatoe and fry in olive oil in the skillet. Then i chop up some green pepper and onions and saute. add the tofu mixture, (use fresh, firm or extra firm) (not silken). add some garlic and cook until done.

Then we put lots of hot sauce on it. and eat it with toast.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
The trick to scrambled tofu is that you can't eat it alone. If you do, well.. You're really gonna know it's tofu. It doesn't taste or feel like eggs at all.

Hide it in a burrito, a sandwich, throw lots of veggies in with it. All of these great recipes have been suggested, already... but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I actually like the Fantastic Foods Tofu Scrambler and I eat in fried in Dairy Free Buttery Spray and eat it on a bagel with Gimmie Lean Sausage Patty and a Tofutti Vegan American Cheese slice.

Really good
Shannon/Zimma

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
BD, I see your curry and green onions, and raise you mushrooms and a side of fresh squeezed orange, carrot, and ginger root juice

(My breaky of corn pops and soy milk is starting to not be so appealling)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I made a great tofu scramble off the top of my head a few minutes ago actually.

I used half a block of drained extra firm water packed tofu

handful of sauteed onions, and red and green peppers, and minced garlic. throw in a dash or two of soy sauce also for saltiness.

After sauteeing the veggies, crumble tofu and add 1/4 tsp of tumeric.

At the last minute I threw in a handful of fresh spinach, and diced tomato's and served in a tortilla with refired beans and some extra mild salsa. ( I know I know whats the point lol )

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
mmmm all your recipes sound great!

i hope this thread has helped you out tomaito.

don't give up on scrambled tofu, it really is sooo yummy with the right combination of other veggies and spices!

i might have some for breakfast tomorrow after reading this!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Tofu Scrambles - out of the Compassionate Cook

1 pound firm tofu, patted dry and mashed

1/8 t turmeric

1 t onoin pdr.

1/2 t salt

1 Cup finely chopped vegetables (green bell pepper, fresh mushrooms, onions, tomatoes - whatever you like)

Place the tofu in a lightly oiled saute pan and cook over medium for 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked and the tofu is heated through.

Serves 4 Preparation Time: 15 minutes

(I have made this a couple of times and I liked it...and surprisingly my kids liked it, too.)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I've been thinking of buying that cookbook Mushroom. Are there lots of good (and more importantly - simple) recipes? (I can only afford 1 or two new books a month - not a big book budget). The Tofu Scrambles recipe sounds both good and simple

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
dvmarie, I haven't made much out of it...but most things have been good and easy. (We did not like the Artichoke Puffs at all.)

I use their biscuit recipe all the time...here it is:

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 Cups unbleached flour (I use half whole wheat pastry flour)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 Tablespoons margarine

3/4 Cup soy milk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, blend the margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture breaks down into fine particles. Add the soymilk and stir until the particles cling together. Turn out onto a floured breadboard or countertop and knead for 1 to 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Add more flour as needed if the dough is sticky.

With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into rounds (a drinking glass works well), place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.

Makes 12 biscuits.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CharityAJO

The trick to scrambled tofu is that you can't eat it alone. If you do, well.. You're really gonna know it's tofu. It doesn't taste or feel like eggs at all.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. Scrambled tofu is good once you add veggies and bread to go along with it. I like to make toast and throw the scrambled tofu inbetween the two slices to make a sandwich. When I eat it this way, I find it quite appetizing.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of that before. I have this delicious Trader Joe's Sprouted Barley bread that toasts beautifully and would be perfect with scrambled tofu and veggies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts