VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I haven't been here in half past forever. I don't know if anybody remembers me or if anybody that I remember is even still around. One way or another, I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out again. My son has been successfully ovo-lacto for over a year now. I'm not super happy about some of his food choices, but at least he takes his vitamins!

Anyhow, he wanted to do a science fair project on different eating styles (vegan, ovo-lacto, omni) and their affects on the environment. I thought it was a super idea. His teacher gave him a big fat N-O! and told him to pick another topic. She said that all he would be doing would be using other people's research and that he had to do a project where he could actually observe something himself - an experimentish sort of thing. How fast does the cheese mold or whatever... follow? I'm trying to figure out how he can work that into his idea so he can still learn something about what he's interested in and fulfill her requirements. Any ideas???? I'm stumped!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Do you know a group of omnis, vegans, and vegetarians?

He could take a group of all 3 and do a survey about how their diet effects some aspect of their life? (like..their tiredness? or something..I cant really think of any examples specifically..)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like he could interview his classmates and teachers. I don't know how many of them would be anything besides omni - but that in and of itself would be a telling statistic, I'd think. I don't know if a survey would cut it as far as the teacher's "observation" requirement goes though. Argh! I don't remember MY parents ever helping me with MY homework like this!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Umm... maybe (this is definately taking it a little bit away from the original concept) some sort of a project on the different reactions of milk and milk substitutes (soy, rice, almond...) under different circumstances? I don't know, but that was my first idea. Then linking why they react the way they do with what's in them, where they come from (and why they offer different nutritional benifits)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about comparing a typical weekly menu from various people?

He could figure out how much weight they could gain in a year from their diet.

How much calcium they get daily.

He could measure their poo...

Scientific stuff like that.

I don't know how much time you have, but there's a link on the bottom of the page that might be helpful

ScienceFair projects

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He'd LOVE the poo measuring thing. So would his teacher! Not! HAHAHAHA! I think we're on to something with comparing typical weekly menus. Maybe she'd let him do it if he had to figure out average nutritrional/caloric intake amongst the different eating styles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.