VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saving necks is one of my favorite pastimes. Be they little spider necks that get caught in the house, chipmunks I have to extricate from my cat's jaws or baby birds pushed out of the nest. Nothing makes me happier than swooping in and saving a life. And depending on the circumstances, sometimes I can ride that particular neck-saving for several days.<br><br><br><br>
Let me tell you a story of a recent domesticated neck I saved. It was after school (I'm a teacher) and I was lying on my bed watching Roseanne. When I glimpsed out of the corner of my eye movement on the front porch I immediately ran to the window because I thought it was my cat and I wanted to rap on the pane so I could wave to her. I do love her so!<br><br><br><br>
When I got to the window I was surprised to find a white ferret on my front porch sniffing the wicker rocking chair! I ran to the door, thinking the animal would run off as soon as it saw me. But when I opened the door and stepped out he put his little ferret paws on my leg and gave me this beseeching look. I picked him up and said "this is your lucky day. Your neck has just been saved."<br><br><br><br>
After making some calls to various vets and putting signs up, no affirmative response came in so I knew I had to farm this animal out to someone as I am not a fan of ferrets. The next day at work I sent an email to the entire faculty asking if anyone wanted the perfect addition to their family. Actually I got several positive inquiries but finally settled on a guy in the math department who (with his loving wife) already had four ferrets! He said they were like his children and that he'd be happy to take on another. And so that day he came home with me, met the ferret and promptly took him to the vet.<br><br><br><br>
Later in the week I asked the new father how things were getting on. He said that Lucky (as in lucky son-of-a-ferret) actually was the perfect addition to their family as he was far more affectionate than any of their other ferrets. We also discussed how unlikely the whole situation was as poor Lucky was a sitting duck out there in the wilds of my subdivision and it would have only been a matter of time before he was picked off by some other predator. My colleague said that Lucky was quite thin when I found him and that he had probably been out for awhile. As I never had even one call inquiring about him, we could only conclude that some horribly cruel person DUMPED him in my neighborhood! That @#$%&*!<br><br><br><br>
Anyway, I lived off that neck saving for severaly weeks. Anyone else out there got a good story to add?

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Uh oh, Mister Death strikes again.<br><br><br><br>
I chase the frogs into hiding before I let the dog out back. At least they have a running start that way.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Oh, this wasn't me but my Dad, but I like to think that my influence helped.<br><br>
My parents have two ponds on which ducks like to hang out. I was at their place the other day and about 50 ducks landed on one of the ponds, which is always nice. Then these two guys drove in who we didn't even know and pulled up next to my Dad and I, apparently they'd been following the ducks and saw them land on our pond, they wanted to shot them! And my Dad was like, sorry, you can't shot them on our property. So they left, and the ducks were safe.<br><br><br><br>
I think they'd probably been shoting ducks from this particular group already which was why they were in the air, they made a good decision landing on our pond. Maybe they know that it's a safe place because there's been no shoting there for at least two years, since my parents moved there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my cat brought me fledgling bird that was completely unharmed and let me take it away without further interest.I took it to JSAC were they have a rehabber.- it couldn't fly.<br><br><br><br>
i think she wants kittens.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I can't even begin to count all the "necks" I have saved. From kittens to birds, to rabbits and snakes (love snakes!) and puppies, horses...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I still have the 4 rescue kittens that were going to be dumped off on the side of the road until someone decided to contact me.<br><br><br><br>
My mom and I were moving frogs into the garden while we powerwashed the outside of the house.<br><br><br><br>
Oh, and earlier this year I rescued 4 adult Siamese cats from owners who no longer wanted them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts