VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooba - floor cleaning robot

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Nishani 
#1 ·
Our downstairs is all tile because we have six animals and not all of them are super polite when it comes to bathroom behavior. I'm thinking about getting a scooba to help keep the floors clean.

I was wondering if anyone else has a scooba (or a mint) what they think of it. How does it do with animals (and animal urine)? Anyone?

#4 ·
I've got a Scooba and I love it cos I have a lot of open-plan floorspace in my house and it would take me ages and be far too boring to wash the areas by hand. I don't have any children or animals though, so I can't really tell you how it performs with regard to that kind of dirt, but it does my place great. My house does get dusty fairly quick though, so I usually spend a short time going around the floors very quickly first with a dry static mop to collect all the dust and other bits and then I put the Scooba on them.

#5 ·
I swear those things are creepily smart. As for the guy feeding it cheese puffs, that's probably what I would do if I had one. Drop things on the floor in front of it, wait for it to clean it up, giggle for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat.

#6 ·
Aaand sorry to necro/double post but my mother just bought one online. An iRobot Roomba. It's right behind me right now. Scary. I hope it's programmed to obey the first law of robotics or I think it may stalk/kill me.

#11 ·
They eliminate the step of having to do it.

Plus, the vacuum ones don't need detergent or anything. So those ones are, without a doubt, toil-free and useful. The only thing is having to empty them out, which is done with a hand vacuum anyway, so tons of saved work.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

They eliminate the step of having to do it.

Plus, the vacuum ones don't need detergent or anything. So those ones are, without a doubt, toil-free and useful. The only thing is having to empty them out, which is done with a hand vacuum anyway, so tons of saved work.
I don't see how it saves much work. I use my vac for dusting furniture and the exterior of electronics, etc. All the nooks and crannies take me more time than the floor which only takes a few minutes. Emptying the vac out is the biggest pain in the ass part. Just turning the on-button on, and moving around and sucking, is easy and fun. But emptying the dust collection chamber: you have to find your nuisance-dust dust-mask to wear, put it on before emptying, then take it off and return it to the box on the shelf, when you are through emptying, and then you still have to be very slow and careful about emptying or you get dust all over the place, back on the furniture, back on the floor, on your face, in your hair, on your clothes.

I have an air cleaner running a few hours a day. This limits how much dust settles, and how much I have to vaccuum. I don't leave it on longer because cleaning the filter and buying new filters is so much work. The one step that the robots eliminate, is the easiest part, the part that I actually find enjoyable. I enjoy sucking up dust, just like I enjoy weeding my garden. It is therapeutic.

#13 ·
If you enjoy it then don't spend $200+ on a robot vacuum. Most people don't, however.

And the cartridges are very easy to empty on these things. Just pop out, open up, empty into garbage, close up, pop back in. Takes like 15 seconds. Then you just put it in another room, press the button, close the door, and wait for it to either finish or run out of battery.

#15 ·
Have to be careful with the bunnies though.

That's another thing - our cats act like the thing is a natural predator. Poor babies, scares them out of the room it's in. Except for our little one, who stalks it, gets close, then decides she won't win against it and runs away.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Lol! Most of my bunnies stay in one bedroom, I could just put the sensor up to keep the robot out of that room. The other bunny hides from everything, he'd just go into his house when it ran. It might be kind of funny to see Nick interact with it, he always tries to attack the vacuum when I clean his pen, even when it's on and sucking his whiskers in.

I am trying to convince Husband that a Roomba would be a nice thing to get me for my birthday.
Should have paid attention to Woot.
That's where we got ours, for only $199 compared to their usual price of like $299.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Unless they fill themselves up with water and detergent themselves, and go to the store themselves, to buy more, when your supply cabinet runs out, they don't seem much like worksavers to me.
Well my current problem with mopping is that I can't do it unless my babes is napping. And when hes napping, i often want to nap too. If I fill up a mop bucket he will tip it over. If I put up a baby gate and keep him in the other room he screams bloody murder. If i ditch the bucket and use a steam mop, he gets too close. besides that thing doesn't work very well to clean.

Alas I have not found an adequate solution. Mint does a poor job mopping and Scooba reviews say they screw up too much.

Vacuuming is fine though because babes just takes his toy vacuum and follows me around. He used to mess with the cord but I fixed that by getting a cordless stick vac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.