VeggieBoards banner
201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hei alle sammen!

I'm a fellow Scandinavian
More precisely from Oslo, Norway.

I absolutely love the video you posted Indian Summer. I laugh every time I see it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

(No offense to you Danish people!)
Hej med jer :)

nah, we're used to it
Everytime I meet a Norwegian (sometimes Swedes too) they start talking about that video - and to be honest I think it is absolutely hilarious as well. A lot of it actually does sound like danish, even for a dane.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Hmm, I guess it gets a bit old after a while then, sorry! I recently sent it to my cousin who has been living in Denmark for a decade and a half or so ... But she had seen it as well!

There are lots of good things to say about Denmark and I don't have a problem with Jyllandsk (jytsk?). I don't normally get to interact so much with other Scandinavians in real life (I live in England), but we've got a bloke where I work who is from Jylland (Jutland in English ...), and whenever we get together we get to speak "Skandinavisk", and no one else understands a word

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:

I've already posted this in another thread, but I think it's funny enough to be posted again, and besides it's relevant for inter-Scandinavian relations in any case:

(No offense to you Danish people!)
I remember I saw that one on tv!
good memories

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, why does Denmark have it's own thread and Sweden + Norway doesn't?

Alright, so Norway isn't exactly overrepresented by veggies

As it said in the beginning of the thread by Indian Summer - do NOT leave the large cities (as in, just don't f**kin' leave Oslo) unless you are totally prepared to cook for yourself. Seriously, on the norwegian veggie boards it's like 80-90% people from Oslo.

I live in Møre og Romsdal which is like hillbilly land really - it sucks here !

Oh, and last time I checked Iceland and Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. I'm not against it, I just want to point it out. I'm half a fin so ;D

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy_Mar View Post

So, why does Denmark have it's own thread and Sweden + Norway doesn't?
I think someone requested a Denmark thread, and Michael gave it to them because he's a nice guy, but maybe forgot that there was already a Scandinavia thread ... Anyway, it doesn't really matter

Quote:
I live in Møre og Romsdal which is like hillbilly land really - it sucks here !
Oouuh!! That's where I'm from as well! Do I know you in real life??!

It's a nice enough place with all the awe-inspiring nature and all, but not very socially progressive, unfortunately. I don't live there anymore, but I still miss certain aspects of life there.

Quote:
Oh, and last time I checked Iceland and Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. I'm not against it, I just want to point it out. I'm half a fin so ;D
Yeah, I think the thread should ideally be renamed to "The Nordic countries" to be more inclusive (and not create confusion about what is what).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:

I think someone requested a Denmark thread, and Michael gave it to them because he's a nice guy, but maybe forgot that there was already a Scandinavia thread ... Anyway, it doesn't really matter

Oouuh!! That's where I'm from as well! Do I know you in real life??!

It's a nice enough place with all the awe-inspiring nature and all, but not very socially progressive, unfortunately. I don't live there anymore, but I still miss certain aspects of life there.

Yeah, I think the thread should ideally be renamed to "The Nordic countries" to be more inclusive (and not create confusion about what is what).
Lol you might just know me cos it seems everyone knows everyone here xD haha

My mum is from here, but I've spent most my life (apart from the past 3-4 years) in Trondheim.

It DOES have some beautiful landscape but yes it sucks that everything here is so... old fashioned. I asked COOP Mega if they could take in some firm tofu, I was really nervous cos I hate asking for stuff. They said they'd talk to the lady who orders their things cos someone else had also been asking about tofu! yay !

And yes "Nordic Countries" cos it confuses people when they find out that Finland and Iceland is not part of scandinavia and it annoys me a bit - kind of like "Vegetarians don't eat fish??"

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockabillyVegan View Post

Finland isn't part of Scandinavia? Why is it included in travel books? Oy...

I'm going to Finland in January...I'm not sure what to expect
Finland is a perfectly nice country, but it's not in Scandinavia. Although Swedish, which is a Scandinavian language, is mother tongue to a minority of the population. Finland is a Nordic country, as are the three Scandinavian countries and Iceland.

Finland in January? Bring lots of warm clothes and good luck with that!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:

Finland is a perfectly nice country, but it's not in Scandinavia. Although Swedish, which is a Scandinavian language, is mother tongue to a minority of the population. Finland is a Nordic country, as are the three Scandinavian countries and Iceland.

Finland in January? Bring lots of warm clothes and good luck with that!
Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday!

I know this isn't the best time to go...but I'm going to be in England at the time and my friend wanted to go.

I don't speak a word of Finnish (I spent four hours trying to pronounce some phrases and nearly died! :p), I think I'll be okay though. I have a friend who has been there since August and he still doesn't speak a word of Finnish (only English and German).

I'll bring warm clothes though

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hello everyone! So the Nordic countries don't have their own thread, so I guess I'll post this here:

I got accepted to a university in Helsinki (well, to take the exam, I don't get accepted to the school until after the exam), is there anyone in the area?! I know a couple of people in Finland, but I'd love to meet someone who is vegan/vegetarian who lives in Finland

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
VB member Virpukka is in Finland. I'm not sure whereabouts exactly, but she may be able to give you some helpful tips, and I'm sure would be thrilled if you were close enough to each other to meet.

201 - 220 of 253 Posts