VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i always eat my "porridge" with fruit and sweet things , but im wondering can it be savory like add some nutritional yeast and veggies , does anyone have any recipies?

·
Registered
441 Posts
when i was a kid, i always had oats with salt instead of sugar. since, i've been diagnosed with celiac disease, but i eat quinoa flakes with nutritional yeast and chopped veggies, with fresh herbs, or i add a scoop in things like chili and curries.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
wow is that hot?
You get use to it. One time I bought some seaweed in a hot sauce. The first time I tried it I could hardly stand to eat a tiny bit of it. A few days latter I was eating it by the mouthful.

Oatmeal is sometimes used as an ingredient in savory bread so if you're into making bread you could use it that way.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am rather daring in my food and I have prepared a haggis like vegetarian dish using good oatmeal, herbs, vegetable broth and vegetarian hamburger. It tasted pretty good-- . I should probably work on "perfecting" the dish. You could use it as stuffing in peppers or tomatos. It might work.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The traditional way to eat it in Scotland is with salt. I forgot that when I was given some in a Scottish hospital once - was expecting nice sweet porridge. Not a good experience...Though it wasn't bad, just unexpected...

·
Registered
306 Posts
You know, you can make oat waffles with oats. You put 2/3 cup of raw cashews (unsalted/unroasted) in a blender, then add 1 cup of water and a tbsp of honey (if you eat it), then blend. Afterwards, stop the blender, then add 3 cups of dry rolled oats, and 3 cups of water slowly and keep blending. When done, make sure the batter is pourable, and either pour it into a waffle iron, or put on a skillet to make pancakes. These are all-natural, vegan, tasty, soft waffles/pancakes. They'll look grey though, but they're good. So basically, the ingredients are raw cashews, rolled oats, water, honey (optional) and that's it. Then, you can top them with whatever you like, hopefully all-natural stuff like raw peanut butter (just peanuts) or all-natural fruit spreads. Or plain i suppose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To let you know it always helps to cook the oatmeal with about 1/4 less water so it is drier and less soup like and add 2tsp salt before cooking. Once the oatmeal is made the sky is the limit!

I actually just tried this mexican version today (I live in a dorm room and this is the only things I had on hand and I have to eat! but it was pretty damn good!) Make a two person serving. Stir in One can of black beans (or can subsitute any other bean that can hold it's shape), half a cup of jalapenos, and a cup of mushrooms. Then season to taste with chili powder (i used about 2 tbsp) tumeric (1/2 tbsp) salt and pepper.

It was fantastic hot and even better once the flavors got a chance to meld together..HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.