VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ate at my company picnic dinner, and the Croutons they had in the salad were nice WARM and SOFT!!! they were YUMMY!

Now keep in mind I'm used to buying packaged Croutons, they are always crunchy, it's like your eating rocks, and I learned to live with it.

Now is there a way I can soften the packaged Croutons? I really like the seasoning and I'm no cook. How hard is it to make croutons? I'm no cook.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Making croutons can be as easy as making toast, putting on garlic butter and cubing it. I think the traditional method is deep fried, which makes them much crispier, but not so healthy. I also hear it's better with stale bread.

As for softening packaged croutons, I doubt it's possible without making them soggy.

Experiment with different spices and different methods and you'll find a way you like

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The only way I know how to make soft croutons is to take little pieces of leftover pizza dough and deep fry.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Making croutons is very easy. Cube some bread, melt some vegan margarine or pour a bit of olive oil of your choice in a large skillet, add cubes and any seasoning you like ( garlic salt, dried parsley flakes, or my favorite, dry Italian salad dressing mix). Make sure you stir well and that all cubes are coated. This is where I usually transfer them to a baking sheet at 250 for about 20 min.,but I suppose if you wanted them soft you could skip that part and just keep on lightly sauteeing them until they're a bit crispy on the edges but still soft in the middle. I can't think of a way to soften packaged croutons, however. Home made is so much better anyway!

Here's a recipe to help out with measurements:

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/croutons.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Making croutons is very easy. Cube some bread, melt some vegan margarine or pour a bit of olive oil of your choice in a large skillet, add cubes and any seasoning you like ( garlic salt, dried parsley flakes, or my favorite, dry Italian salad dressing mix). Make sure you stir well and that all cubes are coated. This is where I usually transfer them to a baking sheet at 250 for about 20 min.,but I suppose if you wanted them soft you could skip that part and just keep on lightly sauteeing them until they're a bit crispy on the edges but still soft in the middle. I can't think of a way to soften packaged croutons, however. Home made is so much better anyway!

Here's a recipe to help out with measurements:

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/croutons.html
OOOOOOooooOOOH, the receipe calls for "sandwich bread" I assume this means the crappy unhealthy white bread, or will wheat(whole?) work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.