VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, here's my ingenious idea:

We all post three groups of subjects which we either a) consider ourselves to be well versed in and therefore, willing to dole out information about b) know reasonably well and are confident enough on to talk about in detail c) Know little or nothing of and actively seeking to learn about.

Then, in theory, we all pm each other asking to be educated in a specific subject; of course, this will lead to counter-questions and discussions. This is the goal.

If you've any questions regarding my hastily conceived idea do feel free to ask.

Shall i start?

Well Versed in
British indie music of the 1980s
Uruguayan Football
Morrissey/The Smiths
Joanna Newsom
Oscar Wilde
The Solar System
North Korea

Adept at answering questions on
The Russian Rev
George Orwell
Fernando Pessoa
British 'Kitchen-sink' dramas of the 1960s
General indie music
The Middle-east
Evolution

Would like to know more about
Space beyond our Galaxy
General Physics
Stargazing
Napoleon

·
Banned
14,968 Posts
Sounds fun
. I don't see much difference in the first two groups and I wouldn't be sure which to place things in, so I've lumped them together.

Can teach about:

Cows
Animal behaviour
Honeybee cognition
Krishna and Hare Krishnas
Indian food and cooking
Makeup application
The Tudors
Diabetes
Snake & other reptile care

Would Like to Know More About

'Alternative' therapies, herbal medicine (not homeopathic)
How to take decent photographs
Religions other than Christianity and Judaism

Will probably think of more and edit.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
I have barely any clue on how many things I know some things about, if you ask me about anything then you might get a pretty decent answer anyway.

Reactions: Purp

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nice idea, but I'm not sure what counts as knowing enough about something. But still it's cool

Things I know a little bit about:
- Physics (unless you're a physics uni student and then I don't know any more than you!)
- Cooking and some baking (not bread!)
- Being a vegan in the UK! I figure most people here know about veganism anyway but if there's any UK vegetarians who want some practical information

Things I would like to know more about:
- Asian cooking - everything I know is from cookbooks, and vegetarian/vegan ones at that, so I'd like a more authentic insight
- Baking bread!
- Academic careers
- How to swim good front crawl

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Yeah, I don't really see a big difference in the first two categories, either. Should this just be for personal/hobby type information, or should professional stuff be included, too?

Can teach:
Chess
Rabbit care, feeding, and litter training
Juggling
SQL database queries (mostly MS SQL Server, but can usually get by on other platforms, too)
Ecometry software (if you don't know what that is, don't ask)

Would like to learn:
Music theory (reading sheet music, knowing which musical notes are which, etc)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

--Fromper

·
Impeach the gangster
9,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Yeah, I don't really see a big difference in the first two categories, either. Should this just be for personal/hobby type information, or should professional stuff be included, too?

Can teach:
Chess
Juggling
SQL database queries (mostly MS SQL Server, but can usually get by on other platforms, too)
Ecometry software (if you don't know what that is, don't ask)

Would like to learn:
Music theory (reading sheet music, knowing which musical notes are which, etc)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

--Fromper
Can you teach us how to juggle rabbits?

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Can you teach us how to juggle rabbits?
Ironically, yes, but it only works with a rabbit who doesn't mind being held in one hand. Since many rabbits hate being picked up, and will struggle to get free, you won't be able to juggle them.

Edit: Ok, now you've got me thinking about how to teach this over the internet. There are 3 steps to learning bunny juggling:

1. Learn to juggle 3 balls normally.
2. Learn to juggle 3 balls in a 52512 pattern. This does NOT require learning the basics of site swap notation to understand what a 52512 pattern is, since this pattern is probably easier to explain in words than numbers.
3. Juggle 2 balls and a rabbit in a 52512 pattern, with the rabbit as the 1 and 2's, while the balls are the 5's.

--Fromper

·
Registered
827 Posts
Can teach:
Literature/Linguistics (only a little of the second)
Critical Theories (Feminism and Transhumanism a speciality)
Living at university (I suggest anyone who will be going to university asks me about this, I can be very forthcoming and tell you the truth, not the brochure!)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Would like to learn:
Zen Buddhism (just tips and practice)
Piercing yourself, how to

·
Registered
734 Posts
I know a bit about:
Geology, especially Palaeobiology and the limestones of Dorset, England
Vegan baking
Cheap cooking
Cats
The life of Marie Curie

Would like to learn about:
Living in Australia
Creative writing
Crochet

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
What I Know About:

Pre-1980s grade B horror movies
Weird fiction
Natural vegan skin and hair care
Basic wiring, plumbing, remodeling, and general home maintenance
Interior decorating, sewing, upholstery
Dog behavior
Cooking, baking, and especially cake decorating
Indoor and outdoor gardening
Basic etiquette

What I want to learn:

Everything I don't know!

But especially:
Astronomy
Getting started on a fitness plan
History
Learning how to become motivated
What things like pansexuality and gender queerness mean
How to write fiction

I'm not currently receiving PMs from anyone but admins, mods, or contacts though. Maybe threads would be better? That way we can all learn all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i feel uncomfortable saying i know a lot about anything in particular these days.
i'm always up for learning more about iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wit-and-Wisdom View Post

Would like to know more about
Space beyond our Galaxy
General Physics
Stargazing
Napoleon
i may have answers to some of those

what kind of stuff do you want to know about stargazing, space, or physics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper
any tips on litter training would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I consideer myself an useless man but I know a little of:
> spanish language
> mexican history
> maths (from elementary school to highschool level)
And I would like to learn:
> how to prepare cheap meals
> medicinal plants
> enthomology

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

any tips on litter training would be greatly appreciated.
The most important thing you need to know about living with rabbits is that www.rabbit.org is the best reference in the world for everything bunny related. Here's their litter training FAQ: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

But to sum up, litter training a bunny is surprisingly easy. They usually pick a favorite spot to go, so often it's just a matter of letting them pick a spot, then putting a litter box down on that spot. Then lure them into the box with treats. Once they come to associate sitting in the litter box with getting treats, it'll be their favorite place in the world, and they'll want to "mark" it regularly to keep others away, so that'll just become their place to pee. And that's really all there is.

If they happen to pick a spot on the floor where you don't want to put a litter box, clean that spot thoroughly with vinegar, to get rid of the scent of the pee. Just cleaning it so you can't smell it isn't enough. You need to cover up the subtle scent that they can smell and we can't, which is why you need to use vinegar. Then try to lure them to a different spot next time.

One other thing: Bunnies often back up just before peeing. If the edge of the litter box is too low, their butt can hang over the edge, and they can pee on the floor outside the box, even though they're sitting in the box. Most pet stores these days carry "corner" boxes, where two sides are much higher than the other two, which are perfect for dealing with this problem. It should be pretty obvious from watching your bunny which corner of the box they usually pee in, so you'll know which way to align the box, if it's not actually in the corner of a room.

--Fromper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.