1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
!

This is a long(ish) post, so sit back and relax

I attend a very strict academy. I've informed them that I am vegetarian. Now of course, as the chefs, they should know the basics of vegetarian, vegan etc.

So when they gave me quiche, I politely refused and told them I did not eat meat, fish or eggs, as I previously stated. The chef then proceeded to look at me and say "well, what did you eat yesterday?" I said "Quorn mince pie..." and she said "That had eggs in it." I said "Well, is that not something you should have considered before?" she then sighed and gave me back the plate of quiche. I immediately said "No, thank you. I don't eat eggs. Is there any other alternative, please?" so she gave me a filthy (yes, really) look and handed me a plate of 4 potatoes, looked at me smugly and said "There you go, it's vegetarian."

By this point I was losing my patience and I thanked her and left. The potatoes were cold.

What do I do?
I was lucky because today was "vegetarian day" so there was pasta with cheese on top. I didn't have to deal with them today.

Could somebody please give me some advice on how to deal with the chefs? They are starting to upset me, as this is not the first time I've found problems with their food - I once found a chest-length thin blonde hair wrapped up in my food. Seeing as I have thick, barely shoulder length black hair (at that time) I went back to let them know. They proceeded to accuse me of it being mine. I stared at the woman (who, coincidentally had a thin blonde "weave", tied up in a bun.), said nothing, and left.

Thank you all for reading my post - sorry if it seems long!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think you should approach them at a time that isn't lunch time. It is unusual for a vegetarian not to eat eggs, which is probally why they were confused.

If you approach them at lunchtime there is little they can do, and they'll be busy, and it probally isn't their decision/responsibility what is on the menu anyway. If it were me, I would speak to your head teacher and explain that you are a vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs, and ask if they would be able to accommodate you. Then they either speak to the catering staff themselves (if this happens, be extra polite and grateful to them, or maybe even seek them out to thank them for the extra effort - so it doesn't appear that you went over their heads. That is if you don't want to cheese them off, which you probally don't if they're cooking your dinners), or maybe you can go with your head incase they have any questions. Ultimatly the catering staff probally don't have that much control so by asking them, you are probally making requests/demands they can't really accommodate.

Perhaps you could suggest just a few days a week they make the vegetarian meals egg-free (I am presuming you are otherwise able to eat pack lunches or buy sandwhiches? I know at my school you could bring your own, buy sandwhiches, jacket potatos, pasta or have the main meal which had a meat and vegetarian option... I'm assuming it's kind of similar and so you don't need to eat the main meal everyday? if not ignore that bit!), or that when the vegetarian meal happens to be egg-free they put a sign up (like, if they write it up on a board, they could put EF next to it or something) or let you know if you ask, or something like that. Perhaps, if they only have a set main meal, they could have something simple (pasta and tomato sauce, baked potatos and baked beans, or something similar) on standby for you, so they don't have to make something seperate, when the vegetarian meals aren't egg-free?

It's up to you - and it depends what other options are available (for example, if you can't bring your own food, it's unreasonable for them not to have food you can eat each day) but by making an effort to comprimise they are probally more likley to make the effort for you too - at least that's how I'll see it. It depends on your school/head/staff... sometimes people only listen if you kick up a fuss, sometimes people respond badly to kicking up a fuss, sometimes people just wanna help you out and so approaching it in nice way is for the best for everyone... only you know your school/head teacher/etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply :)

In this school, so everyone is 'equal', we all have to eat the same. "You're not permitted to bring food, at any time, into the Academy." as the rulebook says. There are only two students who do not eat eggs at our school (I am one of them
) and we don't have a sign to say what we're eating. We just 'get what we're given.'

My head teacher really doesn't like me. I've made attempts before, not at this but on another subject - I was trying to find a way to 'recycle' the food - she said to me the food should be used as compost(??) and nothing more was said about it.

I have no other way of contacting them, as they come in at 11am, which is when my lesson starts. They cook the food until 12pm which is when years 7-8 eat their lunch. I eat from 1pm-2pm. I start my lesson at 2pm and they have packed and left by 2:15pm. I have no way of speaking to them otherwise.

It may not help that English is not their first language so sometimes it is hard to communicate when I say things such as 'lacto-vegetarian'. Still not 100% sure on what to do, thank you for your input =)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds to me that if it is a rule that you cannot bring your own food, they need to accommodate you. Perhaps your parents or guardians can step in? I'm not sure if the head teacher is what we Americans call the principal, but they can't force you to eat something that is against your morals. If you were allergic to eggs, would they really expect you to eat them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the head teacher is the principle, just different names :)
If someone's allergic to eggs they, 9 times out of 10, eat meat. So they'll eat the meat option.
I once told the teacher I didn't eat fish so she told me I had to like it or lump it... I didn't eat that day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I still think the school needs to accommodate you or allow you to bring your own food. Or they could have a lawsuit on their hands (leave it to the American to bring up a lawsuit LOL). Are your parents willing to back you up and speak to the head teacher?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL yeah sure sue them all! :p
Perfect timing, too - I have parents evening in a couple of days, I could ask my Mum to bring it up then :)
Thank you for your help!

·
Banned
437 Posts
How do they get away with having that rule about not bringing your own food? What if you had a severe food allergy? Would you just not be admitted to the school?

I agree with the suggestion about getting your parents to back you up on this. Sounds like you're dealing with a bunch of jerks
A lot teachers/school staff have no problem treating younger people like garbage, but they'll choose their words more carefully around other adults.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Hey There,

sorry you are having to deal with this....I was gonna ask the same thing about allergies....hope your parents talk some sense into them and it works out.....good luck with everything

peaceful greetings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts