VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two years ago I became a vegan, and I gained allot of weight. I asked a doctor about this, and he recommended that I should start eating meat again (he was into the Eat Right For Your Blood Type, and I'm type 0). So about a year ago I started eating meat again, but at the same time I got Binge Eating Disorder, so I did not loose any weight. Now I think the eating disorder is recovered, and I want to try being a vegetarian again, but I am scared that I am going to gain weight. I don't know...I need some support!!!

Thanks,

Mandy

PS. Now I think back I was eating allot of nuts when I was a vegan, could this be the only reason for my weight gain?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Nuts are pretty close to 100% fat. You should limit yourself to a handful of nuts or a tablespoon of nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, etc) a day.

Beans and whole grains are a MUCH better protein source as far as keeping your weight in check goes (very low in fat, lots of fiber.)

Vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans should be the main focus of your diet. As long as you limit the treats (chocolate, chips, cookies, french fries, etc) you should be fine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
About two years ago I became a vegan, and I gained allot of weight. I asked a doctor about this, and he recommended that I should start eating meat again (he was into the Eat Right For Your Blood Type, and I'm type 0).
Yikes! If you haven't already done so, first thing I'd advise you to do is dump that doctor.

The truth is that you can be skinny or fat whether you are vegetarian or not. You are in control. You can control your weight by adjusting your calorie intake and the amount of physical activity. If you find that you are gaining unwanted weight exercise more and/or consume fewer calories.

·
Registered
780 Posts
By the way, I'm blood type O. According to the blood type diet I should be eating a lot of meat but haven't eaten meat for 17 years and am doing fine and don't have any weight issues. The blood type diet is just goofy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts