VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help here in getting my kids more varity in thier school lunches.

They are getting tired of peanut butter.

They do not eat school lunches at all since school lunches require a meat and milk.

Since I object to the meat ( not to mention they tend to serve processed stuff ewwww) and thier milk is the cheap hormone and antibiotic infested crap needless to say my children will never be eating that stuff.

I send a fruit daily and usualy something yummy like dark chocolate covered blueberry and such.

However thier main dish is lacking greatly, niether child has access to being able to warm anything up and peanut butter and jelly are getting old fast.

Any ideas? What do you send with your children?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Where do you live that your lunches require a meat and a milk? Lunches in many states provide at least a vegetarian option, and sometimes a vegan one.

I have been allowing my daughter to choose her own lunch menu, within reason, as she carries her own lunch most days by choice. She also makes her own lunch, which I think is more interesting than me always making it...so she gets a say in what she eats and how it is prepared.

The montessori school which she attends and at which I teach encourages this way of lunch preparation. Of course, it depends on how old your child is...but even a K aged student can prepare at least parts of their lunch. Anyway, to me a good thing to do is to provide a food pyramid type thingy...talk to your child about it...make a list of foods that he/she would like to have that are healthy (what kind of fruit would you like for your lunch this week?...do you want a sandwich or a wrap and what would you like on it? what kind of veggie would you like in there? do you want hummus or dressing as a dip?). Anyway, ask questions of your child...then grocery shop with your child and have him/her pick out the items on the list (good time to talk about organic and non-organic items). I don't think the secret to providing good nutrition is always having new and exciting things to eat that your mom made. I think the secret to a child learning/knowing good nutrition is a cooperative effort between parent and child.

Or...you can ask some people on a message board, but we have know idea what your child likes...and he/she does.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

A few links that may help you:
Thank you !

Bethanie, both of my children are special needs and have a hard time fixing thier own lunches as for what we get week to week well that depends on what is growing, on sale they do have freedom of a choice but perhaps not all that you give your child.

I'm not looking for menues I'm looking for idea's

San Antonio Texas, lovley huh? there are no veg*n options at the schools either of my girls attend.

The reason I ask people on a message board is because some may have many more years of practice sending thier kids to school and having to pack lunches than I do.

My child can not even spread peanut butter on toast despite being 11 years old and my younger one can not speak enough to tell me what she wants much less read or even correctly ID pictures so please do not lecture me about working with my children, unless you have lived and worked with them daily.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

you could read the 'BACK2SCHOOL: what's in your veg*n lunchbox?' thread in the teen forum for some ideas
Hmm, good idea I do not peek in that forum unless click an oopsy but I bet they have some great ideas

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
The teens do have some great ideas. Of course they do, because I post there

And I don't think bethanie was trying to lecture you or anything. It seems to me she was just trying to help out, but she didn't know your full situation.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
well durn, I'm sorry then for my lunch tips, which obviously were not very helpful for you. Looks like others have offered awesome tips though. Good luck with getting those lunches packed.

b

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do all kinds of crazy crap for my own lunch. I've been known to dump a can of chickpeas in a tupperware container and eat it like popcorn (reccommend draining first). That being said, your kids may not go for it. Try making a lentil curry. All you use is lentils, carrots, veggie stock, curry powder, garlic and onions. I'd be more specific to amounts, but I don't really measure much. The best part is: You can eat it hot, cold, however you want. The same applies to black beans and corn. I'll post the recipe for that as soon as I can get it from my step-mother.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know a great home made muesli bar you can pretty much add what u like depending on availability, vegan or vege etc.

50gButter/oil/equivilant

1/2 cup honey/molasses

1/4cup pnut butter

1cup toasted oats

1/2 cup each of toasted sesame and sunflower seeds

1/4cup chopped dried apricots...

Melt butter,honey,penut butter in a pan on low, stirring, keep on low,

(can toast other ingred undergrill if needed).

cook honey mix for about 10 mins (test a drop in glass of cold water, if it goes hard it's ready) then mix it all together and press into a greased or lined shallow tin...cut into bars or bite size bits before it goes hard!

YUMMY and healthy too

if you like chewy bars cook butter/honey for a shorter time

can add pepitas, sultanas, dates etc just make sure u have enuff toffee mix to cover it all !

·
Registered
709 Posts
I make luch for my neice and nepthew (who are 6 and 7). They only eat meat at their house or when eating out so I make their meals at least vegetarian but sometimes vegan. I always include a fruit, at least one veggie, a grain and a protein. They are very picky so I am always coming up with new ideas. Here are a few:

maccoroni and cheese (or vegan cheese) layered with frozen veggies in a thermos

burritos with salsa

salad, veggie and fruit

bagel pizzas with veggies and vegan pepperoni

steamed pototas and broccoli with a vegan cheese sauce in a thermos

a pita pocket stuffed with veggies

quesadillas with salsa

chili in thermos

dahl in thermos

soup and stew in thermos

stir fry in thermos

spagetti and vegan meatballs in thermos

tacos

I have my special vegan mix which they love. I take several nuts, seeds, corn nuts and wasabi peas and mix them with wheat germ and nurional yeast flakes.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I picked up a cookbook called the Vegetarian Lunchbasket which has all kinds of ideas. It has a lot of fillings for wraps and spreads and dips for crackers and veggies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts